Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2020, 09:41   #1

Boat: Newport 30 mk11
questions about anchor chain

My question is about what anchor chain would be best for my boat and cruising area. I am going to put a new windlass on my 30ft Newport and will need to know what chain i will be using. I currently have 25ft of chain and 150ft of 5/8 road. I would like to have 100 ft of chain and 150ft of rode. I will be using the boat for about 5yrs in the Caribbean central America mostly around panama . I want to buy some thing that could be easily obtained in that area if the need should arise. I also worry about weight. Would like to hear from people who have done some serious cruising in that area. Thankyou for any info. Charley
trapoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:48   #2

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462
Re: questions about anchor chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapoc View Post
My question is about what anchor chain would be best for my boat and cruising area. I am going to put a new windlass on my 30ft Newport and will need to know what chain i will be using. I currently have 25ft of chain and 150ft of 5/8 road. I would like to have 100 ft of chain and 150ft of rode. I will be using the boat for about 5yrs in the Caribbean central America mostly around panama . I want to buy some thing that could be easily obtained in that area if the need should arise. I also worry about weight. Would like to hear from people who have done some serious cruising in that area. Thankyou for any info. Charley
Been cruising a little in Panama, Honduras, Belize. 200' of 1/4" high test chain is what I would go with on your boat. Why not go all chain? The small weight on the bow is nothing to think about - you are cruising not racing. Probably good to splice about 100' more of your 5/8 rope beyond the 200' chain or have an easy way to shackle it on if you need to anchor real deep. Usually Carib side is real shallow.

With chain you don't have to worry about rocks or coral. Of course we all avoid damaging coral, but in the event you accidentally get the rode across some, you don't want to chafe that rope.

As for replacing it in the Carib, there are boatyards around Panama City that can probably order it for you. But the chances of losing the chain are extremely remote.

You will of course have a backup anchor and your old 25' chain-rope rode stowed down low somewhere?
Old 08-10-2020, 11:19   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

"But the chances of losing the chain are extremely remote" but I managed to do it. Be sure that the tail end is really secured before dropping chain at depth.....
Old 08-10-2020, 11:33   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

In a similar hull we are using 8mm chain (I believe this is close to 5/8 imperial). We have 100' of it now but I will get a full bucket (I think one bucket of 8 mm chain is 168 ft of it). When I get more chain, I will shorten the rope tail.

Anchor 33 pounder.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 17:36   #5

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
In a similar hull we are using 8mm chain (I believe this is close to 5/8 imperial). We have 100' of it now but I will get a full bucket (I think one bucket of 8 mm chain is 168 ft of it). When I get more chain, I will shorten the rope tail.

Anchor 33 pounder.

b.
8MM=5/16” and 16MM=5/8” (not precisely of course)
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 18:17   #6

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

After installing a windlass , I purchased a sample of the chain that was spooked to fit the gypsy. Once confirmed as a good fit, I bought 150 feet and spliced 200 ft of 5/8 rode on.
Gypsys can be selective on what they fit and some chain is not what is described.
I would recommend you pick out your windlass first, then buy chain to fit
Old 08-10-2020, 18:19   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

I am sorry.

Yes. 5/16.

I always get lost in imperial fractions expressed as A/B rather than .x

Thank you for correcting me.

8mm chain is what we have. Boat about 4t metric, loaded.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:45   #8

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Your windlass will dictate what size chain and or rope you will be using. A chain stopper and two sets of bridles would be a good idea. You do not want to use the windlass as the chain stopper. 1/4 G43 or G4 high tensile chain would be fine as would 5/16 G43 or BBB. Make sure you get the chain and rope specified by the windlass manufacturer. I would consider 200' chain and 100' line with the last 60' a floating line. If you ever have to drop the whole shebang in a hurry the floating rope will give you a better chance of finding it later and not have to worry about getting some kind of float on the end of it.

Make sure your windlass has enough power to pick up all your chain and anchor if in deep water then maybe buy the next size up. Wire it in with proper size cables.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:08   #9

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

[QUOTE=pesarsten;
Gypsys can be selective on what they fit and some chain is not what is described.
I would recommend you pick out your windlass first, then buy chain to fit[/QUOTE]
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:36   #10

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

I second the suggestion that you buy your chain after your windlass. Make sure that the windlass is properly sized to handle your boats chain load requirements and that you have sufficient cable size to run it. For ease of use I put a relay switch in my cockpit to run the windlass when I am single handing. Also think about how you are going to mark your chain for depth before you load it into the chain locker. Just some thoughts.
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:00   #11

Boat: Nordic 44

Most windlass manufacturers give you a choice of gypsys. So buy the right gypsy for the chain you want to use. Contact the windlass seller or manufacturer to see what choices are available.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:03   #12

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

" with the last 60' a floating line. If you ever have to drop the whole shebang in a hurry the floating rope will give you a better chance of finding it later and not have to worry about getting some kind of float on the end of it." Such a simple idea. I think I will use it.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:11   #13

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivevon View Post
" with the last 60' a floating line. If you ever have to drop the whole shebang in a hurry the floating rope will give you a better chance of finding it later and not have to worry about getting some kind of float on the end of it." Such a simple idea. I think I will use it.
And you will be cursed by the boater that snags your floating anchor rode and damages their prop. Don't use floating line - use a fender to mark the line.

A long time ago I snagged a lobster pot off the coast of South Africa, it had hundreds of feet of floating line attached to it. I dragged it a couple of miles before I could get it off. Fortunately no damage and there were 29 crayfish in the pot. Good eating.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:16   #14

Boat: Beneteau 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivevon View Post
It seems like a good idea but the floating line is hazard to navigation for all the other boats in the area. Even one with a small buoy is really not a good idea. If you are in a remote enough area with no other boats then go for it.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:37   #15

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Yes - I thought about that hazard but I have a lot of 1/4 inch orange polypropylene doing nothing in my garage (cant remember exactly why) which would do the job nicely. My rope cutter will (unfortunately, has in the past) cut easily through 18mm nylon (about 3/4 inch diameter) on tickover without blinking so I thought 1/4 inch shouldn't cause anyone any problems.
You have got a rope cutter, I assume ...??
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor