Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2015, 06:20   #16

Boat: Ohlson 29
Re: Looking For Liveaboard's Couple New Boat

Oyster 90 - http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ms-151112.html

I'm still trying to figure out if your plans are real or not.

You can't afford a marina slip for a 36' boat, but you can afford to refit / maintain a 79' boat living on the hook? How?

You "have to" buy way more boat then you can afford, so you can charter her for the allowed 45 days per year. And you have to charter to afford the boat.

So ... buy a smaller boat, just for you and your g/f. One you can afford. All problems solved.
The extra feet you're looking to buy is all berths and bathrooms, not extra living space.

It just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 23-12-2015, 06:25   #17

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano_ita View Post
Mmm...max 24 meters = 79 ft because of my boating licence...but even 65 ft would be enough

Any link about it? Cant find under 1 million
He's being ironic/sarcastic, and is referring to the Polina Star III which has been the subject of a long thread recently under "Oyster Problems". That boat is never going to sail again.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 06:31   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepeteus View Post
Dont want to spoil the party....... but.......
Our 57 foot blue water cruiser just had her standing rigging replaced with new and only that cost $60k.
I am sure there is passage maker for that money, but how much to spend to get it up to speed?
cheers

O_O

Maybe a little overpriced?

For a 50 ft in italy about 5.000 euro, included vat, done in a boatyard with 3 worker, aerial platform...
stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 06:35   #19

That's what you think ... Go ask for some quotes from Italian riggers pls
And I do mean riggers - not some handy guy who has some stays lying around he'll sell you.

For that amount, I could get Lizzy new rigging, but not a much larger boat.
Not about to go to sea sporting 4 mm rigging

You have a somewhat .. let's say cheerful idea about what boats cost to maintain ...

How much do you think your 50'+ boat will cost you every year, just to keep her well maintained?
Old 23-12-2015, 09:26   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
That's what you think ... Go ask for some quotes from Italian riggers pls
And I do mean riggers - not some handy guy who has some stays lying around he'll sell you.

For that amount, I could get Lizzy new rigging, but not a much larger boat.
Not about to go to sea sporting 4 mm rigging

You have a somewhat .. let's say cheerful idea about what boats cost to maintain ...

How much do you think your 50'+ boat will cost you every year, just to keep her well maintained?

Benetau 50 ft

Lavori fai da te: il cambio del sartiame (di Paolo Liberati) - Farevela

With just a bit of handyness 4600 euro vat included, using the original size and specs of the benetau

For sure a bit of oversizing is never a bad idea...

I know that mantaining a boat is not easy, for sure once a month, mask and hull cleaning, washing with fresh water all the rig and all the standing wire, change fuel-oil filter-gearbo-engine oil, check battery terminals for sulfatization, check and clean the bilge, propellershaft bearing, grease furling jib, grease winch and anchor windlass (never heard someone doing it in all my life, like wahing the sails or cleaning the bilge), go once a year on the top of the mast and check standing rigging conditions, wind sensor, vhf/radar antenna connection/rust/paint and any other fixed or moving part like roller, eccc

I think that if someone maintain very well, things can last a lot more and far way better than what we know...
Old 24-12-2015, 19:55   #21

Boat: 1996 Island Packet 40

Having had a boat in a charter fleet for the last 4 years I wouldn't be out off buying a boat that is ex charter. At least it has been well cared for and maintained properly.

Of course have it surveyed and ask what does need doing now?
But your budget is a bit low.
If you buy an old fixer upper it can cost you more to re fit than to buy one that has recently been re fitted.
Bear that in mind.
Billboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 20:37   #22

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Stefano. Steadyhand suggested the dufout ct1200.
Have you looked at it on sailboat data.com?
Lots of cabins, bunks If you can find one of these in your price range...the world could be at your feet.
Youre asking for a lot of boat for not a big price.
This Dufour likes like the goods, assuming that those in the know approve the quality and sailing suitabilities.
Good luck Steph'
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 21:59   #23

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:
O_O

Maybe a little overpriced?

For a 50 ft in italy about 5.000 euro, included vat, done in a boatyard with 3 worker, aerial platform...
Sorry mate. This is utter nonsense.

Further more, I think you are a troll and wasting people's time.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 14:11   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
Sorry mate. This is utter nonsense.

Further more, I think you are a troll and wasting people's time.

I've posted the link a few post ago, belive it or not...

About the troll and wasting people's time i'm sorry to had made you waste 10 second to write your uncostructive comment...

@Billboy

Thanks for the advice, fore sure not an ex charter boat, as you said if not very well maintened (wrote as first post)
Waiting for the answer from the seller...and maybe from 2 different surveyor, just to be sure that the one that i call is "friend" of the seller and so on (italian thinking way: never thrust a seller, neither a impartial judge)

@Brianlara, yes, i also posted about the panamian dofour, that was quite good priced and interesting, yes, i get it has a sail area / displacement of 13.17, average motorsailer, however the interior are really interesting, especially for the stern bedroom with the bed in the middle like a home is a big pro

Old 25-12-2015, 14:20   #25

Quote:
With just a bit of handyness 4600 euro vat included, using the original size and specs of the benetau

For sure a bit of oversizing is never a bad idea...
I had to use google translate but from what sense it still made after translating, you're comparing a partial diy replacement with a full replacement done by a professional rigger. Apples and oranges, to be honest.

Quote:
I know that mantaining a boat is not easy
Nor cheap. You seem to have no budget planned for it, so I am worried about how you'll keep your large yacht in the condition she needs to be.

Why people think you're trolling (and I'm thinking the same too now):

- You ask questions, but when answered you explain to people why they're wrong.
If you already know best, you don't have to ask.

- What you want does not compute with reality.
But when that is pointed out, you, again, point out why you feel it is realistic.

So yeah, you are kind of wasting people's time

You know what you want, you think you can afford it, so - just go for it.
Reality might be a rude awakening, but problems are there to be solved, right?
You can always get a new job once you're on your boat and faced with the actual costs (and the kind and amount of work involved with chartering and living on a boat too).
Old 25-12-2015, 14:49   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
I had to use google translate but from what sense it still made after translating, you're comparing a partial diy replacement with a full replacement done by a professional rigger. Apples and oranges, to be honest.

Nor cheap. You seem to have no budget planned for it, so I am worried about how you'll keep your large yacht in the condition she needs to be.

Why people think you're trolling (and I'm thinking the same too now):

- You ask questions, but when answered you explain to people why they're wrong.
If you already know best, you don't have to ask.

- What you want does not compute with reality.
But when that is pointed out, you, again, point out why you feel it is realistic.

So yeah, you are kind of wasting people's time

You know what you want, you think you can afford it, so - just go for it.
Reality might be a rude awakening, but problems are there to be solved, right?
You can always get a new job once you're on your boat and faced with the actual costs (and the kind and amount of work involved with chartering and living on a boat too).
Mh, nice awakening post Thanks
Old 25-12-2015, 15:30   #27

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.

What Lizzie said. So bllody smart that girl....no not patronising, its true. Plenty of others would agree with my praise. Never ever talks crap.

Youd better be earning BIG money if this huge boat is going to remain afloat for long Steph'
Id luuurve you to have a 60 footer....but to be buying with a USD $70,000 (only) and wanting a boat over,say, 35 or so feet ....big worries for me.
You speak well Stephano, clearly a good person but im worried
Good hunting Matey.....oh! and i hope you are a multi talented tradesman type person...i hope.Cheers Boy.
Old 25-12-2015, 15:47   #28

Hell! I need to trust people.
You dont sound trolly to me Steph but i can see CLEARLY where Lizzies coming from.
Cheers Matey.
Old 25-12-2015, 16:03   #29

Oops - sorry if I'm too direct. Us Dutch folks are more direct, on average, then Americans are used to, I'm told ... not sure if true, but could very well be

Trolling isn't really the right word; I do think you really wants to buy a boat etc., but I also think you enjoy asking questions to proof the answers wrong (or at least, give it your best go )

Not really sure how to best word it in English; obviously not my first language and I'm pretty much self-taught so it can be hard finding the right words sometimes.
Old 25-12-2015, 16:17   #30

Lizzie...im Ausrtalian...and in Austra.ia. But suspecting im American is NOT an insult.
Lizzie.....direct, blunt...is good IMHO.
Happy life to you Girl.

Tags
liveaboard