Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 07:53   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: How Much Weight Can I Load My Freaking Boat Up With?!??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Two tons of gear low in a Contessa 26 is typical. Two tons in a Hunter of the same size is going to be radical.
The smallest keelboat Hunter currently builds is the 27e. The "e" stands for electric. It is available with three different Elco inboard electric motors, either 3, 6, or 10 hp (shaft.) You can also order one with the energy package option that includes solar and wind generation.

Only a troglodyte would want to weigh down such a delightful boat. Comparing it to a Contessa 26 is a bit naive. But since the comparison was initiated previously, the fact is that the Contessa 26 displaces 5,400 lbs while the Hunter 27e displaces 7,600 lbs, 2,000 of which is in ballast. This being the case, it's logical to assume that the Hunter will handle weight better than the Contessa ever could, at least as far as being settled down on its waterline is concerned

To be fair, the Contessa was first built in 1966, but was a remake of a much older design from the wooden boat era. At the very best, it represents pre-WWII technology. It's going to be an extremely slow boat no matter how much weight it carries. Two tons, however, is going to be extreme. The weight of gear would be 74% of the total initial weight of the boat. I can't imagine an intelligent sailor thinking this was wise.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:24   #17
CF Adviser

Quote:
Two tons of gear low in a Contessa 26 is typical. Two tons in a Hunter of the same size is going to be radical.
Let's do some actual math to confirm (or refute) S/V Alchemy's wild speculation.

The waterline area (.67 x LWL x Beam) for the Contessa 26 is 60.3, and for the Hunter 27e is 184.92. Pounds per inch immersion (LWL Area x 5.333) for the Contessa rounds off to 322, while for the Hunter is 986. What this means is that two tons of "gear" will sink the Contessa 12.42 inches. More than a foot! The same two tons of cargo will sink the Hunter JUST A SMIDGEN OVER FOUR INCHES!! (4.05').

WTF? The same amount of weight sinks a Contessa 26 three times more than the smallest keelboat Hunter makes?

Was S/V Alchemy merely Hunter bashing? Again? Or is he just not up to speed on boating physics? A guy's got to wonder.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:50   #18
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOMN View Post
I have A TON of gear I want to put in her, but I'm not sure if she can take everything. Is "watch the waterline" enough of a accurate measurement, is there a general estimate you could give? Like 2000 pounds?
Let's do the math for the OP, just to keep him from overuse of the banghead smilie.

The Cape Dory 26D comes out with a LWL area of 103. That's fairly tiny for a cruising boat. This means that you'll sink one inch on your waterline for every 550 pounds of weight, including water, fuel, et cetera. Include your own weight as part of the cargo

"Watch the waterline" is not in any way an accurate measurement for a boat that size. There's actual math. Put your music studio on a scale, and you'll be able to compute exactly how much sailing performance (not to mention safety) you'll forfeit.

2,000 pounds will sink your boat 3.64 inches on its water line. For a boat with only 304 square feet of sail area, you'll be lucky ever to ever see four knots speed through the water at that point, more likely to see half of that most of the time. And you're not going to want to motorsail much with that built-in motor well. What do you have, a 15hp outboard? Yikes.

Is the Cape Dory 26D a good boat to cruise at liveaboard weight with full tanks with an onboard music studio added?

No.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:52   #19
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

I can concur that the contessa is a sinker on a load, having owned and overloaded it myself (a great mistake). The only offset was that it locked into a track real well from the extra ballast.

Hence, my advise for anyone is to consider a larger 30+ if you are thinking of carrying quite a bit.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:50   #20

Boat: Outbound 44

[QUOTE=Bash;1253983...
2,000 pounds will sink your boat 3.64 inches on its water line. For a boat with only 304 square feet of sail area, you'll be lucky ever to ever see four knots speed through the water at that point, more likely to see half of that most of the time. And you're not going to want to motorsail much with that built-in motor well. What do you have, a 15hp outboard? Yikes.

Is the Cape Dory 26D a good boat to cruise at liveaboard weight with full tanks with an onboard music studio added?

No.[/QUOTE]
The boat rates something like PHRF 250. It isn't ever going to be fast. The OP wanted to know how much he can stick on the boat he has. Maxing out at 3 or 4 inch waterline drop is probably a reasonable weight for where he says he's going. It's not for me, and if I was on the boat I'd try real hard to take less weight.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:02   #21

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: How Much Weight Can I Load My Freaking Boat Up With?!??!!

Good stuff. Thanks for the math lessons, gents.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:39   #22

Boat: CD 26D.

Quote:
In related queries, how long is a length of rope?

The only rules of thumb are "keep weight out of the ends" and "stow low if you want to go". I personally would add "make sure all gear is well-secured, meaning it won't drop on your head when, not if, the boat rolls".
Thanks for the cold truth.

I might be able to swing this at under 1250.

I'm going to take probably a half load of freshwater, including external waterbottles. (NO THANK YOU FLUORIDE CHLORINE TAP WATER!!)

Got around 300lb ground tackle stuffz.

200lbs for me.

50lb fridge, maybe what, 100 for food + pots and pans?

250 for sails, rigging backups, tools.

500 for water and fuel?

I'm going to be towing the dinghy across the Pacific. SHE'S UNSINKABLE, so that will help.

The music stuff is marginal. We're talking a laptop, sub, some marine speakers, midi controller, the works. Possibly ~30 pounds or so, FASTENED TO THE TABLE!!!

Uhh, not sure what else would be taking up weight here. Is 1500 a relatively safe number with decent sail performance? I'm not racing, but I don't want a boarding wave to take me out in 3 seconds, either.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:48   #23

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Towing in flat water is not a good long term idea. Towing across the Pacific is just plain crazy talk. Load that unsinkable boat with water then try to pull it. The loads and chafe will be unmanageable.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 13:31   #24

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411 View Post
Towing in flat water is not a good long term idea. Towing across the Pacific is just plain crazy talk. Load that unsinkable boat with water then try to pull it. The loads and chafe will be unmanageable.
Yep, +1
Old 06-06-2013, 13:38   #25

Boat: CD 26D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411 View Post
Yup, synchronistically I just read a bit about in a 40knot gale, the seas rose and the towed dinghy ended up crashing into the transom (read: windvane), and going forcibly under and breaking off the rudder, leaving the guy stranded.

Looks like I just added another 200lb to the load.

Oh, Bauer 10, how I love you.

<3~~~~
Old 06-06-2013, 13:54   #26

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling
Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA
Note that some of the weight has already been designed into the boat. The designer would expect tanks to be full and there to be ground tackle. The problem is the extra stuff that you need/want. We had a friend who went cruising years ago with wife and two kids on an Ericson 29. I am sure that the designer did not allow for 300' of chain.

Try not to overload and you should be OK.
And what makes you so sure of that?

Honestly.....my first season on our e28+ was ROUGH! At unloaded displacement (approx 7200#) the boat bobbed like a cork in the chop of the Chessy. We really only weekend on her right now....so even with a family of 4 we really don't have much 'gear' on board. So after some research I added 1000# of "gear" below the waterline (spread out equally, of course) to see what effect it would have. Turns out, my boat was designed with stowage in mind and now she sails much better. And the waterline might have sunk 1/2 inch at the most....

Like others have said....while there is a "magic number" keeping the havier gear low and lighter gear high is probably a more important concept to understand. And after you have it loaded the way you think you want it....take it out and get a feel for how it handles a couple times and adjust as needed.
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 13:58   #27

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOMN View Post
You guys are all so helpful. Quite frankly I'm overwhelmed.

Such a great community we have going here.

Thanks a ton.

I do wish for sailing performance, but I'm taking her to the freakin' South Pacific so I'm gonna need a lot of water, food, fuel, spare sails, tools, equipment, and a bajillion other things. :F

I'm just trying to figure out what that is *_*!
I am confused about what boat you have. I know there is a CAPE DORY 25D and a CAPE DORY 26 but I am not aware of the Cape Dory 26D
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 14:19   #28

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

That is a cool dinghy. What's the weight capacity of that?
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 15:15   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Suhaili at start of race,
Attached Images

hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 15:20   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Then light
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	62015  
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote