Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2010, 20:57   #1

Hunter 40

Im wondering how reliable a hunter 40 would be crossing the pacific? Would you do it?
trevordean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2010, 21:17   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
wow. we almost went a week before yet another person who had just joined the forum asked about whether a given brand of production boat would be reliable.

here's the answer: NO. you can't cross the Pacific in a Hunter. Or a Beneteau. Or a Catalina. Or a Juneau. Or a Bavaria. Or a Hanse. Their keels fall off, their rudders break, they tend to bend in a seaway. The fact that only an idiot would purchase such a boat is evidenced in the fact that so many of them are sold to people who obviously know no better.

Please don't allow the fact that such boats routinely cross the Pacific, not to mention other oceans, confuse the facts. And fact number one is this: when it comes to cruising, nothing is more important than brand.

That goes double for catamarans.
Old 17-10-2010, 01:09   #3

Oh no......... Ma - Bash has stopped taking his pills again. You contact Dr Jones and we'll hold him down until he recovers.
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 03:15   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
Oh no......... Ma - Bash has stopped taking his pills again. You contact Dr Jones and we'll hold him down until he recovers.
Hey Minty,

Send some pills out here... I was about to write something similar but Ann hogtied me. I think that I'd rather take pills!

ho, ho, ho!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 17-10-2010, 05:46   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Hey Minty,

Send some pills out here... I was about to write something similar but Ann hogtied me. I think that I'd rather take pills!

ho, ho, ho!

Cheers,

Jim
Personally, I'd go ANYWHERE in a 40ft Hunter - especially if I had some pills to deliver!

Capt. Bligh crossed a large swathe of the Pacific in a ship's boat. Shackleton did the same in the South Atlantic. If they can manage it in row-boats then I suspect a 40ft Hunter will be just fine.

(.... and yes Bash - I know you where being tongue in cheek)

TBH, I think that when someone says "you cannot go anywhere in a Beneteau/Jeanneau/Hunter/Catalina/etc/etc" we should all just reply with one or two words

Shackleton!
Bligh!
Old 17-10-2010, 05:53   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:

Capt. Bligh crossed a large swathe of the Pacific in a ship's boat. Shackleton did the same in the South Atlantic. If they can manage it in row-boats then I suspect a 40ft Hunter will be just fine.
Heck, that guy in the 1970s drifted accross the atlantic from the Canaries to the Caribbean in 76 days in a rubber life raft. Thats only double the time some ARC folks are figuring on.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 05:57   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Heck, that guy in the 1970s drifted accross the atlantic from the Canaries to the Caribbean in 76 days in a rubber life raft. Thats only double the time some ARC folks are figuring on.
Given the state of your dink, his record should be fairly safe. Have you managed that motorised surfboard/hatchway yet?

There have been a number of people who have rowed across the Atlantic. Hell's bells - if a row boat can do it....
Old 17-10-2010, 07:14   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Given the state of your dink, his record should be fairly safe. Have you managed that motorised surfboard/hatchway yet?

'Lil Dink is fine. I now take a life jacket when I go in her and am considering the EPIRB.
When I get to the dinghy dock I have to take the engine off and chain it to the dock then 'Lil Dink can stay afloat for an hour or so

Woe.

Old 17-10-2010, 07:49   #9
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

Woe.
You see, there's the proof of what I'm saying. You wouldn't be having such woe were you not circumnavigating in one of those damned unsafe production boats. (And don't let the fact that you've actually crossed oceans in yours confuse the issue.)

Think about it. When's the last time you saw a raggety-worn dink on the davits of a Swan, Oyster or Hinkley?
Old 17-10-2010, 07:50   #10
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevordean View Post
Im wondering how reliable a hunter 40 would be crossing the pacific? Would you do it?
I have emailed Hunter Yachts to ask them that very question . I'm confident that if i get an answear back it will be an honest one .No responce will also answear your question ....will let you know.

www.byamee.com
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 08:07   #11
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I was about to write something similar but Ann hogtied me. I think that I'd rather take pills!
You should have seen the first response I composed. I self-moderated it, however, because the mods don't seem to like it when I use the word "troll."
(This should NOT be interpreted as a complaint about the mods!)

Seriously, however, Bash is on a campaign to keep this forum safe from ugly little monsters who want to bash production boats. Or catamarans. Or quadramarans for goodness sake.

The campaign began just a few days ago when someone wanted to complain about a chartered Juneau rounding up because its rudder tended to cavitate. Sheesh. I responded, as nicely as possible, that when you put the rail down far enough that the rudder comes out of the water, it will tend to cavitate. On any boat. But don't blame the boat for that, blame the "sailor."

I have to go play golf now. In the rain.
Old 17-10-2010, 08:17   #12
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post

Think about it. When's the last time you saw a raggety-worn dink on the davits of a Swan, Oyster or Hinkley?
Yesterday. So I stole it.

Old 17-10-2010, 10:19   #13

Bligh and Shackleton were better sailors than I. At the right time of year you could go out in the Pacific with a Hunter 40. Many things will break but it will probably float you to your destination. I don't thing Bligh or Shack would have left England in tenders. They made it work because they were great sailors. If you are a great sailor then go in a hunter with lots of tools and spares.
Think middle of the night with bolt cutters on the foredeck and your running rigging wrapped around your prop in big seas and even if you can handle that can your spouse or will she get off at the next stop? This is a very important aspect of going mano-a-mano with mom nature.
If you can handle that then you can take a Hunter 40 across the Pacific.
Cheers
Larry
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 10:37   #14
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Think middle of the night with bolt cutters on the foredeck and your running rigging wrapped around your prop in big seas and even if you can handle that can your spouse or will she get off at the next stop?

Larry

I don't see why someone who gets their running rigging wrapped around their prop can blame the boat. Losing sheets overboard and then turning the engine on doesn't have Hunter written on the skippers forehead. Its got Dickwit.

Old 17-10-2010, 12:50   #15

Mark
Interesting terminology.
One reason you have bolt cutters on the foredeck is that your rig has disappeared over the side. Perhaps it was too light for conditions as in hunter production boats offshore. Weather is not something that one cannot control when covering large distances. Rigs often have lines attached and while I myself try to sail as much as possible it is not at all unusual to motor with sails up. I am surprised you don't?
As for ad hominem attacks the are usually indicative of a weak argument.
Cheers
Larry
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter