Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2018, 00:49   #46
cruiser

Re: Looking at a really nice boat, but those decks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near2KR View Post
Here's the final update.

I have the time and skill, what I don't have is my own land to put it on to do the work. This is a big project, really big. A year or two in a yard that's affordable would not be cheap.

I spent more time on her. There is no way to repair the decks, a complete redo is necessary. Then there are thing like navtec parts that are no longer available etc. So, for me, this boat really isnt even worth it even if free.

I appreciate everybody's insight. very helpful.

Scott
It’s a lot of boat for the money, I would NOT let the teak decks scare me away from that boat. Remove, repair and replace.... then smile for many years.: A fiberglass replacement is a good idea. It’s a summer project, then you have a wonderful boat.

Way too many on this forum are scared of teak decks and like to propagate their fears onto newbees, and yes..... I’ve redone the teak on our Oyster 53 myself, so I do know what I’m talking about. Whereas most of the naysayers haven’t and they’re just repeating what they’ve read or heard.

We love our teak decks on the Oysters. Did not care much for our fiberglass deck on our Hunter which was too slippery.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 00:57   #47

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
It’s a lot of boat for the money, I would NOT let the teak decks scare me away from that boat. Remove, repair and replace.... then smile for many years.: A fiberglass replacement is a good idea.

Way too many on this forum are scared of teak decks and like to propagate their fears onto newbees, and yes..... I’ve redone the teak on our Oyster 53 myself, so I do know what I’m talking about. Whereas most of the naysayers haven’t and they’re just repeating what they’ve read or heard.

We love our teak decks on the Oysters. Did not care much for our fiberglass decks on our Hunter which were way too slippery.
Love your attitude. World needs more of it. Alden 44's are beautiful looking boats. Hits you in the eye when one comes into an anchorage. Getting too old at 74 to consider this plus I have a young Eclectus parrot to train and they cannot leave this country. Plus new Chinese wife !!!
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 01:13   #48
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
Love your attitude. World needs more of it. Alden 44's are beautiful looking boats. Hits you in the eye when one comes into an anchorage. Getting too old at 74 to consider this plus I have a young Eclectus parrot to train and they cannot leave this country. Plus new Chinese wife !!!
Very few can see an opportunity when it presents itself. When most on this forum were having fun kicking Oyster yachts when it was down, we saw an opportunity to grab another one. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...on-197105.html

The Alden 44 is an opportunity for the right individual.
Old 28-05-2018, 01:26   #49

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Very few can see an opportunity when it presents itself. When most on this forum were having fun kicking Oyster yachts when it was down, we saw an opportunity to grab another one. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...on-197105.html

Absolutely.
I saw it and thought cardboard patterns of deck
Make new foam core core nidaplast/poly core sections off boat with hard spots already done.
Zip off old deck
Drop in new deck, get it sealed and do underside tabs in a more relaxed state as weatherproofing pressure is off.

Could be done in bad sections first to lessen open time
Could be done on the water, I am slowly replacing our deck on our 60 fter, 1200mm at a time (width of sheet).

Skill set is ability to use you tube, count to 5 (resin mix) and can do attitude.
OP indicated he'd be happy with less than super yacht finish in favour of sailing.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 01:31   #50

Quote:

Maybe someone who is young and appreciates the lines. Probably will sell for a fair bit less. If I was to suffer a sudden wife and parrot loss then I'd be off for the last great adventure........ maybe. Glad I don't take drugs !!!!
Old 28-05-2018, 01:59   #51
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Absolutely.
I saw it and thought cardboard patterns of deck
Make new foam core core nidaplast/poly core sections off boat with hard spots already done.
Zip off old deck
Drop in new deck, get it sealed and do underside tabs in a more relaxed state as weatherproofing pressure is off.

Could be done in bad sections first to lessen open time
Could be done on the water, I am slowly replacing our deck on our 60 fter, 1200mm at a time (width of sheet).

Skill set is ability to use you tube, count to 5 (resin mix) and can do attitude.
OP indicated he'd be happy with less than super yacht finish in favour of sailing.
I see 500 hours of work followed by plenty of value and a lifetime of enjoyment.
Old 28-05-2018, 02:59   #52
cruiser

I live in the next town over from Newburyport in Whoville, MA if the OP wants another opinion by me or my marine engineer friend. We’ll be home next week, please feel free to contact us.
Old 28-05-2018, 06:35   #53

Quote:
I live in the next town over from Newburyport in Whoville, MA if the OP wants another opinion by me or my marine engineer friend. We’ll be home next week, please feel free to contact us.
Thanks for the generous offer. If I decide to consider further, i'l pm you.

Scott
Near2KR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 07:31   #54

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Here's the final update.

I have the time and skill, what I don't have is my own land to put it on to do the work. This is a big project, really big. A year or two in a yard that's affordable would not be cheap.

I spent more time on her. There is no way to repair the decks, a complete redo is necessary. Then there are thing like navtec parts that are no longer available etc. So, for me, this boat really isnt even worth it even if free.

I appreciate everybody's insight. very helpful.

Scott
**Sigh** That is very sad. What a tragedy to see her neglected like that.

I've wanted a 44 ever since I was a kid, used to see them sailing on Long Island Sound. And when I was in the market for my current boat I looked a a few. Either they were too expensive or they were neglected and overpriced because they were an Alden. I know one in similar shape sold for $75k a few years ago, which I thought was ridiculous as I was well acquainted with how much work she needed.

And they are quick boats for what they are, rating around 110 I believe. Extremely sweet sailing boat. Certainly a bit cramped down below by modern standards. But when you're sailing a piece of artwork, who cares about storage.

This one was listed for $200k a few years ago. Took awhile to sell but it was immaculate. Probably got north of $150k for her I imagine.

Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 03:43   #55

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

I want to stress that the real issue is not the teak deck, but the (core) deck beneath it.

I never heard a teak deck owner unhappy of it. It is luxury and it costs accordingly.

The asked price may look attractive by US standards, but it sounds quite normal, and negotiable, to a European buyer.

To me, the answer is not rational nor economic , but only out of sentiment. If you pay for a passion , it is worth it. If you pay for a PlainBoat, much less so, and probably not the best decision in your life.
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:15   #56

Boat: Freewind 40'
Send a message via Skype™ to Moufflon

I have a 1983 Freewind 43" 7 berths from Portsmouth, a great boat, but like you the Teak deck started to leak, some 4,000 machine screws and 30 years turned it into swiss cheese.
My deck is in sections, Aft a poop deck, wheel house roof, side to fore deck and the coach roof. Starting from the top, Wheelhouse remove hardware, all wiring then the roof off, cried when I tried to strip the Teak but it wouldn't come off in any useful strips, cleared back to beams then removed broken Silica bronze screws, level and make fair, lay 2 sheets of 14mm Marine grade ply with biscuit tongue and grove joints, second layer crossed so joints are not in line, now 2 layers of fibre class cross fibre mat, with taped edges. covered by 7mm x 28mm Teak strip decking glued and clamped, nail less.
Same on all 5 decks. all done cos $10,000 took over a year. followed by heart attack and not been able to sell the boat for 2 years.
Forget it, hire a boat for a month and you will be happy, NEVER think you can fix everything.
Old 04-06-2018, 14:48   #57

Boat: Formosa F46 46'

I have done all three jobs on a Formosa F46. Removed the teak decks and grinding off all the glue, re-cored sections of saturated deck, and laid new glass down overall. It's a big job, for sure, but not impossible, nor all that difficult or expensive if you do the work yourself. Give it time and pace yourself.
An Alden 44 is a very nice boat and deserving of a caring owner... happy to share more in-depth info if you decide to move forward.

Shane
snbrooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 18:21   #58

I really appreciate everybody’s comments on this subject. After spending a lot of time on a friends 42ft Irwin I realized that although the project is doable the boat itself is just too big for me. I don’t have anywhere enough friends to crew it when complete.

I hope someone puts it back together, it’s so damn pretty

Scott
Near2KR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 19:15   #59

Quote:
I really appreciate everybody’s comments on this subject. After spending a lot of time on a friends 42ft Irwin I realized that although the project is doable the boat itself is just too big for me. I don’t have anywhere enough friends to crew it when complete.

I hope someone puts it back together, it’s so damn pretty

Scott
Not the same displacement or volume as the Irwin. Do you get the feeling that some of us want you to save this boat ?? I singlehanded the F and C 44 a few times. Who needs friends ??
Old 05-06-2018, 09:12   #60

Boat: Formosa F46 46'

Have to agree with picklesandjesse, those two boats are not similar at all with performance or displacement. You could single hand the Alden 44 just fine given a thoughtful setup and you will have room to cruise comfortably..... never met anyone with a smaller boat who was not wanting a bit bigger...
If the owner is motivated to offload the project, asking price is just that "asking price". I would be more concerned about the other systems in the boat, ie engine, fuel and water tanks, rigging, sails, etc. the deck work, is as I said, not that difficult.
snbrooker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, deck