Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2023, 09:48   #31
Junior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lancer, 43'
Re: Lancer Motorsailer

Aloha! Do you still have your Lancer? I just inherited my Dad's, and am on a steep learning curve. Right now I need to learn head maintenance, so if you have any guidance, it would be much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer 44PS View Post
We have had our 1981 Lancer 44 for some 12+ years and she has been a wonderful boat. When we purchased her from the 2nd owner in Casifornia we had an extensive survey and she passed with flying colors. The only real problem we have had was with the big 185hp Perkins (yes 2) that we replaced with twin Yanmar 200hp 4 cylender engines a couple of years ago. The Perkins were just to big and were impossible to work on because of the physical size of the engines and the ever present English oli leaks that are standard equipment. After we had had the boat for approx. five years, the owner that we bought if from called and wanted to buy it back in the worst way -- she was not for sale then and she is still not for sale! Some of the late production (around 1986) boats the were produced when Lancer Yachts were going bankrupt were of questionable quality, but not all of them. In the early years of our ownrship I had a Lancer owner's web site called "The Lancer Yacht Connection" and was not made aware of anyone that had serious problems. While probably not of the "pureist" of sailors we found that 10 ft. following seas in the Straits of Gerogia were best handled by powering with the bow handing over the lead wave which is quite comfotable -- you have to have the power to due this, and we do (MaryMar will do 18+ knts. under power - the guys in the marina call her a "wanta-be sail boat", but we love her just he same!) Good luck with search.
Hula Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2024, 10:26   #32

Hula Rider,
I have a Lancer 44 MotorSailor in La Paz Mexico.
I love the boat more every day. I've rebuilt the Perkins...2x 80HP 4-236s.
I've put new windows in her. (Against the Wind). I've had the windlass rebuilt.
I've glassed some thru hulls. Redone some woodwork. Next, new standing and running rigging. She makes a grand waterfront condo too. This is our third winter in LaPaz.
We love the layout.
The head is a macerator...jabsco...you can buy rebuilt kits...easy to rebuild...I just did mine. Watch the youtube.
I'm washing bilges now...getting ready to go out and catch some YellowTails and Mahi Mahi. Message me with your questions.

Eddiefuego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2024, 13:57   #33
Junior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mahalo so much for your reply! That's great to hear you love her!

On the head, I have some SUPER basic questions. My dad did not believe "ladies" should concern themselves with these things and would never show me!

1) Where/how do you put in the water for the head tank?
a) is it a separate system from the rest of the fresh water?
b) if it is, where does the other fresh water go in?
c) where are the holding tanks located?
2) Where/how do you take the effluent out?
a) where is the holding tank for the effluent located?

Thanks so very much!
Hula
Old 26-03-2024, 13:09   #34

Hola Amiga.

Quick reply...I'll have more time later...tickle me

The macerator pump pull sea water from a ball valve under your sink. The valve must be open.

The sea water is pulled by the macerator into the bowl...coming in both below and above the bowl. You should be getting a big swirl in the bowl while the switch is on.
The waste in the bowl is pulled down, thru the macerator and the same action pumps it on out.
By out...I mean ...to a holding tank or outside. The outflow goes out the bottom back of the unit...perhaps a larger red hose...back under your sink and the to a holding or overboard.

What's happening now?
If you want...call me and I can visit with you while ur looking. 011 52 612 200 7128. My mex number
Eddiefuego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2024, 13:35   #35
Junior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Smile Re: Lancer Motorsailer

Oh, cool! Iʻm not at the boat today, but will message you and schedule a time when I will be aboard. Thanks bunches!

This is a hand-pump, but maybe there is a switch somewhere that I do not know about. Maybe we can face-time or something and I can show you what I am looking at.

Thank you so very much!

Tags
lancer, motorsailer