Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2020, 19:09   #1

Wink Recommendations to buy used monohull around 125K

Hey there.
My wife and I are looking to buy a used monohull for around 125K.

-Likely in the Med.
-42-50' ish
-max 25 years old
-could have 'some' work to do
-prefer a center console, but that price point may not be possible

What brands do you like?

What are you seeing the final settling price from asking in these Covid times?

Thanks very much!
boatsisboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 14:39   #2

Boat: Hunter 36
Re: Recommendations to buy used monohull around 125K

I've always loved the layout of the Beneteau 40 cc, sounds like it would be perfect for you. Moody also had a 40 cc although for your price it would have to be a little older. I don't have hands on experience with these boats though, sorry. Examples:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...40-cc-3722459/

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...40-cc-3513070/
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 14:44   #3

Boat: Hanse 430e

Hanse. 400, 430, 445 (may be a reach)

I bought a 2008 430 last year for right around $100k and immediately put $25k into running rigging, dodger & bimini, batteries, toilets, lots of stuff.
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 15:06   #4

rohan Thanks very much for the Beneteau Center Cockpit referral (and the Moody). Didn't know they existed. Really like them. Will look to see about a little bigger boat.

What seems to be happening now between the list price and where the deal finally settles? Any thoughts? Is it more determined by region? Very new to this.

Dogscout Thanks very much for the Hanse referral. Really like the boats, but don't like the 2 wheels at the very stern. Would like to feel more comfortable sailing over nights, weather, etc with a center console. Or at least not hanging off the rear

I really appreciate it.
Old 12-10-2020, 15:36   #5

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsisboats View Post
Hey there.

-Likely in the Med.
-42-50' ish
-max 25 years old

What brands do you like?

Thanks very much!
I was looking at Gulfstar 50 76 to 80 when I first got the bug for blue water. Wife did not like it.

A friend put me on to the Beneteau Idylle 1550/51. HIs father in-law owned it. I flew in to NYC to look at one and fell in love and have never fallen out of love.

Frers design. Same basic underbody was a Swan 51 which Frers was designing at the same time. Of course the fins are different. Idylle draws 6'4. Fantastic performance.

Comes 2 different configurations. Can be had for 75 to 100K US. They were only built from 85 to 87 but don't let that bother you. If you buy a a 25 yr old it will be 35 in 10 yrs. These things are not going anywhere.

They are tough as nails. Big sail plan so you can go in the medium and light stuff ( lots of boats will not even go in the medium stuff). Stable and strong

We have 1550 sq ft in a 600 sq main, 200 stay sail and 750 jib. At 20 knots apparent we are close reaching at 10 knots all sails flying. If we have to go close hauled we furl the big jib and we are still doing 6-7. We can carry full main and staysail pointing 28 degrees into about 24-25 knots and then we take a first reef. Broad reaching we in a decent breeze and we are over 12 knots

We have never been in weather were we needed a 2nd reef and we still have a 3rd reef we can go to.

Big strong rig with 9/16 lowers on a swept back rig. ( don't like the swept back but would not trade the boat over it. )

14 foot long chord on a 6'4 draft keel helps keep it straight in the waves and a deep hull so she does not pound. ( watch out for those modern shallow bodied deep fine elephant foot keels with a thin keel blade like a Beneteau 423... Lots of helm work to keep them straight in waves.)

Huge Cockpit.

Interior fit and finish is equivalent to Hylas today.
Interior room is phenomenal.
Lots of room, easy to move around, with hand holds all over.

Has a crew cabin in the front accessible from deck only. Emptied out you got room for anything you want.

Huge fridge depending on the year and options.

This is not your bimbo Beneteaus they build now. This is an around the world blue water cruiser.

Easily single handed

Ya.. everybody loves their own boat.

PM me if you want more info.
Sailor 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 15:48   #6

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
I've always loved the layout of the Beneteau 40 cc, sounds like it would be perfect for you. Moody also had a 40 cc although for your price it would have to be a little older. I don't have hands on experience with these boats though, sorry. Examples:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...40-cc-3722459/

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...40-cc-3513070/
I don't mind the look of CC but I find they have a lot of motion up there. I can get a bit sea sick on a stern cockpit but was on a CC last year reaching in 5-6 footers and I was over the stern pretty quick.

Definitely something to check out.

I absolutely love a Hylas 49 but your not getting one of those for 125 unless it is on the beach about 200 yds up with lots of broken things
Sailor 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 04:30   #7

Boat: Amel 50

Quote:
rohan Thanks very much for the Beneteau Center Cockpit referral (and the Moody). Didn't know they existed. Really like them. Will look to see about a little bigger boat.

What seems to be happening now between the list price and where the deal finally settles? Any thoughts? Is it more determined by region? Very new to this.

Dogscout Thanks very much for the Hanse referral. Really like the boats, but don't like the 2 wheels at the very stern. Would like to feel more comfortable sailing over nights, weather, etc with a center console. Or at least not hanging off the rear

I really appreciate it.
In the MED you will make 99% mooring with stern. So in such situation 2 wheels at stern are advantage. Easy to maneuver if you are 1-2 people onboard.
I do not question center console as advantage during the long passages but at MED overnight sailing is not so required - usually you can have anchorage to stay overnight with 1-2 hours of sailing.
Freshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 08:30   #8

Boat: Hanse 430e

If the open stern really bothers you, then maybe look at the Hanse 461. It is not a center cockpit, but it does have moulded in helm seats. I'd also look at a Grand Soliel 45. The GS 46 has a linear galley but the 45 has a L shaped galley.
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 11:03   #9

Boat: 2020 Amel 50

what is it you want to do with the boat? you can certainly get something for that price... but something more sporty for performance sailing that you can do light cruising with or something that you can live aboard on and be on anchor / away from resources for a while?

just you and your partner or room for others (for short or extended stays?)?

more data will help us give you better/more relevant advice.
Old 13-10-2020, 11:40   #10

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Hey there.

-Likely in the Med.
-42-50' ish
-max 25 years old

What brands do you like?

Thanks very much!
Moody 422 or 425 is a great center cockpit choice with design, layout and build quality. You may need to go to the early 90's or late 80's for these but if well maintained, these worth much more than newer common aft cockpit boats

Beneteau 40, 42, 44 CC - especially the 44 (Bruce Farr design)

Look at Dutch built boats from the 80-90's. Many are of unknown name, but built by serious boat builders, solid blue water cruisers CC that were well maintained by excellent original owners that are getting out of cruising.

Again, if you look at boats from the 80's you can find well maintained Oysters 435, Hallberg Rassy 42-46, Najad 40-46, Contest 40-46 that could get closer to your budget if you find a motivated winter time seller.

Would highly recommend to focus on well maintained boats, even few years older and eliminate any in a need of "some work" - in many cases, you realize the disclaimed work to be done hides years of neglect and poor maintenance that you'll only find later.

Don't be too hurry on that. At such times, the cash is the king
Old 14-10-2020, 12:45   #11

Thanks for all of the great comments!

Dark Horse. Great info. I will take a look at the Hylas and Beneteau Idylle 1550/51 !
Freshman. Those Med thoughts are good and valid, thanks
Dogscout. Great, I will look at the Hanse 461 and Grand Soleis
DeValency. Yes, we are taking a closer look at the Moody's and the Farr Beneteaus. Was wondering about the Najads and I have heard that the Oysters are very good boats - they look a little plain on the inside though...

OK, some more thoughts and questions on the subject, thanks for your help.
1. Would you prefer a CC if you were living on the hook for 6 months with many ports of call? Overnight sails, longer passages, ocean crossing, etc. Or do you like your stern wheel boats that much?
2. IF we decided to spend up to 230K or so, would your recommendations change? Super Maramu, Hallberg, or...
3. Could we find a good 45-50 footer for 125K that was essentially similar to a boat at twice the price? Are you paying for 'newness' (opportunity cost) mainly with a newer, more expensive boat?
4. If money were not the main consideration, for the above cruising description, how long of a boat would you buy? Two of us on the boat for months at a time with occasional others (up to 4) from time to time.
5. Is this a good time to buy a boat? They don't seem to have falled much due to Covid.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR EXPERTISE AND OPINION!

Current boat options:
Beneteau Oceanis CC
Moody CC
Amel Super Maramu
Najad CC

Wondering about what you think about these boats:
Hunter CC
Tayana
Old 14-10-2020, 17:53   #12

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Looks like you may want to have a clear idea of the areas to be sailed at.

If you go up the size towards the 50', you may already get a nice bow cabin with an aft cockpit. In the Med, aft cockpits have an advantage in anchoring and docking as in many places your only access is from the aft side/swimming platform.

For ocean crossing and longer offshore cruising periods, a center cockpit (CC) with real "Blue Water Cruiser" bones, as suggested above - but there is a significant price tag on it.

Although personally I'm a big fan of a CC, if sailing mainly in the Med, you are going to have short cruises of no more than 3-4 days offshore, you should be fine with an aft cockpit boat - you'll get a newer boat for your money and the inventory to choose from is probably 100x higher.

Few *comments within your message below here:

Quote:
Thanks for all of the great comments!

Dark Horse. Great info. I will take a look at the Hylas and Beneteau Idylle 1550/51 !
Freshman. Those Med thoughts are good and valid, thanks
Dogscout. Great, I will look at the Hanse 461 and Grand Soleis
DeValency. Yes, we are taking a closer look at the Moody's and the Farr Beneteaus. Was wondering about the Najads and I have heard that the Oysters are very good boats - they look a little plain on the inside though...
*Plain?... these are usually among the more posh boats inside and out...

OK, some more thoughts and questions on the subject, thanks for your help.
1. Would you prefer a CC if you were living on the hook for 6 months with many ports of call? Overnight sails, longer passages, ocean crossing, etc. Or do you like your stern wheel boats that much?
* See my comments above

2. IF we decided to spend up to 230K or so, would your recommendations change? Super Maramu, Hallberg, or...
* For ocean crossing and long periods on board - definitely, but kind of overkill for most Med sailing plans and destinations

3. Could we find a good 45-50 footer for 125K that was essentially similar to a boat at twice the price? Are you paying for 'newness' (opportunity cost) mainly with a newer, more expensive boat?
*Unless you have very good connections in the industry, boatyards and marinas all over, where you could find desperate sellers that need the cash right away, with under the radar boats, it is very unlikely

4. If money were not the main consideration, for the above cruising description, how long of a boat would you buy? Two of us on the boat for months at a time with occasional others (up to 4) from time to time.
*Personally, I think the max size of a boat for a safe operation by a couple should be under 45'. If you have a higher budget, you can make sure to have more electric winches and other gadgets to make life easier, but I wouldn't go to a larger boat - maybe just a newer one, out of the best make and model.

5. Is this a good time to buy a boat? They don't seem to have falled much due to Covid.
*The end of the season is the best time, and this ended season was probably the worse ever. I see significant prices drop - not with all boats, but definitely with those applicable for the Med

THANK YOU FOR YOUR EXPERTISE AND OPINION!

Current boat options:
Beneteau Oceanis CC
Moody CC
Amel Super Maramu
Najad CC

Wondering about what you think about these boats:
Hunter CC * I wouldn't consider a Hunter except daysailing and short inshore weekends
Tayana
Again, if you mainly plan on the Med, I would suggest to look at Beneteau, Jeanneau, Elan and other good and modern aft cockpit (large transom and cockpit). I would not recommend Hanse and most Bavaria models.
Old 14-10-2020, 18:04   #13

Thanks again DeValency

That's the hard part. If all goes right, we will sail this boat anywhere and everywhere. The Med idea was a likely starting point...
Totally understand that different regions would have different needs. I'm looking for a good all around Blue water cruiser 45-52'.
Old 16-10-2020, 05:12   #14

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...ll-43-3661204/
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 06:26   #15

Boat: Irwin, 44

Quote:
Hey there.

-Likely in the Med.
-42-50' ish
-max 25 years old

What brands do you like?

Thanks very much!
Take a look at a CSY 44 , I have the cheaper Irwin version but they are great boats. I have a " wlak over" cockpit which means the master cabin aft is onlay accesible by going theough the cock pit( no hall way below). This makes the cocl pit big and comforatable and provides real privacy between cabins.
They sail well, versitle with the cutter rig. At that price you should get a nice one with a gen set and newere diesel.

Tom
gtwashio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, men, monohull