Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2015, 03:20   #1

My First Boat Question Ever

So I'm looking at building my first boat, but don't have any experience. I would like something smaller for transportation and something not overly complicated. I will be sailing this in either the Indian Ocean or a bay/river area because I live in ZA. I have been drawn to the Atkin&Co designs and they have quite a few little skiffs. So my Question is does anyone have any experience with small Atkin designs? Also does anyone have suggestions on a small boat design for the ocean or a bay area?

Thank you for your time, Cooper
Cooper H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 03:31   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: My First Boat Question Ever

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Cooper.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 03:37   #3

Thank you GordMay, glad to be aboard haha
Cooper H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 04:24   #4

I don't have any advice- but it sounds like a fun project!

Good luck.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 08:35   #5

Goeie dag :-)

How big is "something smaller"? Where do you intend to keep her. Surely not moored in the surf off the Dolphin Coast. What does "transportation" mean? Just your own self running from Bollito to Durban? Are you gonna carry passengers? Are you gonna carry cargo?

One designer is about as good as another in terms of seaworthiness. However ease of construction is a whole different trip. The "old-timers" (much as I love 'em) just can't hold a candle to the modern designers for ease of construction and maintenance. Nor would you be able to obtain easily the stuff the "old-timers" specify in the construction plans.

Given where you are, given the few things you have said about your purposes and your skill level, you should prolly consider something like Sam Devlin's "Surf Scooter":

Devlin Designing Boat Builders - Surf Scoter 22 Pilot

Veel geluk!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 09:11   #6

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Check out Sam Devlin's stitch and glue designs.
Old 30-06-2015, 09:26   #7

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

If this is the first boat you'll own, then I suggest don't do it. Go buy a suitable boat to get your feet wet, so to speak. Once you've learned what you do and don't like in a boat; and learned the joys of boat maintenance, then you'll be in a much better position to appreciate if boat-building is for you. If you then go ahead, you'll know what you want (and what you don't) in a boat. IMO
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 09:40   #8

Another option is to build a very small boat to get your feet wet (pun intended). The 6 hour canoe is a good simple design and my first project. Couple years ago I built the D4 dinghy (I have some pics of the construction process on my blog).
Old 30-06-2015, 10:17   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
If this is the first boat you'll own, then I suggest don't do it. Go buy a suitable boat to get your feet wet, so to speak. Once you've learned what you do and don't like in a boat; and learned the joys of boat maintenance, then you'll be in a much better position to appreciate if boat-building is for you. If you then go ahead, you'll know what you want (and what you don't) in a boat. IMO
yep.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 10:20   #10

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

I have worked with this gentleman who also lives in South Africa. Winfried has designed several small sailing skiffs that are quite lovely and stout. He sells the plans for the dinghies and the sailing rigs. I purchased a nesting dinghy from him. I haven't received it yet but it is getting nearer.

Wave Dancer Yacht Design - wholesale plan sales

He has entered into a contract with CLC, a company in the US to make kits of his some of his designs. Chesapeake Light Craft | Boat Plans, Boat Kits, Boatbuilding Supplies, Boat Kit, Kayak Kit, Canoe Kit, Sailboat Kit

Best winds and welcome!
Old 30-06-2015, 10:28   #11

Boat: Westsail 28

https://www.boatdesigns.com/Sailboats/departments/12/
Glen L Marine is a great company , most of there designs can be purchased as a kit .
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 10:38   #12

Boat: CORESOUND 17

I am building a 17 CORE SOUND foot sail boat from B&B Yatch in North Carolina. I bought a kit from Graham and it goes together faily easy. several have built frpm plans. He now has Aa 17 foot and 20 foot with a cabin. I wish I had a cabin version . The reason I picked that boat their is a enduace race ea year from Tampa Fl to some where I the keys. Ths design has set record and won he race several times It is a plywood stich and glue. Yo canlook them up on the web there is a forum B&B Messing about. here are several eople building and post pic. BUT YLOU CAN FIND S ALREADY BUILT BOAT CHEAPER THAN YOU CAN BUILD ONE IT IS JUST THE FUN OF BUILDING
mcdermitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 12:20   #13

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

Yes, I do. Iv'e owned a 1934 Matthews Sailer, designed by Bill Atkins and built by Matthews in Port Clinton, Ohio, who built heavy displacement cruisers starting around the 1920's or so,thru the 1970's. Famous collectable powerboats. The only sailboat they ever built was in 1934..25' 7"on deck, 8'6" beam 3'2" draft.Her keel was oak,22'longx20".

I've also been aboard the original ERIC and sailed on my friends ferro cement ERIC, Mystery. Atkins was like Colen Archer, only instead of strength with The huge scantlins, he got strength with light scant linz that curved like a musical instrement. His designs are fast on and off the wind, seakindly and strong. From dinghy to schooner they are beautiful to the eye and fun to sail. I sailed Skyliner in over 60 miles an hour winds with a22'waterline and covered the distance from Boot Key, in Marathon to five miles from the northwest tip of Andros in 19 hours in an Atkin design.I trust my life to anything William Atkins designed
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 12:26   #14

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

Just saying; I didn't misspell Atkin with an S, my stupid helpful phone did.It's cursed and feels it can change the spelling. Just saying.
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 12:31   #15

... Phil Bolger was another designer of easily built seaworthy boats.