Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2014, 10:41   #106

Boat: csy 37
Re: New sailor, trying to narrow down what to get for my next boat.

All boats in our club have outboards except a 30 footer. From our experience I would recommend the 9.9hp with a 25" shaft. Also agree with reinforcing the transom. Its cheap and easy to do and you will feel a whole lot better when that 100+ pound monster is running at full throttle pushing you in to adverse wind and current.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 10:56   #107

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Mounting in a cutout will work, if it is properly reinforced. Protect the fiberglass with some plywood, or old fiberglass hull scraps from a destroyed/dismantled boat. Don't clamp directly onto the hull. You might even want a sheet of inner tube rubber in there.

If you will leave the motor mounted, be sure to first of all always tilt the motor so that it is out of the water when not in use, and also padlock the clamp screws. And a bit of idiot proofing cause we all sometimes do silly things that cos us a lot of money... make a heavy cable tether to slip over a stern cleat. If the motor goes for a swim, at least you don't have to swim after it. This happens, believe it or not.

Leaky windows are pretty common. You can fix them today and next week you got leaks in other ones. Also the bolts that hold wood grab rails on top of the cabin can leak. You can have leaks at the mast, whether keel stepped or deck stepped. In fact, for every leak you get below the waterline, in an old boat you will probably see a dozen leaks above it. There are a lot of bolts through the deck on a typical sailboat, many under stress, such as around tracks, winches, etc. After 30 years or so, you can expect leaks, yeh.
Old 16-11-2014, 15:00   #108

Boat: Newport 28

VinnyVincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 15:02   #109

And no I won't be doing anything with the trolling motor. My new neighbor isn't taking no for an answer he's trying to sell it.
Old 17-11-2014, 05:38   #110

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Ahh marina del sol.......you're going to learn a lot about your new neighbors.......

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 06:26   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Ahh marina del sol.......you're going to learn a lot about your new neighbors.......

LOL I hope I don't offend anyone by saying that the place reminds me of a floating trailer park. It seems like all the boats there are just wasting away with no one actually taking them out, just taking advantage of the cheap living.
Leaving it there for a while may actually be worthwhile, because one of my neighbor's was helping the previous owner with work on fixing it up, so he is familiar with what all has been done with it.
Apparently it has been set up for outboard use. They removed the shaft/prop and cut out the transom.

My main issue with the place is the fact that numerous people have told me it is just about impossible to get out unless the water is at max height.
The minute I get the motor on, I plan on breaking my lease and relocating.

At 243 a month I am confident I can either find somewhere that I will not have to worry about running aground, or is about half the price monthly.

I would prefer a place where I can leave anytime I want with no worries of getting stuck. Any suggestions?(aside from the boardwalk)...I have a 4.5ft draft.
Not really worried about showers or any of that. Just want a place that is convenient and deep.
Old 17-11-2014, 06:33   #112

We just moved out of there. With a 4'6" draft we only were unable to leave a handful of times. Stay east of marker 6 in the channel (there is a tongue of mud here). The maintenance program on the docks was really a problem, along with some of what management was allowing to happen.

Where your boat sits there is a hump under the dock that is shallower than the edges.....I don't think you'll get stuck there though.

Old 17-11-2014, 06:48   #113

Where did you move to?

I may hold out and see how it goes for a while, but the place seems a little pricey for what it is.
Old 17-11-2014, 06:50   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyVincent View Post
Kind of defeats the purpose of leaving it in a slip if you can't take it out when you want...

Where did you move to?

The only times we were unable to leave were in huge north winds.

We did move to watergate, the inner harbor.

Old 17-11-2014, 07:05   #115

Quote:
The only times we were unable to leave were in huge north winds.

We did move to watergate, the inner harbor.

Oh, sorry I'm multitasking, so I misread your original post as "we were only able to leave a few times". I modified my response to reflect that
Old 17-11-2014, 11:54   #116

Quote:
Quote:
The maintenance program on the docks was really a problem, along with some of what management was allowing to happen

Makes me wonder if I should be taking extra special precautions to secure this new outboard once I get it...
Old 17-11-2014, 19:27   #117

Boat: csy 37

Yes...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 08:11   #118

So I am trying to get a pricing on getting a new nissan 9.9 from a local dealer with no luck.

I did call one guy who has a great reputation in the area and he want's to sell me a 9.9 yamaha that is 4 years old for 1300 + tax...but I dunno for 2100 I can get a new nissan 9.9 shipped to me, no tax.
I'm just worried that if there are in issues, I may end up having to deal with cabela's and the closest store is over 2 hours away...

I heard yamaha is a really good brand...but you hear that about nissan too, so it's kind of a toss up.
I'm kind of leaning toward the yamaha. How long do these motors generally last?
If it were you, what would you get? 4 year old low hour yamaha for bout 1400, or new nissan for 2100.
Oh and the yamaha has a 20" shaft, where the nissan has a 25"...I think either would work since the transom has been cut out.
Old 18-11-2014, 09:24   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyVincent View Post

Makes me wonder if I should be taking extra special precautions to secure this new outboard once I get it...

Fwiw we never had anything disappear while we were there, 4 years in total. Once the locals adopt you as one of their own they do a really good job of keeping an eye on your stuff.

Old 18-11-2014, 09:35   #120

Quote:
Fwiw we never had anything disappear while we were there, 4 years in total. Once the locals adopt you as one of their own they do a really good job of keeping an eye on your stuff.
Ah okay, looks like I misinterpreted your posts.

My neighbor actually seems like a really good guy, although conversations have been limited. I may ask him if he want's to go out with me the first time, once I get this motor thing figured out.

With that in mind I think I will still do the cable idea that growley mentioned to keep the motor from falling to the bottom in the event that it falls off. It can double up as a security device.

Tags
sail