Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2018, 10:15   #31

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Looking at a really nice boat, but those decks...

Awsome boat! Might be a good time to try Injectadeck because it's a pretty safe bet the deck core is bad in a lot of places.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 10:18   #32

I’d like to offer another view. I own a 1977 cruising boat built in Europe. It has teak decks that are functional but not nice. I have no leaks at all!!
It depends on how the deck is built. Mine has an upper outside glass layer, an inner glass layer and a foam core. The core is closed cell foam. You can drill all the holes you want into the teak and upper layer of glass because the core does not allow water to penetrate.
So, research the construction of the deck on the boat your interested in.
Also, my boat is in Rio Dolce, Guatemala. I got a quote from RAM marine boat yard to remove the teak decks, fill holes and put down non-skid. $8,000 for a 43fioot boat. Labor is very cheap there yet work is excellent.
Great price but at the end of the day I decided to keep my decks and enjoy life.
Don’t give up. Do your research.
Good luck!!
S/V Dreamtime
PLeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 10:39   #33

Boat: Gauntlet 12 ton

What you need is a "proper yacht" - i.e. one that I have for sale. It's entirely timber built in NZ and launched 40 years ago. She is a 12 ton displacement double ended Gauntlet.
Carvel timber hull and Teak decks. The Teak is 1" and laid over canvas impregnated with Stockholm Tar on top of NZ Kauri 1" timber. All nailed with Monel nails. Needs re-caulking now but it is otherwise a 100% original deck 40 years on.
We sailed from NZ in 2011 and the yacht is now in Fethiye, Turkey - ready to go cruising again. Only reason for selling is that we are now 71 and think it's time we retired from long distance sailing!
Cheers...............................
jasbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 11:25   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near2KR View Post
Well, its an Alden design. So it's almost a dream boat for me. It's priced at less than 50% of better kept examples. The thing is I want a sailboat not an art piece. I have some but limited experience in this sort of stuff but have never dealt with cored decks. I just dont know if my couple of layers of cloth would work. Im looking to sail, not create a museum piece. I know, I know, how long is a piece of string.

Most people don't have the talent to take that project on and Iam sure there not lining up to buy it. Your offer may be the only one they get so make avery low offer. If you get it congrats and if not move on....
erie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 14:06   #35

Boat: Gulfstar 41' ketch

I looked through the photos of the Newport Alden. It is a nice hull design but it was obviously set up to race not cruise. IMHO it is one worn out boat! It has been hard used and never been maintained. Almost every photo shows something that needs to be renewed or replaced. I would estimate that more than 125,000 USD would go into this boat before I would want to leave the dock. As it stands I don't think this boat is worth 30,000 if that.
sailor_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 15:05   #36

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38

You also need to add in that you are going to have to empty the boat’s interior. When you start removing that teak and cutting away glass she is going to leak like a sieve below deck, that is you are not under a shed.
KadeyKrogen38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 15:10   #37

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near2KR View Post
In my search for a liveaboard/ cruising boat, I've come across a real beauty. Impeccable designer, quality build ( for the late '70s) etc. This one might be a little big, but checks off all the boxes except for the teak decks. They look like Austin Powers teeth, except not that nice. There is clear evidence of water intrusion into the headliner etc.

The question is, on a boat of 42-46 ft in length, is it possible/practical to pull the teak up, fill all 7000 screw holes with epoxy, add two layers of bidirectional fabric in epoxy with a coat of non skidand sail on ? Or is it absolute necessary to pull decks up and recore etc. Not looking to cross the atlantic yet, but dont want to throw a lot of good money after bad.

Thanks for your insights.

Scott
I know the boat you are considering if it is in new England. There is mostly core damage throughout the whole deck. Just be prepared for that if you move forward.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 15:26   #38

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Sorry that is the one I thought you were looking at and put in the wrong link. This is the direct link. https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197.../United-States
We bought an F and C 44 in Jamestown RI 20 years ago in the same condition. The Perkins was only running on 3 cyls. We sailed/motored down to St Augustine and painted the hull, redid brightwork, reconditioned the engine and then sailed to Bahamas, Panama, up the west coast and ended up in Ventura where I worked on her for 6 months each winter at AnchorsWay boatyard. I loved that boat and really enjoyed working on her and she really looked beautiful when we sold her after 10 years. Because I did all the work we never spent that much money and we were living aboard in the boatyard and homeschooling our son. It was better than being back in Vancouver in the winter and we had a great time.
I think if you love the boat and enjoy working on them then it can be very rewarding and if you can cruise at the same time and homeschool your children it's even better. Maybe I'm just crazy but I believe you have to be able to row away from your boat ( yes...row !!! no inflatable ) and look at her and be in love.
Good luck... you can buy it for less I believe.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 13:56   #39
Marine Service Provider

If you have plenty of time and the skill of course it's not only possible but probably more desirable. I know several people who have done it. From your description you many not have any cheap and easy course if hiring out all the work. A redo with teak will be more expensive.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 07:48   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
If you have plenty of time and the skill of course it's not only possible but probably more desirable.
Here's the final update.

I have the time and skill, what I don't have is my own land to put it on to do the work. This is a big project, really big. A year or two in a yard that's affordable would not be cheap.

I spent more time on her. There is no way to repair the decks, a complete redo is necessary. Then there are thing like navtec parts that are no longer available etc. So, for me, this boat really isnt even worth it even if free.

I appreciate everybody's insight. very helpful.

Scott
Near2KR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 10:11   #41

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Ya dodged a bullet, and this is coming from someone who likes the idea of bringing (some) ol boats back to life. There are plenty of fish in the sea. It all depends on your definition of fun, and no one can judge that. Lot of folks go to Vegas and blow thousands of dollars and call THAT fun.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 10:18   #42

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Good job on the assessment and know when to walk away! Also glad you didn't let your emotions cloud your judgement.

Keep on looking and you'll find another one!.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 14:47   #43

I agree. The deck sounds like a nightmare. We were lucky with the F and C as the decks just needed the seams raking out and new compound then a sand, maybe 500 new plugs.
Old 27-05-2018, 18:02   #44

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49

My teak decks are 34 years old. I throw a few buckets of salt water on them about once a week and hit them with a deck brush. If I see bird droppings or something I spot cleanse with salt water and deck brush. If it's crazy hot out I'll give them a couple buckets of salt water. They look brand new, have never been sanded, and don't leak a drop.

All that being said I bought a top quality yacht.
Old 27-05-2018, 23:47   #45

Old school... love it. But you must not scrub very hard either I'm guessing.

Tags
boat, deck