Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2018, 06:09   #1

Boat: Tartan 3800
Low windage mounting alternatives for solar

My next boat will be a ~37' mono. I would like to have some solar panels but do not want the windage and other compromises that come with either a "solar bimini" or panels mounted over the stern (on davitts, etc).

This leaves removable panels, the foredeck, and the coachroof. How do these locations work out in practice? Are the flexible walk-on panels worth having -- are they durable and do they produce enough output? Are there parts of the coach roof where solid panels don't get in the way?

Are deployable/removable panels on e.g. the rails or lifelines worth having?
Jammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 07:00   #2

Boat: Beneteau first 26
Re: Low windage mounting alternatives for solar

i have been thinking a lot about it on my boat...

Bimini panels are really the worst option , over 30 knots of wind i always keep the bimini closed....
Panels on davits behind seems like the best option for me now , it adds windvane but the panels are not shadowed(try to fix something from aluminum to avoid the extra weight)
Panels on the sides of the boat (on the life lines ) they look nice and work but i lost one panel from the waves during a 40 knots storm , make sure to make them at least 20 cm higher than the toe rail.
fleximble panels not worth the money .
and panels on deck get shadowed.
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 07:14   #3

Boat: Bristol 27

On my 27 foot boat, I have one 65 Watt Panel "deployed" pretty much permanently on the aft lazarette and a small 20 Watt Panel that I move around as needed.

I have another 20 Watt Panel that I have yet to hook up.

I think sometime in the future I'll get a couple 50 Watt panels also

These are connected to a 75/15 Victron MPPT Controller then to my two 12 volt batteries that are in parallel. I have several backup PWM Controllers also

My outboard is pull start and has no alternator

The solar and batteries power my autopilot, Depth, VHF, GPS, Inverter, computer, phone, lights, Verizon Interent Jetpack, fan, etc (drill, Shop Vac, etc if needed)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	At Anchor.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	336.6 KB
ID:	175974  
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 08:32   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have three 100W panels on top of the dodger, on a stainless pipe frame. It's probably the worst possible location because of mast, boom and mainsail shading, but I generally get perhaps 200W out of the system on a sunny day. I did this with full knowledge of the performance-hit, it was really an aesthetic decision. I'm happy with it. If I ever replace my "canvas" dodger with a hard-top, I will design it to hold the panels, perhaps some semi-flex ones.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 09:13   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
My next boat will be a ~37' mono. I would like to have some solar panels but do not want the windage and other compromises that come with either a "solar bimini" or panels mounted over the stern (on davitts, etc).

You can't mount any significant amount of solar without compromises. Pick your poison. For us two solid panels on a small arch and two flex panels on the bimini is our compromise. The bimini stays up all the time except for hurricane preparation while docked or at anchor.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 10:14   #6

There's a guy on a Bristol 27 that has 600 watts worth of solar.

He deploys it when possible would be my guess.

I may do the same thing with my additional 20 watt panel and with a 50 watt panel when I get it.

In the past with the 20 watt panel I just place it in one of my lazarette lockers when not in use and still have at least the one 65 watt panel online.
Old 23-08-2018, 10:36   #7

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

I know you said you don't particularly want a stern mount - but take a look at these arches from UNI-Arch

https://www.fishonsports.com/140.html

I plan on buying the middle sized one for my Cape Dory 28. I have two 24"X36" panels (I'm not sure of the wattage - maybe 150 each ?) that I will mount on it. It will also give me a place for attaching awnings, fishing poles, a grill and other stuff. They are light and yet strong and I think thru-bolted with backing plates they will be about as strong as anything else on a sailboat.
OldManMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 10:42   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
On my 27 foot boat, I have one 65 Watt Panel "deployed" pretty much permanently on the aft lazarette and a small 20 Watt Panel that I move around as needed.

Thomm, how do you attach the panel on the lazarette? While I understand you ordinarily keep it there, do you have an easy means of disconnecting it and stowing it below when necessary (for example, due to weather)?
Old 23-08-2018, 11:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Thomm, how do you attach the panel on the lazarette? While I understand you ordinarily keep it there, do you have an easy means of disconnecting it and stowing it below when necessary (for example, due to weather)?
It's not attached to the panel at all. I just have it tied on with some leech line to where some dinghy davits used to attach to the rear and on either side of the locker lid. If I'm going to be heeled way over for many miles/hours I'll tie one of the front corners to the stern railing to keep the panel from sliding to far. The wiring is on the aft end then goes down thru the cowling and to the controller in the cockpit locker

I have never removed that panel for wind, weather etc and have been in gusts to 40 knots plus at anchor during squalls

The panel rides with the locker lid every time it's lifted and put back down. My gas is in there both for the outboard's internal tank and my external tank which I have to get to every time I use it to open the vent and pump the fuel bulb

I sometimes partially stand on that panel to raise the outboard to get it totally out of the water

I think you can actually see the leech line that holds the rear of the panel a couple times in this video even though it's not that clear.

Old 23-08-2018, 12:04   #10

If I have to remove that panel on the Aft Lazarette, I just untie it, loosen the wires on the controller and remove the whole thing.
Old 23-08-2018, 12:31   #11

The Bristol 27 with the 600 watts of panels is the one pictured in the link below. Don't underestimate the boat by the pictures you see.

He's sailed that boat to New Zealand and around the Cape Of Good Hope in South Africa and back up here if I remember correctly.

He is also a CF Member. He tries to live on a dollar/day I heard. Now If we can get him to write a book of his adventures that would be great. He paid $1,000 for the boat.

Bristol27.com » Hull # – Alexandra
Old 23-08-2018, 17:32   #12

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

Ours are on folding davits on our stern rail
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 20:32   #13

Quote:
There's a guy on a Bristol 27 that has 600 watts worth of solar.

He deploys it when possible would be my guess.
Quote:
The Bristol 27 with the 600 watts of panels is the one pictured in the link below. Don't underestimate the boat by the pictures you see.

He's sailed that boat to New Zealand and around the Cape Of Good Hope in South Africa and back up here if I remember correctly.

He is also a CF Member. He tries to live on a dollar/day I heard. Now If we can get him to write a book of his adventures that would be great. He paid $1,000 for the boat.

Sean? I have great respect for what he's doing, and we agree on many things, and share some goals. But I do not share his approach to the cruising lifestyle.
Old 23-08-2018, 20:42   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Do you plan to have a dinghy? Will it ride on an aft arch? You might as well put your panels there. Space is always a premium so select high efficiency panels - max watts per square foot. There just are not many options.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 20:45   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Do you plan to have a dinghy?

Yes, most of the time. Boat will start its journey with me at a local marina and will not always have a dinghy for local trips.

Quote:
Will it ride on an aft arch?

No, it will be on the foredeck or towed, depending on the situation. If a deflatable, it may be deflated.

Quote:
There just are not many options.

Ain't that the truth.

Tags
solar, wind