Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2017, 08:24   #1

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27
Outfitting costs to date...

Hello All. This post is directed to those new to boat ownership, thinking about buying a boat, potential liveaboards, newbies and wannabes in order to provide a hint at outfitting costs on an older sailboat to be used as a liveaboard.

Background here first. I currently live in Egypt working in the boat and yacht repair industry and will be repatriating to the US in 46 days (but who's counting) after being gone for 20 years next month....time to come home. No living family to come back too, no particular place I have to be, military pension coming in every month, so bought a little pocket cruiser to live on doing some COASTAL CRUISING while I figure out where I want to go or do.

So, paid $6500 for the boat off the internet, had it surveyed, have a list of items that need to be addressed, plus other items that need to be done in order to make the boat a full liveaboard.

As such I am sharing my spreadsheet here for informational purposes for those that are just starting out. I'm sure that other, more "salty" boaters and cruisers out there will chime in and provide advice and/or criticism of my outfitting list. No matter. This is what I have spent to date without having stepped onboard. Again, for informational purposes only ya'll
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Initial Outfitting.pdf (155.2 KB, 541 views)
Old 25-02-2017, 14:22   #2

Re: Outfitting costs to date...

Is that 6K US$ or Egyptian Pounds?
Crazy Talk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 15:03   #3

Boat: Catalina 470

The thing with outfitting is being honest about " needs and wants" and often wants become needs if you have the money!

I purchased my current boat 3 months ago, it was in exceptional condition. Modifying it to my "needs (wants)" as so far set me back 45k aud. Of course I was trying to deny (lie) to myself what I was spending but numbers dont lie, I added them up two days ago.

Its very kitted out now BUT time to pull my head in and go cruising. Time to live within my means!!!

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 21:01   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Talk View Post
Is that 6K US$ or Egyptian Pounds?
LOL! It's US$ (6K Egyptian Pounds is only about $400 +/-)
Old 26-02-2017, 08:24   #5

Boat: Hunter 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknishn View Post
I ... military pension coming in every month, so bought a little pocket cruiser to live on doing some COASTAL CRUISING while I figure out where I want to go or do.

So, paid $6500 for the boat off the internet, had it surveyed, have a list of items that need to be addressed, plus other items that need to be done in order to make the boat a full liveaboard.
First, thank YOU for your service, Teknishn. My pop and son are Purple Heart recipients but in different wars (Korea/Iraq), so I have a special place in my heart for folks who serve.

With that said, thanks again for the lists, it is already proving itself very useful. I've also purchased a boat recently (Hunter 27) and spend about half of what you did. Plan is to maintain it well, sail it a lot, and then sell it -- hopefully at the right time -- to then purchase a bigger boat (which will likely take way more of my money). Your list has not only give me some ideas but some of the responses here have helped to see how quickly the price can get out of hand.

For what it is worth, the recommendations I've heard from folks I've met at the docks and yacht club is to set a priority list of no more than 10 items; the preference is actually to make the list only five five items. These are the top priority, the things that will sink the boat if not tended or that items that keep you in dry or wet storage until they are fixed.

Next, set you season budget so that it is realistic and obtainable. Hopefully, you are the type that has some extra money when this list is made, but if not these are the things that will keep you afloat. Anything that is extra must come from the extra money left over after finishing your priority list.

When making that "want" list, the items that are not priority, you'll then want to create a desired order list. For me that means getting maybe 2 or 3 things each month, for the expensive stuff (over $50), and up to six or seven things each month for the less expensive stuff.

The last thing (and I kind of think it may be the first thing) is to decide the "life" of your boat. In my case I'd like to use the boat one year, maybe two if I really want to extend the ownership option. If your boat is a lifetime boat, a 5-year project, or a season to season boat the idea is to include the life of the boat (the length of owning) into the priority system. That means it is easier to not buy that new shiny bit that fits on top of the Bimini frame if the purchase simply means enjoying the shiny bit for a few months. I can more easily save my money that way, and that means more money for the bigger boat.

I look forward to reading the responses to this thread and from hearing from you as you endeavor to spend all your pension on a small floating obsession.
doc_cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 09:38   #6

doc_cj,
Thanks for the reply. The outfitting list that I have shared is what I know I need in order to move aboard the boat as a full time liveaboard (OK, the Paintball Gun is more of a want, I admit ). You don't even want to see my wish list! I have a healthy enough bank account to not have to worry about unforeseen problems. I went with the Hunter 27 because that is the largest boat that I had single-handed in years past (Columbia 27 I owned in another life), the Cherubini hulls have a good reputation (which the marine survey bears out), I like the interior layout, and well, the boat just sang to me after reviewing all of the photos and documentation provided by the previous owner. The boat is pretty much turn-key with the exception of needing bottom paint. Items that need to be addressed are in the 12-VDC systems. They all tested satisfactorily, but me.. working as a marine electrician, welder, pipefitter, mechanic and having taught and trained repair and troubleshooting in 3 different country's navies...I tend to be a bit anal about my electrical systems (MIL-SPEC Baby, MIL-SPEC....)

The point that you make about determining the "life" of the boat is spot on and one which I have already considered. I have my boat "life" set at 9 months to a year, might stretch to two if I'm still having fun adventures.

What I may not have adequately expressed in my original post was that I am repatriating to the US after living abroad for nearly 20 years, have no living family to go back too, no US driver's license, no health care other than what the VA will provide (luckily have no health issues that I'm aware of) and no job (and I'm not looking for one at the moment either), don't know where I want to go back to in the States and I don't have to be anywhere. My last visit to the States was 10 years ago and I can honestly say that I don't know my own country anymore and as such, will have to go through an adapting process if that makes sense (Changing mannerisms, hand language, speech patterns, etc.). I'm returning with a single backpack (shipped other items), basic handtools (we're metric here), no power tools (we're 220-VAC here) and a couple of disposable cheap Chinese-made changes of clothes until I can buy a few pair of proper Levi's, Hanes undies and socks, shirts with proper sleeve lengths, and a decent pair of shoes that will last more than a month.

So I bought a little boat that costs about the same or less as renting an apartment in some city I may or may not like, buying furniture, setting up the utilities, etc., etc.,...that, and being anchored to shore. No thanks.

The priority list of 10 items that you mention? Well that works great for day sailors and weekenders, but not liveaboards. Priorities change when outfitting a boat for full-time liveaboard where comfort and safety needs and requirements have to move to a different level for long term sustainability.

I'll be honest here....bought the boat off the internet, had it surveyed, and am damned scared of what it will be like to "come home" after all these years. This is gonna be one heck of an adventure and I'm looking forward to it!
Old 26-02-2017, 09:56   #7

Boat: 1984 Hunter 27

Make a list of everything that would put the boat in "like New" condition including all the extras you would like to have. Then list each one into one of three categories, "Want", "Need", "Must have". Plan on spending twice what you would expect on the Must Haves. After the must haves have been met start on the Needs as long as the money holds out.
finefurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 10:20   #8

Boat: 2009 Leopard 37 Powercat

Teknishn,

Your upcoming adventure sounds wonderful. Your list looks pretty doable and you will certainly spend more on some things and less on others.

Welcome home! We're still a pretty great country.

P.S. I don't think you need a radio operator license anywhere in the entire USA for your VHS.
David Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 11:02   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Teknishn,
P.S. I don't think you need a radio operator license anywhere in the entire USA for your VHS.
Yeah, still waiting for my license for Beta Tapes too! (Obviously the VHS thing was a typo...Duh!) Thanks for catching that.

@ finefurn....Good advice for everyone to think about.
Old 26-02-2017, 11:19   #10

Boat: 2009 Leopard 37 Powercat

Quote:
Yeah, still waiting for my license for Beta Tapes too! (Obviously the VHS thing was a typo...Duh!) Thanks for catching that.

@ finefurn....Good advice for everyone to think about.

No, that's my typo. I don't think you need a license for your "VHF" radio, is what I meant to write..
David Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 11:57   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
No, that's my typo. I don't think you need a license for your "VHF" radio, is what I meant to write..
Yeah, just looked at my file...what typo? In the State of Virginia a VHF Radio Operator License is required.
Old 26-02-2017, 13:49   #12

Quote:
LOL! It's US$ (6K Egyptian Pounds is only about $400 +/-)
Ha! I guess a quick look at the exchange rate might have clued me in.

Not sure what, but I'm sure I'm showing something by saying this. I'm surprised it's not more for all you've bought. Are you a frugal shopper or you just buy things as you need them? Is there a financial benefit for you buying in Egypt?
Crazy Talk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 17:44   #13

Boat: Hunter 27

Quote:
I'll be honest here....bought the boat off the internet, had it surveyed, and am damned scared of what it will be like to "come home" after all these years. This is gonna be one heck of an adventure and I'm looking forward to it!
I've purchased all kinds of stuff based on pictures and description only. Corvettes, Harleys, and now a boat. Hopefully the luck I've had will visit you as well.

If you find yourself near Myrtle Beach then let me know, we can swap online trade details over lunch ... my treat.
doc_cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 20:54   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Talk View Post
I'm surprised it's not more for all you've bought. Are you a frugal shopper or you just buy things as you need them? Is there a financial benefit for you buying in Egypt?
No, not particularly a frugal shopper here. Shopping online for the most part (Amazon dot com is my friend!) Purchased the boat in August of last year so have a few months to do a lot of thinking, dreaming, wishing, and online research for what I feel will best meet my, and the boat's needs for the next year. That, and staying away from the West Marine website.

Haven't purchased particularly high-end gear, and some items will undoubtedly not be of the perceived quality shown online (buyer reviews aside).

No advantage to being anything in Egypt as nearly everything here is made in China and is not of a good enough quality to be distributed in Europe or the States (read that to mean "Factory Rejects"). If no made in China, then the cost is more than you would find in the States due to importation duties and taxes.
Old 26-02-2017, 21:12   #15

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

If desiring any significant open-sea boating, I'd expect (in my circumstance) to spend several thousand dollars for epirb, life raft, and additional navigation devices and spare parts. I boat in inland waters, so am set OK in present circumstance.