Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2012, 20:51   #1

Newb in Need

Hi there to all of those living the dream! I am about to take that leap of faith and live-aboard in the caribbean for at least a few years. I need some good resource links to sailing from barbados to key west. I am a surfer and would love any advice in that area also. I am sailing a Cape Dory 30C with my dog and usually a friend or two aboard. I thank you in advance for your kindness to share your knowledge. I ask for links so you seasoned salts don't have to re type the same thing you have typed before. I respect your time.
CD30C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 02:14   #2
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Newb in Need

What sort of a dog? (sorry not to be much help, but I'm kind of obsessed with dogs onboard...)
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 03:04   #3

A Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. I attached a couple of pictures of Herbie.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	430.0 KB
ID:	43984   Click image for larger version

Name:	2007_0904507072350204.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	420.7 KB
ID:	43985  

Old 26-07-2012, 04:44   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Pretty broad question. What kind of info are you looking for: islands with good surfing, how to find Key West from Barbados, how to avoid pirates of the Caribbean, cheapest islands, or ???
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 05:03   #5

I am showing my Newb colors sorry. pirate info would be excellent to have. I was hoping there might be an organized database on the major points of living aboard in the caribbean, like. Are firearms OK? Customs info for the different islands would help. what ports welcome us without being wealthy?
Thank you for even reading this.
Old 26-07-2012, 05:30   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK, some specifics.

#1, don't bring up firearms unless you are wearing a flak jacket. To see why just use the CF search function to find the many, many, many previous discussions on that subject. My opinion, and I have cruised with and without guns on board, is most of the time it isn't worth the hassled. The majority of the countries in the world tend to freak over guns in possession of visitors and much of the time you end up surrendering the gun to the local authorities until you leave so you won't have it anyway. I will say no more in fear of starting another contentious gun thread. Just go read some of the previous.

Speaking of search, many of your questions have already been asked by two or three hundred other newbs so try searching the forum archives with keywords specific to some of your questions.

Customs information (both the official type and also referring to local culture and such), local safety and political stability, etc is covered quite well at Noonsite: The global site for cruising sailors. You can spend a few hours there reading up on every country in the world with a shoreline. Also a section with general news related to boating, latest pirate and crime reports, etc. Also good information about different ports in each country, places to anchor, marinas, etc.

This should keep you busy for a few weeks.
Old 26-07-2012, 05:36   #7

I didn't know how to get to those old threads. I am also new to forums. I know I suck. Thank you for your help it was exactly what i needed. I hope keeping my spear gun with mask and snorkel is ok. I was counting on that for some tasty treats. Seriously Thank you, Newb
Old 26-07-2012, 05:44   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

To find old threads go to the blue bar about 2" from the top of the screen (depending on the size of your screen of course) and third option from the right is "Search". Click on Search and you get a drop down menu with several different options. If you want to see every thread where the word gun was ever mentioned then type gun in the first box at the top and hit enter. You will get hundreds. If you want to narrow it down click on "advanced search". In the next screen towards the top left type guns or try firearms in the "keywords" box. To limit the hundreds of answers just under the keywords box select "search titles only".

Spear guns can go either way. Some countries see them (and/or flare guns) and a weapon, most don't. Some countries like the Bahamas do not allow spear guns but Hawaiian slings or pole spears only.
Old 26-07-2012, 05:45   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, CD30C.

See ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/....html#post8635

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 10:54   #10

Boat: Trintella 42
Send a message via Skype™ to AlaskaChowd

I'd be curious to find out more about islands with surf...and accessing that surf via sailboat or dinghy. It's always been my plan (and that plan is getting closer to actually happening) to load up my boards and go, but I'm curious about the reality. To wit:
* What islands have decent surf? I've surfed Barbados (via airliner) but that island is not too yacht-friendly, from what I've read. I'm all about keeping secret spots secret, so I know it's not cool to divulge locations, but a general outlook for the various areas of the Carib would be awesome.
* What's the best way to access the waves? Anchor on the lee side of islands/tie up in a marina and go by land? Anchor near the break but far enough away and paddle over? Some combo thereof and take the dinghy?
* Does ANYONE have a safe, successful way to secure a longboard or SUP to a boat?! Shortboards fit below but the big guns? Nope.

Just curious about the realities of using a sailboat to access waves, I guess. Thanks.
Luke
AlaskaChowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 10:59   #11

Boat: Heritage East 40

Hey CD30C Welcome. No such thing as a stupid question. Ask away. I recommend you get active captain downloaded. Google "Active Captain" it has great POC and reviews from cruisers and sailors.

Take each day as a surprise and you will be too!
Good luck.
The Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 14:25   #12

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Be aware that you'll often have to be sure the doggie stays on board. I met at least a couple of people in the marina in Antigua, who had to stay on board with the dog as they couldn't bring it off the boat.

Be sure and keep good shot records.

By observation only as I don't Surf, it appears that surfing is real good on the south shore of St Lucia near Vieaux Fort. I saw plenty of surfers there.

Good luck
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 23:17   #13

I have seen the big boards attached to the lifelines in a lot on videos of surf sailing I would put them tail to bow and firmly attach the leash loop to a stantion and then use the old style all rubber bungees I like these because they add friction so it doesn't just slip off when wet. I plan to replace the hooks with snap swivels to ensure that they stay where put.
Old 27-07-2012, 00:42   #14

tbodine88,

is St Lucia an easy going island. I am at the point of choosing a flagging. any advice here? The broker strenuously recommended St Maarten. He said $250.00 annually and a quick inspection by the volunteer fire dept. Also I can sail for 6 months on the letter of intention to register aboard. She lies in St Lucia so surfing your spot is a must. I am feeling a little overwhelmed with all the choices I have to make in a short time. Closing scheduled for 8/1. I have to learn so much...