Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2008, 09:17   #1

Lancer Motorsailer

Hello, we are looking to purchase a different sailboat. We recently sailed across the Pacific in a Passport 42, which was an excellent boat for that. Now we are looking for a boat with more room for diving and fishing from. We are looking at Lancer motorsailers. Does anyone have experience with these boats? How do they handle with following seas? We have heard they only sail downwind with a spinnaker, how do they sail otherwise? Crossing we had many days of 10-18 foot following seas and never had a problem with water pooping the boat due to its canoe stern. How would the square open back of a Lancer do? Any information would be appreciated.
Insearchof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 09:22   #2

Boat: Catana 471
Sounds like you want a cat.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 09:36   #3

cat would be nice, but...

We are looking to spend less than 100,000 on this boat, so we have more money to use while cruising. We have a 7 year old, so we have to have enough room for him and his toys!
Old 23-05-2008, 09:39   #4

Boat: Catana 471
Understood - good luck with your search. Your son is a lucky boy!

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 12:09   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
The Lancer line of boats was one of the poorest production boats ever put together. Cross it off your list and find one of the thousands of other boats available on the market to fit your needs.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 12:51   #6

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
InSearchOf - What area are you in?
Chuck Baier - Thanks for the candid take on the Lancer line. I was at one time looking at a Lancer 30 but the owner would not commit to sell so I moved on. Glad I did - I had always wondered how they were since then. I never hear much about them.

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 19:04   #7

Boat: Sunkyong Marine Ltd. 37' Sedan Trawler - Savannah
If you like the Lancer, take a look at Schuckers. They're a very similar motorsailer to the Lancer in the 40 foot version. It's at the top of my list when I buy another boat in a couple years.
GDFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2008, 23:43   #8

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
The Lancer line of boats was one of the poorest production boats ever put together. Cross it off your list and find one of the thousands of other boats available on the market to fit your needs.
Having looked for a long time and having settle on a Lancer 44 Motorsailer a few years ago I have to disagree on the above statement. I don't know what they looked like originally but I find this boat to be well built, solid hull, well equipped and an ideal boat for the PNW. This one is loaded with bells and whistles, great to manouvre in tight spots, sails well windward. Was not very good down wind but I expect my new asym. spinaker will fix that. I originally bypassed this boat several times before having a good look at it. I am glad I did.
Old 25-05-2008, 10:06   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I would consult with a marine surveyor on the quality of Lancer's...someone who has actually surveyed a number of them.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2008, 11:54   #10

I have met very few sailors that would outright say," Well I bought a piece of crap." My point being that we all have a bias toward the boat we own. Even if it is not right for someone else. Asking a surveyor THAT HAS SURVEYED THE LANCER is an excellent idea but don't go asking surveyors their opinion on a particular boat they have not done surveys on.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 25-05-2008, 21:57   #11

Before i bought the boat I also had trepidations because of similar unqualified comments I heard so I had a highly respected Surveying firm in Vancouver do a thorough out of the water and including a sea trial survey. The surveyor had never surveyed one before so he went through it expecting the worst. He concluded that it was a well built boat and after the sea trial, his comments as a sailor was: "I never sailed on a boat where I didn't feel the wind in my face or my back. If you don't buy it I will make an offer on it." This is from a surveyor who has been in the business for a long time and a sailor for even longer. I agree that no one should buy a boat without a survey and every boat made by any company are not all equal. Especially older boats.
Old 25-05-2008, 22:08   #12

Thanks Lancerbye

I was hoping for an answer from someone who had experience with the boat itself, not just hearsay. Is yours a twin or a single? Have you been out with high following seas? Did you need to motor? Did the aft fish tail around? What year is yours? We have heard that you need the spinnaker to make it go downwind, how is it for other points of sail? Does it squat under power? How does it do actually motor sailing? Thanks for any information.
Old 26-05-2008, 01:50   #13

Insearchof

Mine is a twin 85 hp @2600 rpm Perkins with BW velvet drive trannies. I haven't yet been out in anything bigger than 6 ft. following seas, no problems. I did use the motor and motorsailed. I have the boomless main so downwind sailing does not get you enough power for down wind sailing. The boat will go down wind but you won't be breaking any speed records. I am in the process of setting up an asym. spinaker to solve that problem. Mine is an 1981. It sails well at other points of sail and doesn't heel a lot.The boat will squat a bit when under power but not a lot. It will do 10 knots under power while burning 3 gph. If the winds are light I prefer motorsailing with one engine running at 1000rpm. Fuel consumption drops to .5 gal/hr and getting between 7.5 and 8 knots is not difficult.With out the engine in 5 to 10 knot breeze you will top out at about 5.5 to 6 knots. It points up well. I mostly coastal cruise so I have no first hand experience in the bluewater with this boat. However the Straits of Georgia can provide one with some interesting challenges. I am also getting up there in years so I wanted comfort and ease of sail handling. Manoeuvering this boat in marinas is a treat because of the twins and a bow thruster. The back cockpit also offers a great fishing platform, another of my favourite pastimes. What you plan on doing with a boat should determine the type of boat you want to get. This is the right type for me. It is not the right type for everyone.
Old 26-05-2008, 06:04   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insearchof View Post
I was hoping for an answer from someone who had experience with the boat itself, not just hearsay. Is yours a twin or a single? Have you been out with high following seas? Did you need to motor? Did the aft fish tail around? What year is yours? We have heard that you need the spinnaker to make it go downwind, how is it for other points of sail? Does it squat under power? How does it do actually motor sailing? Thanks for any information.
As a yacht broker for over a decade My experience with these boats is fairly extensive. I personally attended surveys with each owner that considered purchase of these vessels. I have dealt with surveys on several Lancers and not just one or two and in every case the buyer rejected the boat of the bases of the survey and the current conditions and maintenance had nothing to do with that decision. So take that for what it is worth and good luck with your search. BTW, I too am a qualified surveyor.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 26-05-2008, 09:06   #15

thank you lancerbye

Thank you for the information. I appreciate it.

I did not mean to offend anyone (Chuck), in asking for information from someone who has first hand experience. If you are going to say a boat is "the worst production boat ever built" it would be nice if you preface it with your qualifications to state such an opinion. There are MANY opinions out there and unless there is some firsthand experience the opinion is just that. Thank you for your information also, now that I know you have been around this boat. What were the things that the surveyor found that were bad on the boat? It would be helpful in our search to know what to look for before we shell out the $500+ for a survey.

Tags
lancer, motorsailer