Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2009, 14:24   #1

Interim Boat

Living in Dubai where used sailboats of quality and decent price are few and far between. Seems that any boats second hand here are going for an arm and a leg, if they are decent. Feedback from those in the know is that most owners take them back home when they repatriate if in good condition. The rest seem to be junk or if decent, very expensive. I could buy a new and expensive yacht, but the mooring fees, maintenance and insurance costs here are crazy. Hence I figure that I should take my time and find the boat of my dreams or let her find me......or comission my own desires. Then once ready to depart Dubai, sail off into the sunset in my new love. In the meantime the commission would not cost the normal ransom as I can take advantage of the tax free status of Dubai.

Not sure 100% which boat spec I want as a cruiser, but closely following and believing in Steve Dashew's logic. Hence will likely commision and have my dream built to my spec but it will take a couple years. At the moment I'm seriously considering K&M builders in Holland (Sailing yachts custom built, K&M Yachtbuilders, Netherlands) using a Berckemeyer BM60 design.
Berckemeyer Yacht Design

In the meantime I want to get back onto the water and am seriously considering the fact that there is a decent fleet of SB3's here in Dubai.

Today I looked over a 2007 SB3 in good condition for 20K USD. This would enable me to get out day sailing and racing for the next 24 months and then resell at a slight loss as my dream boat is close to wet commissioning/launch.

Anyone have any thoughts on the SB3 or my logic?

Cheers.

Ben.
bbhflts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 15:13   #2

Boat: EliBit, Evolution 25
he ben, have a look here Building Merrimac II: News
bitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 23:14   #3

Interesting. Hadn't looked over VAN DE STADT DESIGN. Will have to ping the owners and see what their thoughts are re the different designs. I definitely want the hydraulic lifting keel. Changes the game of entering anchorages and marinas with such a sized boat.
bbhflts is offline   Reply With Quote