Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 15:53   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473
Need Advice on Pulling Trigger

Is it just me or is this listing just a great deal.

1986 Brewer Center Cockpit Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

It is missing a few things I am looking for like a Gen set, radar ect. I dont want to get into the sloop/ketch debate but can anyone tell me what difference in cruising speed, on average, I lose (if any) between this ketch design and a sloop? Assume 15kt winds.

Also, can someone comment on speed difference, on average, between full keel and this one assuming same wind speed.

I am looking at mainly coastal cruising California and south but would like the abilility to cruise offshore, panama and over to the Carrib. Hawaii maybe one day. Two to four people on average.

When we talk about Ted Brewer on here as one of the better boat builders, does this one rank well? I checked saildata and couldnt find anything as well as his web site. Is this one of those, someone else built it and Ted looked at it, so we will say Teds the designer?

Any help appreciated.
Sailing Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 16:03   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Need advice on pulling trigger

If there isn't anything serious wrong with it that is a low price for one of those. You should contact the broker and get the story.

Far as a sloop/ketch there isn't ready a performance hit, just a trade off. The plus on the ketch is the flexibility for when wind is higher.
Old 04-03-2013, 16:08   #3

Boat: Morgan 416
If it looks too good to be true....!? A great looking vessel for a great price. What about propulsion systems, sails, electronics, dodger/bimini, etc.
PapaBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 16:16   #4

Broker is calling in 10 minutes with the scoop. I cant beleive I may do this.
Old 04-03-2013, 16:50   #5

Boat: Chesapeake Light Craft Passagemaker, Tyler Craft T42, and 9' RIB.

Eye Candy!!!

That boat looks great, I wonder what they did when they "refastened the teak decks?" Tighten the screws and new bungs?
Ramblingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 17:03   #6

Yes thats what they did according to sellers agent. Boat has zero electronics and was used as a day sailer if you can beleive it. No dodger or bimini. Was told rudder stuffing needs packing or adjustment, which means leak now I suppose and has some minor wiring issues. A more complete descrition is coming tomorrow. Bascially a bare boat. Would need all electronics, water maker, aux power, auto helm on and on and on. That will add up plenty i'm sure. Doesnt have to be all added at once I suppose. Look like a good solid clean boat. Looking into survey tomorrow. Apparently 435 hours on engine.
Old 04-03-2013, 17:04   #7

Boat: Endeavour 42

This is not the conventional layout for a Brewer 44. What that means about the boat's history I don't know. I believe they had cored decks.Was this teak deck an overlay? I know of at least one 44 that had significant water damage to the foredeck. Like a lot of women she looks great but she may be a heartbreaker. A thorough survey by a first class surveyor is highly recommended.
Old 20-03-2013, 10:21   #8

Hi, I check on the boat and it still for sale, so I assume you didn't buy it. Was there something wrong with it after the survey? I really like it, specially the interior, it looks very clean.

Can someone recommend me a good sailboat? A blue water sailboat? Something that will keep the value, a center cockpit, between 40-45', ketch. I am new to this! But the most I learn the most, I like the idea of switching from a fishing boat to a sail boat.

My only concern is that I don't know too much, and sailboat are expensive and hard to sell, so I don't want to invest on something that is not what I really wanted.

I really like the Brewer 44 or something like that, what can you tell me about it. Since they are out-of-business since 1989, is it a really good option to consider?
Pirata22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 11:33   #9

Have not moved ahead with the deal. Did not do the survey. It was just lacking in everything. I think the compass may be the only equipment included and I am not sure about that. Nice boat but after bimini, depth, gen set, autohelm on and on and on we are well over the total budget. Makes more sense to find an outfitted boat for 100K already done.
Old 16-04-2013, 12:41   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Cowboy View Post
Makes more sense to find an outfitted boat for 100K already done.
Almost always does!
Old 16-04-2013, 14:58   #11

Boat: Watkins 29'
Looks like someone liked it, says sale pending. The stuff she needs to go cruising could be worked out, I'm sure the owners realize that.
Old 16-04-2013, 16:56   #12

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Re: Need Advice on Pulling Trigger

For what it is worth, the lack of electonics / instruments on an older boat is not necessarily a bad thing. It generally seems to be the case that old boats come with old instruments and even if they still work (and often they don't) you end up having to replace them all in the first couple of years of ownership. When I bought Insatiable it had a full set of electronic instuments. Except for the VHF, all have now been replaced.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote