Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2018, 23:07   #16

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Low windage mounting alternatives for solar

The boat I now have came with about 400 watts of panels mounted on the bimini and another mounted on an ugly frame mounted on the transom. I needed to get rid of the transom mounting to enable access to the new dingy davit and increase the wattage available.

I built a new frame to mount all the panels from 40 X 20 X 3 mm alloy angle which I stiffened by splitting a 40 X 3 mm round tube and stitch welding it onto the vertical 40 mm leg of the alloy angle. I think it will clean up quiet well and the curved edge looks less industrial and should be a bit more aerodynamic than just a flat surface.

The next part of the project is to get rid of the SS bimini frame and canvas, waterproof the panels and add spats to the sides of the panel frame. Tubular alloy mountings "hoops" out to the sheer will support the panel frame and clear out the clutter on the cockpit coaming caused by the existing bimini frames.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20180401095423.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	403.6 KB
ID:	176000  
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 00:46   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Before we mounted the 150w panel on a stern A frame we had a 80w panel mounted on the pushpit which could be adjusted up or down to point towards the sun. This was supplemented with a 60w suitcase panel which only came out at anchor or in harbour but was moved around the deck to catch the sun.

I sold the 80w but regret this now as it could have gone in front of the sprayhood. Although it would have been shaded by the boom some times the extra output would have been nice instead of the 30w flexible panel we have there. The flexible panel is an expensive EFTE GRP back type but it isn't lasting well, now 18 months old the damp is working its way in from the edges and will meet the cells shortly.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	033.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	176001  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 03:31   #18

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Sean? I have great respect for what he's doing, and we agree on many things, and share some goals. But I do not share his approach to the cruising lifestyle.
Like everyone else, he's doing it his way I guess. One thing for sure, those Bristol 27's seem to stand up well regardless of how they look.

I do like his rain catchment system idea though of using his panels
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	raincollector1.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	176005   Click image for larger version

Name:	raincollector2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	176006  

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 06:19   #19

Boat: Yankee 30'

Hi. I installed two 140W Kyocera as a part of "bimini" before I left Florida for two seasons in the Med few years back. See photos. I was not thrilled with the esthetics of the results, got sort of used to it since. The panels met all my electrical needs and kept my bald head from getting sunburn, too.
As to the windage and strength: I got into very few "weather" situations, saw few 50-60 kt gusts, but on my way from Gibraltar to Canaries, one small rogue wave in fairly benign 35kts astern, broke over the cockpit and the panels and somehow completely turned my boat into the opposite direction. No damage.
The windage? I race my boat on Tampa bay, did couple of the Isla Mujeres races (St' Pete to Mexico, cruising class), winning or placing well often.
The panels are of the sturdier, wider frame kind, and they stand up to wind better than similar size Sunbrella bimini would.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0297 ss-X2.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	176011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fanari 1108141000.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	283.2 KB
ID:	176012  

sv.antea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 09:36   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
My next boat will be a ~37' mono. I would like to have some solar panels but do not want the windage and other compromises that come with either a "solar bimini" or panels mounted over the stern (on davitts, etc).

This leaves removable panels, the foredeck, and the coachroof. How do these locations work out in practice? Are the flexible walk-on panels worth having -- are they durable and do they produce enough output? Are there parts of the coach roof where solid panels don't get in the way?
My boat is 7" shorter than your prospect. Theres not as much room on the cabin top as all that. That and I dont fancy walking on the things, I dont doubt their durability but think they are perma-skid surfaces. Maybe on the turtle deck would be ok but thats not a lot of area, 7-9 sq ft.

Its probably the solar bimini (great name) for me, and that saves the price of the canvas
Old 24-08-2018, 13:11   #21

I mounted two, 270 watt panels mounted on the stern rail, one on either side. When installing, we fashioned a new rail extending from the pushpit to the first stancion forward, prplacing that section of the lifeline. There are two struts coming out of the bottom that attach to a removable connection at the bottom.

With this design, they are high enough to stay out of the water, even under extreme heel. The drop down in two seconds for docking approaches, and are almost always in the sun. Best of all, when deployed, they don't disturb the visual lines of the boat, as they blend in with the existing lifelines and rails.

Let me know if you would like pictures
SailSonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 15:29   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

ihave a large boat so you would have to pare down my setup but - i have 2 x 140 watt plus 2x 60 watt on top of my hard bimini (boom stays centered between the two sets at anchor, then 2 X 140 on top of an arch. Lastly i too converted my top lifeline to a solid rail i have two 75 watt panels on each side on these top rails- the panels are connected with quick connect/disconnect wiring and the mounts i made are originally used for stage lighting- they can be quickly disconnected and the panels stowed. They are held out from the boat with easily removeable poles that lock into place with stainless pins. For docking they do not need to be removed just dropped so that they hang vertically. With 980 watts of solar, i know that there will always be some shading etc but i still get a decent return without having to mess with it-- The arch also holds a wind generator- if i had to do it again i would probably not do the wind generator and add one more panel-- i like the 75 watt panels on the rails becasue i can handle them easily to demount or to swing out-- if i could only have two panels then i would make them bigger but they get heavy and bulky for one guy to handle then.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 20:42   #23

Boat: Nicholson 38

We use an 85W panel (so it is not too big) on both port/stbd on the pushpit, with horizontal hinges on the frames to allow us to angle them to max the sun exposure. I believe this is a good solution for 99.5% of the time - until that is, the 0.5% of the time when you are in heavy weather and smashing waves hit you on the quarter.

In protected seas, like British Columbia, where we have done most of our sailing, this was perfect. We never had an issue during 5 years and 13,000 nm of travel. But, in our crossing to Hawaii, there were times when I worried. We usually kept both panels extended out horizontally, even in >20 foot seas and >30 knot winds, and it was fine. If it got really scary, we'd lower them and lock them in place.

In BC, 170W satisfied almost all our electrical needs, because every day, we'd run the motor for setting and retrieving the anchor and leaving the anchorage, and get the bulk charging over. Solar was for maintenance and topping up. We are 100% LED, and have a well insulated refer.

Now that we are ocean sailing, we run the motor every other day to run the watermaker. It would be a dream to run that off solar. For that, I need another 100W or so.

I would love to find a low windage mounting option! We have a ketch, with a center cockpit with a hard top. Scary to put panels on that since the boom is right there.

Our experience with flexible panels was not good. The first one failed after 360 days of a 1 year warranty (the vendor replaced it!!!) and we had treated it with kid gloves. So we are not counting on that in future.
Old 25-08-2018, 23:56   #24

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Sunbeam makes high quality semi-flexible panels with an anti-skid surface. As these are Swedish made panels with American cells, they come at a price, though. But not excessively so, as these will last many years.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, wind