Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2013, 19:01   #31

Boat: Niagara 35
Re: Questions About a Prairie 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepshank View Post
KInd of like Johnny Cash's "A boy named Sue" huh? , NIAGRA ?falls.You probably smell funny too.
LOL! Good point.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 19:55   #32

Boat: csy 37

back in the 1980's a dockmate of mine in fort lauderdale did a six month trip to the bahamas in a prairie. his son accompanied him part of the way.

he thought the boat was ultimately strong, but that was it. said it sailed poorly (admittedly, he was not an experienced sailor) and was an uncomfortable liveaboard. said he always felt like he was living in the cellar. also thought the cockpit was way too small. when he came back he sold the boat for $20k and left the sea - went home to new mexico....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 08:03   #33

Boat: Prairie32

I will be taking her out in a couple weeks for the first time.I will post back with my interpratation of her sailing characteristics then.So far she fits most of the pysical characeristics that i am looking for in a boat. modified full keel, cutter rgged,external chainplates to hull ,stern hung rudder, hand layed hull,small cockpit, some not all new sails, minimal initial investment,granted have put more money into it now, 4.5 hours by car from my mountain home. .Anyway thanks for posting.Nam mi o ho ren ge kio
Sheepshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 09:58   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepshank View Post
I will be taking her out in a couple weeks for the first time.I will post back with my interpratation of her sailing characteristics then.So far she fits most of the pysical characeristics that i am looking for in a boat. modified full keel, cutter rgged,external chainplates to hull ,stern hung rudder, hand layed hull,small cockpit, some not all new sails, minimal initial investment,granted have put more money into it now, 4.5 hours by car from my mountain home. .Anyway thanks for posting.Nam mi o ho ren ge kio
At the end of the day its about the sailing...good luck...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:57   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Kirby 30

Boat here in Annapolis sold. Enthusiastic new owner so she should be sailing before too long.
Mike Meer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 13:37   #36

just purchased hull #2 and working on a few changes, would love to talk to other owners about a few options. Also I Perry's review in print anywhere?
quintessence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:37   #37

Boat: Prairie32

Pm me if you want to chat.If you have any luck getting in touch with the p32 owners group let me know.My Prairie project is well underway.Congrats on your new boat.
Sheepshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 08:30   #38
cruiser

Boat: Current Bristol 32, past Columbia 26, Tahiti Ketch

In answer to the several posts whose authors couldn't quite seem to comprehend the name of this design - "Prairie": I would remind you of the VERY famous term "Prairie Schooner", which "prairie schooner wagon covered with white canvas, made famous by its almost universal use in the migration across the Western prairies and plains".

It may be that the name originally came from the looks of these ubiquitous covered wagons:

http://images.encyclopedia.com/utili...=300&width=300

The tall "rig" on these wagons even looked salty. Ergo, the name of the seagoing "Prairie" seems rather appropriate, historical and worthy. Per this resource:

"PRAIRIE SCHOONER, a wagon used for long-distance travel and freight transport in the nineteenth century. The wagon was made with six or seven arching wooden bows supporting a canvas cover. Seen from a distance, the vehicle so resembled a ship at sea as to suggest the name. Mormons, California gold-seekers, emigrants to Oregon, freighters operating on the Great Plains, and settlers seeking homesteads all used the schooner after it was brought into common use in the Santa Fe trade soon after 1821. It was not only the chief means for the transportation of goods, but it also provided a home for pioneer families as they journeyed west in search of land."

Works for me.
Capn Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 20:12   #39

Does anyone no the value of these boats
Brad1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 19:33   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1111 View Post
Does anyone no the value of these boats
It would depend, to a very large extent, on their condition.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 18:36   #41

Boat: prairie cutter 32

I own a prairie cutter 32' and i am redoing it .Does any one has any plan for the sail set up .
pnvalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 14:50   #42

Boat: prairie cutter 32

I own a prairie cutter 32 and did a lot of renovation in the galley and on deck.Question i have some problems tacking under one sail ,Main or genoa.I get speed around 5knot start to tack as soon as she is right in the wind she stay there and turn back to where i start .How can i solve that problem.
pnvalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:08   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnvalen View Post
I own a prairie cutter 32 and did a lot of renovation in the galley and on deck.Question i have some problems tacking under one sail ,Main or genoa.I get speed around 5knot start to tack as soon as she is right in the wind she stay there and turn back to where i start .How can i solve that problem.
Hi unfortunately this is the sort of the design issues that Bob Perry was talking about. You could try contacting him directly to see if he has any advise for you.

I would suggest , sail with 2 sails, use the engine to help tack, tack really fast don't give it a chance to go in 'stays'.
You could try playing with the rake on the mast. Your problem comes from the mast location, to far aft and hullshape , center of balance( hull) and center of effort( sails) are all confused by poor design. , read the first post.
Cheers Warren
Warren149 is offline   Reply With Quote