Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2008, 07:02   #1

Questions About a Prairie 32

Does anyone know the sailing characteristics of a Prairie Boat Works Prairie Cutter 32? The ballast, displacement and beam are vary similar to a Westsail 32 but the Prairie has its mast exactly amidships and has most of its beam astern of the mast. A Westsail's mast is further forward and a has much more beam forward of amidships. It would seem the Priaire would be unstable and hard to balance, especially off shore or in a blow.

Any help would be appreciated.
Bluegrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:30   #2

Boat: prairie32 cutter
I see it has been some time since your post. In case you havent had any reply il gve you some info from personal exp. I own and sail extensively a prairie 32.
they do have some weather helm but that can be overcome with proper sail trim and a well ballanced rudder, ie: a dry one!! In heavy seas they tend to hobby horse a bit so one has to work to slide down off steep seas sideways. the aft deck area can become quite wet due to the amt of water taken over the bow. taht being said the boat is very boyant and it is impressive how much water one can take on deck and still bob like a cork. I have been in hurricain force winds with very heavy seas off the coast of canada,washington and or and never once felt I was unsafe.
I know this boat well and have lots of info if you like,

topgallant32
TOPGALLANT32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 15:26   #3

Boat: On the Hard
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPGALLANT32 View Post
I know this boat well and have lots of info if you like,

topgallant32
This is funny. Im looking at a project vessel and would love to learn more about it. I would be interested in whatever info you may have. Best regards
and thanks

/ch
sailias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 11:04   #4
cruiser

The Prairie 32 was one of the strangest designs I have ever had to review.
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 22:00   #5

Boat: Prairie 32
I recently purchased a prairie 32. If there's any advice you'd give to a new buyer, I'd appreciate it.
mag395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 16:24   #6

Boat: contessa 32
Re: Questions about a Prairie 32

I could never understand why a boat would be called a prairie in the first place. How un natuical.Might try"subway","desert", or 'abyss". Just doesn't make me want to go to sea.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:59   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Questions About a Prairie 32

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, mag395.

Congratulations on your new boat.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 19:34   #8

i recently purchased a p-32, hull #3 and am in the process of getting it able to be afloat again. will have lots of questions as the work proceeds, but now i need info on the tiller. previous owner reglassed the rudder. The original tiller was unable to be repaired and was trashed years ago. during the reglass work, the 2 side brackets which the tiller is attached were also removed, are available and in good shape. What size tiller is needed.....and what placements are the side brackets supposed to be mounted on the rudder....how many bolts go into the tiller and at what height above the top of the rudder for starters. all help including pics will be appreciated.
winjamerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 19:39   #9

is your review available online or in a particular magazine?
Old 22-06-2011, 20:42   #10

Boat: Prairie 32

Hi, winjamerk. Welcome to the very exclusive Prairie 32 family. Topgallant32 knows much more than I do but he is sometimes hard to get a hold of. This is what he told me about the boat:
-----
The boat was designed and built by George S Hahn. They built 35 of the 32 ft boats 5 or 6 39s and 2 41 ft models then he went into trawler production. He built hundreds of Prairie trawlers which are found all over the world.
The P32 is a sweet sailing little boat and easy to single hand. The only complaint TopGallant32 had is that she can be a little wet in steep short seas. Not quite boyant enough in the bow. She is very comfortable in a seaway with all the ballast in the keel,7500 lbs of lead down there!!. The cutter rig is great and gives one lots of choices for sails in all kinds of weather.

They are bullit proof. The hull below water line is over 1 1/4 inches thick. There are a few probs to look out for one being the bolts that hold the deck to the hull. They should be pulled and rebedded for sure. None of them had very good bow rollers.

You wont find many P32 owners out there. Apparently there are only about 16 or so still afloat. One went down in a bad storm off the coast of Honduras and 2 or three were trashed in hurricains in fla and Lou. Apparently there's one in Boston and one in Novascotia as well.
------

I am not near my boat right now and I don't have any pictures of the rudder with me. Attached below is a picture of my existing tiller. So something around this size will do. As you can see, it needs to be refinished or remade.

As for the bolts and the height above the rudder, I can get you more exact measurements when I'm near my boat in about a week. For the time being, here are links to two nice P-32's that you can see the tiller and see the bolt pattern on. Maybe they'll give you some insight. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful right now.

32 Foot Prairie Sloop W

Sailboat For Sale: 32
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Prairie 2.jpg
Views:	919
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	28884  
mag395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 17:42   #11

Working on buying hull 27.

Bill
madman960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 13:51   #12

Thanks for the replies on the tiller. i'll have the lower rudder bracket for the tiller in 2 weeks and will install it, then get to work on the tiller. i note my earlier post indicated hull #3 which is incorrect.....it's hull #23 from 1978. hope to hear from others as my work progresses. i'd like to see some interior pics of cruising prairie 32's if any of you can share. v-berth area seem short and wondered if anyone attempted a pullman type dbl in that area. i'm considering a sink & head combo on the stb side to gain more berth room for a pullman on the port side. just in the thinking stage at present.
Old 15-12-2011, 13:52   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman960 View Post
Working on buying hull 27.

Bill
well, did you get it?
Old 17-12-2011, 06:08   #14

Not yet. Should have everything worked out in about a week.

Bill
Old 17-12-2011, 08:00   #15

Winjamerk;

Where are you located? I am in Beaufort SC.

Bill