Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2015, 20:24   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 2
Hunter 36 Seaworthiness

Hi! My husband and I are new to the site snd are seriously looking at several hunters around 35-37 to live aboard and sail from the mainland to the Bahamas and all though the Caribbean (south of Puerto Rico). Do these boats handle long trips well? Are they sea worthy and capable of a such trip compared to some other manufacturers?
__________________

__________________
lrainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 20:29   #2
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 2,961
Re: Hunter 36 Seaworthiness

OK, who wants to go first?

__________________

__________________
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 20:31   #3
Registered User
 
Island Time O25's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,019
Re: Hunter 36 Seaworthiness

I was going to chime in with "good enough" but you beat me to it.
__________________
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 20:33   #4
Registered User
 
scuba0_1's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: naples
Boat: 2005 Catalina 350
Posts: 670
Re: Hunter 36 Seaworthiness

not trying to be rude but if your are new to the site welcome goto the search and type in Hunter and you will get more then you can read. 1 good idea is goto the Hunter owner form.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 22:31   #5
Registered User
 
J Clark H356's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Grand Rivers, KY
Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Posts: 505
Re: Hunter 36 Seaworthiness

We have a 2003 Hunter 356 with 7500 nautical miles on it. We are very well equipped with generator, KVH tracking Antenna and all the electronics, radar, sonar, AIS. Very good boat at sea and at port. Most of your time is at port, so get a comfortable boat.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 23:01   #6
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,510
Re: Hunter 36 Seaworthiness

As the former owner of a Hunter 450, I can say the boats you're looking at will be good for the cruising you intend to do. We had our boat based in Long Beach, CA and sailed it up and down the California coastline and out to the Channel islands. Island hopping and coastal cruising is what the Hunters excel at. Enjoy.

35ft however, is a little tight for living aboard for extended periods. You may want to look at some 40 footers.
__________________
Kenomac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:12   #7
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,573
Images: 240
Re: Hunter 36 Seaworthiness

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Irainmaker.
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:47   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 2
Re: Hunter 36 Seaworthiness

Jclark and kenomac thank you for the encouraging words and advice. Appreciate the help and we will look at some 40s..


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
lrainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:17   #9
Registered User
 
Ericson38's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Virginia
Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter
Posts: 187
Re: Hunter 36 Seaworthiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
As the former owner of a Hunter 450, I can say the boats you're looking at will be good for the cruising you intend to do. We had our boat based in Long Beach, CA and sailed it up and down the California coastline and out to the Channel islands. Island hopping and coastal cruising is what the Hunters excel at. Enjoy.

35ft however, is a little tight for living aboard for extended periods. You may want to look at some 40 footers.

Kenomac,

What years were you cruising there ? We started in San Pedro in 1985 and through 2005. Do you remember the Memorial Day storm at Catalina in '87 ?
__________________
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:26   #10
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 17,032
Re: Hunter 36 Seaworthiness

All boats have limitations, if you acknowledge that and stay within those limits, you'll be fine in any boat.
I almost bought a Hunter, a 356, but really liked the layout of the 386 a lot better as in it you could walk around the bed, and I think you could get to the head directly from the stateroom in the 386, but had to go through the salon on the 356?

We looked at newer 36's too, but I couldn't get over the fake wood floor of the newer boats, the real wood looked so much better to me.

Hunter's niche is in my opinion a good "starter" boat, meant for weekend and near coastal sailing, and there they do fine, but since you asked, they are not considered as sea worthy and as capable as some other manufacturers, but acknowledge that and plan accordingly and you will be fine
__________________
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:17   #11
Registered User
 
DDabs's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. George's, Grenada
Boat: Caliber 40LRC
Posts: 1,505
Images: 16
Re: Hunter 36 Seaworthiness

Big fan of the Hunter Legend 35. Ours had the deep 6'6" keel and that thing was a beast to sail. A lot of people on these forums seem to bash Hunters, so be aware of that.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:41   #12
RTB
Registered User
 
RTB's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Home port Kemah, TX Currently in Brunswick Georgia
Boat: Hunter 36
Posts: 1,509
Images: 2
Re: Hunter 36 Seaworthiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

35ft however, is a little tight for living aboard for extended periods. You may want to look at some 40 footers.
Just depends on the person, I guess? We've lived aboard and been cruising our Hunter 36 since August of 2012. Not to small for us. Any yes, the boat is great for the OP's purpose. Mind you, not all Hunter 36's are the same. Ours is a 1982 Cherubini 36. Even more room in the newer models, I imagine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	map.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	101234

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:27   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jupiter FL
Boat: temporarily boatless...
Posts: 723
Re: Hunter 36 Seaworthiness

To the OP: you probably weren't aware of the can of worms you were opening. Don't worry about it.

I spent a number of years sailing a a H36. It is a very good coastal cruising boat, and I made many gulf stream crossings with it, including some pretty snarly ones. I would have no problem sailing it on offshore voyages of a few days. The real problem with Hunter for longer voyages is tankage (water and fuel). That shouldn't be an issue in the range that you described.

If the s&*t hit the fan, would I rather be on a boat with a full keel, backstays, etc? Yes. But you can avoid that mostly. Your main exposure will be sudden squalls, and I have been through many of those on a H36 with no problem. And as I said, if conditions got REALLY bad and I had my choice, I would be on something else. But that's not to say the Hunter wouldn't come through just fine. It probably would (if well maintained).

For your purposes, it will be a fine boat.

Pete
__________________
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:01   #14
RTB
Registered User
 
RTB's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Home port Kemah, TX Currently in Brunswick Georgia
Boat: Hunter 36
Posts: 1,509
Images: 2
Re: Hunter 36 Seaworthiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete33458 View Post
To the OP: you probably weren't aware of the can of worms you were opening. Don't worry about it.

I spent a number of years sailing a a H36. It is a very good coastal cruising boat, and I made many gulf stream crossings with it, including some pretty snarly ones. I would have no problem sailing it on offshore voyages of a few days. The real problem with Hunter for longer voyages is tankage (water and fuel). That shouldn't be an issue in the range that you described.

If the s&*t hit the fan, would I rather be on a boat with a full keel, backstays, etc? Yes. But you can avoid that mostly. Your main exposure will be sudden squalls, and I have been through many of those on a H36 with no problem. And as I said, if conditions got REALLY bad and I had my choice, I would be on something else. But that's not to say the Hunter wouldn't come through just fine. It probably would (if well maintained).

For your purposes, it will be a fine boat.

Pete
So your answer to the OP is....yes....or no? Kinda hard to tell.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:12   #15
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 2,961
Re: Hunter 36 Seaworthiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Just depends on the person, I guess? We've lived aboard and been cruising our Hunter 36 since August of 2012. Not to small for us. Any yes, the boat is great for the OP's purpose. Mind you, not all Hunter 36's are the same. Ours is a 1982 Cherubini 36. Even more room in the newer models, I imagine.

Attachment 101234

Ralph
Ralph -- Just out of curiosity, there seems to be a pretty uniformly positive consensus about the Hunter "Cherubini" models. While reviews on other models are obviously mixed, the Cherubini seems to enjoy a consistently good rep. Kinda like the Bene "First" models vs. some of the newer ones. Any ideas on this? Might be helpful to the OP who is obviously drawn to considering the brand.
__________________

__________________
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hunter

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comments on Hunter 42 passage, Hunter 45, hunter 45 cc, hunter 49 and 50 chucklet321 Monohull Sailboats 3 07-10-2012 14:19
Is Age a Factor in the Seaworthiness of a Glass Hull ? Gone2long Construction, Maintenance & Refit 31 09-08-2011 12:08
Effect of Draft on Seaworthiness ViribusUnitis Powered Boats 29 03-02-2011 22:38
CSY Shoal Keel Offshore Seaworthiness Bev & Bill General Sailing Forum 18 15-02-2005 06:57
Design Copnsiderations for Seaworthiness GordMay Multihull Sailboats 1 25-01-2005 06:16



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:26.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.