Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2017, 11:57   #1

Boat: Montgomery 17
Monohull with room to store 2 full sized bicycles?

There is an old thread on this about how to store a bike, that is not quite what I am asking. I am specifically looking for advice on considering a monohull ideal for storing 2 bikes. Are there any out there who think their boat, or one they have seen, has room for this? One obvious choice is a quarter-berth, but have you seen any better choices? Thinking 40-50 LOA range.
Thanks,
Old 15-05-2017, 12:11   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Monohull with room to store 2 full sized bicycles?

Depends. Folding bikes or full sized, regular bikes? Stored assembled or wheels off?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 12:11   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theerwagen View Post
There is an old thread on this about how to store a bike, that is not quite what I am asking. I am specifically looking for advice on considering a monohull ideal for storing 2 bikes. Are there any out there who think their boat, or one they have seen, has room for this? One obvious choice is a quarter-berth, but have you seen any better choices? Thinking 40-50 LOA range.
Thanks,
Howdy!

I think it would help others help you, if you posted some photos and dimensions of the bikes in the form you MUST or WANT TO stow them.

My Suggestion: Break down the bike into the smallest possible size, strap them together, then measure it and photograph it and post the measurements and photos here.

I have a friend who bikes. He can break his bike down to a pretty small size for fitting in the boot/trunk of his car when necessary. But, he also has some bikes that are very light weight and easy to take apart.

Bikes come in different sizes and shapes and weights. So, being more specific will help you.

Also, are they cheap bikes or expensive bikes? Robust mountain bikes? Delicate Road Bikes?

IF I were on a boat 40 feet long, I would consider changing the Vberth to storage (and using one side of it to stow the bikes in a partially disassembled form). I would also make a canvas type "cover" that can be easily handled (with webbing handles) so I could put the bikes into it, for carrying on the dinghy (to keep salt water off) and when carrying or stowing the wheels and such in the boat). Two large zippered or tied "envelope" carry cases is what I would make, with some elastic straps inside or some cloth partition if you want more surface protection). But that is because I think everything on a boat should be neatly stowed away (as much as possible) and I would rather pass that filled (with one bike) case up the companionway.

Hope that helps.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 12:30   #4

You might consider a Benetaeu 473. 2 cabin version. where one of the quarter birth normally would be there is a huge storage area. We call it our garage. You can access it either from the cockpit or from the interior
SWFLman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 12:33   #5

Boat: Colegate 26

My wife and I have had discussions on this very topic. There have been a few boats we've looked at that have HUGE aft lazarettes. Island Packet 485 in particular, maybe a few others. They could likely hold a pair of bicycles assembled along with other boat related stuff.

Island Packet 485

http://images.boats.com/resize/1/38/...00&w=900&h=900

http://newimages.yachtworld.com/resi...5_1_XLARGE.jpg

http://newimages.yachtworld.com/resi...5_1_XLARGE.jpg
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 12:43   #6

Boat: Bristol 27

Maybe this will help.

My bike a large 59cm Litespeed Vortex 10 speed was delivered in a narrow shipping box.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lite...JS3Y4BSp0jN7M:

Wheels off, pedals off, handle bar off, seat off, etc and the shipping box wasn't that large

Bicycle Shipping Boxes

43 x 11 x 32 inches

Another example. Bike case.

Folks that cycle a lot buy bike cases for the bikes for when they fly etc. You may have to remove the front forks on these....

https://www.performancebike.com/weba...268&cadevice=c

Dimensions:Internal Case Dimensions: 44.5 x 28.3 x 11"; External Case Dimensions: 45 x 34 x 11.5"
Weight: 26lbs
Rating: 3
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 12:50   #7

Boat: Montgomery 17

In reply, I am thinking full size mountain bikes, or possibly gravel bike style as shown in the picture. I could go with bikes with the couplers such as Co-Motion and others offer. I like Steady Hand's idea of converting a V-Berth to storage and using canvas, or pre-made soft side bike type cases. When not underway the bikes would stay assembled, ready to go, so maybe some kind of plastic cover (huge zip lock bag?) could be used for moving ashore and back, then soft-sided case (tied down well) when cast off. Again, just looking to source some good ideas for boats that may lend themselves well to this application Thanks!
Old 15-05-2017, 13:16   #8

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I lived with road bikes onboard for many years, without issue. Some of the key things are;
- QR Hubs, so that you can pull off the wheels, both for dinghy transport, & stowage onboard.
- Boseshield T-9 is your friend (vs. corrosion), it's like immortal!!!!!
- Make the bikes ugly, to the point of buying a few cans of Krylon, & giving them a "makeover". Pretty bikes attract sticky fingers.
- SERIOUS locks are a good thing. Pretty much anything on par with a U-type, or about as robust, but low profile (Rules). Keeping in mind that Felco's (wire cutters) & "Universal Keys" (AKA Bolt Cutters) are common, & very, very effective. Felco's snip wire like pricey shears go thru yarn... under a second, no joke.
NOTE: There are a few varieties of chain, & locks which are virtually un-cuttable, barring power tools or torches. Look for types which don't draw visual attention.
- If the locals are all hoofing it, then so are you. No need to stand out, or advertise wealth.
- Make canvas or Sunbrella covers for each bike, & each set of wheels. They help with keeping grease from the bike out of/off of the boat & dink, plus aide with corrosion protection.
- Know how to maintain all of the various parts on most bikes, & carry spares (on the boat, & with you on land).
- Inexpensive rides get the job done, don't draw attention, & wont cause you too much grief if they "grow legs".

Guess that's a lot of stuff, but hopefully it'll help. And if it matters, I've owned both steel framed, & aluminum bikes. Both types faired well, although I really love(d) my Cannondale(s). And none of them were babied, nor lived indoors half the time. Although sans wheels, they made for pretty svelte packages, especially if you turn the handlebars 90 degrees from the riding position.

Oh, & welcome to CF!

PS: Here's a 3 page thread, complete with videos & links about bikes on boats.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-140033.html

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 13:34   #9
cruiser

We own over 20 full size bikes, I was an avid cycling fanatic racer, roadie for over fifteen years. Several bikes costing much more than cars, as in $20k.

We gave up on keeping them onboard, It just doesn't work on several levels, space, rust, dinghy rides etc. In Cali, I did keep two Cervelo track bikes and four sets of wheels onboard our Hunter 450 broken down in bike bags and fiberglass wheel cases for use at the LA Velodrome. The road bikes will rust.

Just buy a Brompton for the boat and keep it inside coated with WD40 when you're away.

Now it's fun to come up behind a group of roadies in a paceline and join in on the Brompton whilst wearing street clothes. Gets a lot of WTF looks from the home boys.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 13:37   #10

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

Outbound or the new hunter 47 or jennaeu 54 (or anything with a dinghy garage-less the dinghy)
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 15:01   #11

Boat: Sabre 402

These guys carry their bikes with them on a 50' sloop: https://toptotop.org/ They sail between continents and then pedal to the tallest mountain on it, then climb it. Family keeps growing, but the last continent on their list is Antarctica, and they head there next. Full-sized bikes go under the port quarterberth.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 15:55   #12

Boat: Bristol 27

I have a Bristol 27 and could easily carry my 59 cm Litespeed Road Bike.....but I am a single hand sailor
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 16:05   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have an old Lightspeed Ultimate myself, and while too old for it to be much use, I'd never abuse it by putting it on a boat. Maybe if you will always be at a Marina.
For what you want look at a Bike Friday or just buy bikes at each place you stay for awhile, cheaper than buying a boat large enough to dedicate a cabin to a bike
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 20:17   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

bikefriday.com

Ride like a full sized bike and fold into a suitcase for travel or storage. Two fit in a quarter with plenty of room to spare on my 28' boat.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 20:51   #15

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Another avid cyclist I knew, built a shelf offset over his v-berth, & it was big enough for 2 bikes when they had their wheels pulled off. This was on a Rawson 30', & the shelf didn't compromise the usefullness of the berth in any way. It was a great setup.

Heck, with quick release hubs, there's no reason not to be able to stow a bike just about anywhere.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull, size