Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2016, 11:55   #1

Reasons to stay "Monohull"

Greetings,

I'm asking this here vs a more "vs" question on the cat side of things

I am just starting to actually align my life with long distance sailing/living aboard. Whereas in the past few years I have just been dreaming. I plan to attend sailing schools this year into next. Possibly make the serious move to start the purchasing process later part of next year.

Though I have no sailing-by-wind experience, I have been to sea many times and for very long periods. Also I own a mechanical/heavy fabrication business which affords me knowledge in mechanical systems, and the ability to easily learn marine applications.

So my question: what keeps the monohull market so plentiful when you hear all the good "benefits" of catamaran sailing? It seems like everyone would want a cat vs a monohull based on the rants I read? With cost subtracted from the equation please (I do not yet know the extent of my budget), why do you stay monohull?

Thank you so much

Regards,

Adam J
Jadam79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:08   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Reasons to stay "Monohull"

[quote]why do you stay monohull?[quote]

I like them...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:11   #3

Boat: None
Re: Reasons to stay "Monohull"

There exists only one reason to choose a boat: it's the one you like best.

Everything else is just rationalizing your choice to convince others.
Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:28   #4
vjm

Cost and beauty. I personally find cats (mostly) extremely ugly.

I wouldn't even worry about this issue until you sail a bit on both. It's a totally personal thing.
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:33   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjm View Post

I wouldn't even worry about this issue until you sail a bit on both. It's a totally personal thing.

I get that... And I plan too do exactly that. I guess that is the reason for asking my question in the first place. I see all the benefits to the cats, but I find myself attracted to the lines and simplicity of the monohulls. Honestly, on looks alone, I've fallen for the Oyster 46/475 line
Old 02-04-2016, 12:44   #6

Boat: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjm View Post

You had me completely at beauty ... but not sure I buy into the cost argument at all. When you compare a cat to a mono of the same approximate age, condition, and roominess, the cat is very often cheaper.
Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 13:03   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadam79 View Post
I get that... And I plan too do exactly that. I guess that is the reason for asking my question in the first place. I see all the benefits to the cats, but I find myself attracted to the lines and simplicity of the monohulls. Honestly, on looks alone, I've fallen for the Oyster 46/475 line
When it comes to aesthetics... Well you like what you like.

Personally I think <30' cats look a little rediculious. The freeboard just looks too big for the hulls. It's like all the deminsions are off a little bit. For me, this holds true op to about 45' at which point the longer hulls seem to fit with the house and everything falls into place. Past 45' cats just look right.

Interesting enough I think the same thing about center cockpits. They just don't work to my eye until the boat length gets close to 45'.

What I would point out is that if the Oyster is in your budget, then so are some very classic multihulls. The Lagoon 500 is pretty much par for the course, but a 55 Outreamer is as well, and I think that is one incredibly pretty boat.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 13:09   #8

I have owned both. Cats are much harder to maintain. 2 engines-huge areas of deck to clean the bird dung from. Ditto inside. Dockage costs much more and can be very hard to find. They don't lean as much but also don't usually go into wind much. Also don't have much of a 'in the grove" sailing feel. Also cost more initially. However monos are not the end all be all either.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 13:11   #9

Stumble,

My eye is trained on the Lagoon 42 or 52, along with the Outremer 5x. My concern arises when having to handle the vessel alone as I may be a solo nomadic sailor... I am 36 and very fit (at least I tell myself that). A concern is to be on a cat of mentioned sizes alone; seems I may feel swallowed by all the space. I am experienced maneuvering twin screw small craft in tight spaces though FYI.
Old 02-04-2016, 13:18   #10

Here is another consideration. SPEED! many cats have it-few monos due until you get past 50ft. However at speeds above 10-12 knots on a cat the wind that makes this possible also brings with it waves (speaking of open oceans here). As Richard Woods, noted speedy catamaran designer says---"when going fast thru waves in a cat people are basically hanging on-not reading a book, cooking, sleeping-just hanging on.
Old 02-04-2016, 13:24   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadam79 View Post
Stumble,

My eye is trained on the Lagoon 42 or 52, along with the Outremer 5x. My concern arises when having to handle the vessel alone as I may be a solo nomadic sailor... I am 36 and very fit (at least I tell myself that). A concern is to be on a cat of mentioned sizes alone; seems I may feel swallowed by all the space. I am experienced maneuvering twin screw small craft in tight spaces though FYI.
The last 2 you mentioned will require a boat boy to keep it clean and perhaps a knowledgeable captain to keep it repaired and clean. these can fly to where ever you sail to and go to work.
Old 02-04-2016, 13:32   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

You suggest not to consider cost, but that's a huge factor to dismiss. Some have mentioned aesthetics.

It's probably important to note that many people are not uncomfortable with the movement of a monohull in the sea. Some find the more "jerky", yet more level, motion of a catamaran less desirable that the steady heel.

The availability of slips favors the monohull.

The increased space of a catamaran may not be an attraction. We do not use the space available on our 41' monohull.

I have nothing against catamarans, just as I am not biased against fin keels, deep drafts, sloops & cutters, plumb bows, sugar scoops, CQR anchors or ferro-cement hulls.
For me, the debate between monohull and catamaran carries about as much interest as the debate between center and aft cockpit. I just can't get too emotional about it or see much of a reason to promote one over the other.

Oh, I read back before submitting and forgot speed. Right! That's why I have a sailboat,- the need for speed! If I want to be somewhere fast, I usually book a flight!
Old 02-04-2016, 13:39   #13

Hudson,

I dismiss cost for a simple fact not to confuse the discussion or limit the conversation. As stated, I own a business, which in turn means I could have "x amount" if business is doing well, or have "y amount" if it is struggling. Therefore cost isn't a factor at this very moment.

This will be my home until I'm too old to do anything else. I know my love with the open ocean is not a whim... I've been there before. Now in my matured self it is calling to me once again.
Old 02-04-2016, 13:42   #14

To all,

Thank you so much for the replies and input. Your experience is invaluable to someone like myself.
Old 02-04-2016, 13:57   #15

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Jadam79,

For us, it was largely the fact that we had over 30 yrs. experience sailing monohulls. Before we had located the boat we have now, we were romancing a catamaran, and were aware that we would be on a steep part of the learning curve, in terms of our sailing "instincts." I am prone to seasickness in jerky motion, and was concerned that the motion on cats is "twitchier". The cat had two engines to maintain, and an inordinate number of heads to keep clean. Although ready to put an offer on a cat we liked, when we heard this boat was available, we jumped on it in a flash.

In some ways, i don't think the aesthetic is too important; I think you learn to like your boat, and come to think she's pretty, because of the affection, which develops more and more as you accumulate miles together and trust.

We are not fond of saildrives and the difficulties with maintaining them. I'd go with shaft drive with either mono or cat.

When it's time to re-rig, the wire for the cat will cost more, I think, because it is of greater diameter size, but this would only be a small cost.

Catamarans do get to go places where having shallower draft makes it possible for them. In the long haul, only my opinion, but I prefer to anchor out where there are less bugs, so many of the multihull niches don't fit with my bug intolerance; and we've formed the habit of moving with the tides, and planning to have enough water when it's time to cross the "skinny bits." But the cats would go on past, whenever they wanted, and you could certainly make a case for that!

The feel of sailing on a cat is more distant, to me, than being on a mono: I feel more part of the blend of the elements of wind and sea on a boat that heels. Please not how very subjective this feedback is. If I were to give you a suggestion, I would suggest spending some time sailing both types in similar weather (so you're comparing experiences for similar conditions), and see if you can put into words what you like better about each. Then decide based on your gut evaluation. Jim and I are living proof you can sail a monohull into your latter 70's.

Ann

Tags
hull, monohull