Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2017, 13:41   #1

Boat: Albin Vega
Merino wool clothing for tall sailors?

Hola!

I'm 6'8" (2.03m) tall and am looking to buy some merino wool clothing for sailing and other outdoorsy pursuits; anyone know a place that sells stuff like that for tall slim folks?

I have a 39" inseam and something like an 84" wingspan haha. I don't mind if the long johns are a bit short because I always have long socks on in the cold but the pants and shirts need to be fitting.
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 13:54   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: merino wool clothing for tall sailors?

Only merino wool undergarmets I am familiar with are sold by Pinnacle for their line of Black Ice dry suits, but sit down when you price them.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 14:24   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Only merino wool undergarmets I am familiar with are sold by Pinnacle for their line of Black Ice dry suits, but sit down when you price them.
Oh geez, okay, lol.
Old 06-03-2017, 15:21   #4

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Sierra Trading Post Sierra Trading Post - We Are All Explorers.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 17:22   #5

Boat: 42' Westsail, 32' Bayfield, 36' Pearson
Send a message via Skype™ to artisthos

I buy heavy wool dress pants and sweaters from the thrift store. My wool shirts I get off E-Bay for $20-30.
Old 06-03-2017, 17:31   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

There are good solid reasons the world has migrated to fleece and microfibers, and it isn't about the money. I still have merino wool stuff that I put away for good 25-30 years ago. It just is not as comfortable or versatile.

Time to move on.
Old 06-03-2017, 19:28   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
There are good solid reasons the world has migrated to fleece and microfibers, and it isn't about the money. I still have merino wool stuff that I put away for good 25-30 years ago. It just is not as comfortable or versatile.

Time to move on.
Why did you go from wool to fleece? I'd been a fleece guy since I was a kid after a few itchy experiences with wool but after hearing about its tendency to fill the ocean with non or slow biodegrading plastics I think I'm going to stop buying it. Synthetics stink bad when you sweat into them and melt when sparks or heat get too close. I started buying these great merino wool "Walkin Socks" from Tilley several years ago and they're the most comfortable clothing I've worn so I'm looking to give some warmer layers a try. It's also hard for me to find anyone that can make me Polartec layers as IIRC they need to be licensed to do so. Wool is made all over the place
Old 06-03-2017, 19:36   #8

Boat: J/42

Halfway through this loooong winter, I finally broke down and bought a set of merino wool long johns, since I had basically been living in my polypro ones for weeks on end and needed a change. The smartwool socks had been working pretty well for me...

Out of the bag, they seemed softer and maybe a little warmer than the synthetic. But after one wash, as directed (cold wash, dried flat) they shrank and changed shape. OK, they do stretch when you pull them on. And maybe I have wider shoulders than most people, but now the neck hole stretches so wide that it leaves a lot of skin exposed on my chest and back.

Not worth $100 more than the synthetic ones that hold their shape.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 21:39   #9
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
Why did you go from wool to fleece? I'd been a fleece guy since I was a kid after a few itchy experiences with wool but after hearing about its tendency to fill the ocean with non or slow biodegrading plastics I think I'm going to stop buying it. Synthetics stink bad when you sweat into them and melt when sparks or heat get too close. I started buying these great merino wool "Walkin Socks" from Tilley several years ago and they're the most comfortable clothing I've worn so I'm looking to give some warmer layers a try. It's also hard for me to find anyone that can make me Polartec layers as IIRC they need to be licensed to do so. Wool is made all over the place
The pollution argument is a straw man.There is no reason to believe the garment would not be recycled. I don't eat fast foods, I don't buy sodas in bottles, and I separate my recyclables. Livestock, AKA sheep, are also perhaps the largest source of pollution, second leading source of methane emissions, leading and desertification on the planet. I think there is no measurable difference. Finally, polyester fleece will sink, just like a polyester rope.

New synthetics stink much less due to special surface treatments. I will offer as a counter that wool is nearly impossible to dry in winter field conditions, impractical to launder on a boat, and that in general, synthetics are much easier to launder.

Licensed to fabricate with fleece? Obviously not true. There are many good brands I would also be surprised, even at these dimensions, if off-the-shelf goods cannot be found.
Old 06-03-2017, 21:40   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
Halfway through this loooong winter, I finally broke down and bought a set of merino wool long johns, since I had basically been living in my polypro ones for weeks on end and needed a change. The smartwool socks had been working pretty well for me...

Out of the bag, they seemed softer and maybe a little warmer than the synthetic. But after one wash, as directed (cold wash, dried flat) they shrank and changed shape. OK, they do stretch when you pull them on. And maybe I have wider shoulders than most people, but now the neck hole stretches so wide that it leaves a lot of skin exposed on my chest and back.

Not worth $100 more than the synthetic ones that hold their shape.
Geez, what brand did you get? I will avoid it. maybe a sweater would work better, fitted instead of tight fit.

I just got back from a 5 day cruise and learn course and even though there were showers available I didn't have 5 days of polypro base layers to wear so my poor boatmates' noses suffered :S Poor bastards.
Old 06-03-2017, 21:45   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
The pollution argument is a straw man.There is no reason to believe the garment would not be recycled. I don't eat fast foods, I don't buy sodas in bottles, and I separate my recyclables. Livestock, AKA sheep, are also perhaps the largest source of pollution, second leading source of methane emissions, leading and desertification on the planet. I think there is no measurable difference. Finally, polyester fleece will sink, just like a polyester rope.

New synthetics stink much less due to special surface treatments. I will offer as a counter that wool is nearly impossible to dry in winter field conditions, impractical to launder on a boat, and that in general, synthetics are much easier to launder.

Licensed to fabricate with fleece? Obviously not true. There are many good brands I would also be surprised, even at these dimensions, if off-the-shelf goods cannot be found.
Hmm yes, good points. I have some excellent polypro long johns i use for hunting with scent control so I can sneak up on Bambi's Dad. Maybe next time time I should break that stuff out. I just don't like to wear it cause it's camouflaged, lol. What do you use of base layers that has scent control? IIRC the hunting stuff I bought has silver filament in it and that somehow controls odour amazingly well.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:57   #12

Boat: Catalina 22 - My first boat!!

Quote:
Hola!

I'm 6'8" (2.03m) tall and am looking to buy some merino wool clothing for sailing and other outdoorsy pursuits; anyone know a place that sells stuff like that for tall slim folks?

I have a 39" inseam and something like an 84" wingspan haha. I don't mind if the long johns are a bit short because I always have long socks on in the cold but the pants and shirts need to be fitting.

Check out IceBreaker. They sell lots of merino blended garments. Not cheap, but they last.

https://www.icebreaker.com/en/our-story/stores.html
kclancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:12   #13

Boat: Island Packet 32

I just live in Florida. :-)
jep17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:30   #14
rbk

Boat: T37

MEC, REI or any outdoors store will have them, Icebreakers as good as mentioned above as are most others. All my base layers for just about any activity are wool, and the two more over that as well (ski Instructor, whitewater kayak/Canoe, hunter, fisher all north of 60). Usually a mid weight sweater and Stanfields to finish it off before a breathable waterproof outer layer. Besides being a natural fibre, that doesn't hold odours, wicks moisture, fire and spark resistant and thermally regulates itself (warm when cold and cool when warm) the single biggest advantage that wool has over all other materials is it retains its R value when wet and immersed where flushing is prevented. Poly pro is ok but as it holds next to no water and dries fast but also does not hold heat when wet. If you want a great mid to heavy weight sweater that are guaranteed for life (defects) check out Pollen Sweaters in BC Canada (no affiliation), not cheap but great product and you can go from the fishing boat to a formal dinner and not change.
https://pollensweaters.com/
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:32   #15

Boat: J/42

Quote:
Geez, what brand did you get? I will avoid it. maybe a sweater would work better, fitted instead of tight fit.

I just got back from a 5 day cruise and learn course and even though there were showers available I didn't have 5 days of polypro base layers to wear so my poor boatmates' noses suffered :S Poor bastards.
These are from "Wilderness Technology." I suppose the next move would have been to buy two sizes too large and live with the extra material hanging loose around the middle.

Of course, part of my problem is that all clothes available locally in Small-Town America are made for A-shaped people. Expensive "athletic-fit" stuff that you can send away for is usually made for I-shaped people. Nothing really out there for V-shaped people.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clothing, sail