Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2016, 15:35   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Gulfstar 50 Delamination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woko View Post
HI. We have just finished looking at a Gulf Star 50 in Wellington, NZ which appears to have the same issues. Whereabouts was the boat you looked at & what was the name of it? Did you get a survey done on the boat or were the issues quite obvious?
I'm not the buyer or seller, but the boat sits on the hard next to our 33'er.

This boat is in Delaware, USA. Name is Cielo Es.

I happened by as the survey was going on. I casually looked at the boat and noted some water leaking from the keel, but didn't think much of it. I don't think you would have seen the extent of the issues doing a casual walk around. I do believe the owner disclosed some of the problem, because there were photos of prior work, under the new bottom job. Must have come from the owner.

As far as I know the deal fell through.

Ann, I thought the boat had very nice lines and looked them up. I don't recall seeing any Negative review concerning the build.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 16:19   #17
Marine Service Provider

A friend bought one many years ago knowing full well of the hull delamination problems. He is a PhD physicist/engineer who is a real mr Fixit. He stripped down many layers of glass and rebuilt the boat. He then lived aboard and cruised extensively and she is still in nice shape having gone from Maryland to Florida yet again this fall. I guess as others have suggested that it depends on the purchase price and how much you are willing to do. Or you can buy a new 50' boat for....oh, I don't know...a million or more???
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 07:29   #18

Hello all,
I'm a new member & it's my first time posting. I'm definitely a greenhorn to Crusiers Forum & to sailing so please be gentle

First off I want to say I'm not pointing any fingers I'm just trying to learn as much as I can about the ins & outs of buying a used sail boat because hopefully that is what I'll be doing in the near future. Also I expect I'll be using the services of a surveyor & that's why I'm posting.

It seems that the boat this thread was started about, S/V Cielo es, is currently up for auction on Ebay. My question is should I or should I not expect a standard survey to point out delamination like this even when it has been patched & isn't visible to an untrained eye like myself?

James
MentallyAdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 08:14   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Until someone with a better background than me replies....I have steel boats so I don't have fg experience.

That said this boat sat next to mine in the yard and I've been in it. Even to my untrained eye I saw some water draining from the hull, surely a sign of delamination. I believe the Owner came clean about previous issues and even provided photos. So I don't know if the surveyor did or did not catch it on his own.

The boat has other issues. Mood, needs desiring,it's of mechanicals need replacement, no sails, etc. Still it's a heavy built and nice, very pretty boat. Could be worth a lot of sweat equity.
Old 16-09-2016, 08:18   #20

Boat: Gulfstar 50

That repair was made some time ago a survey should show if ther is any issues with the boat at this time. I looked at the boat on eBay and it looks pretty good in the pics and its around 25k right now with what looks like 3-4 legit people bidding however odds are could be bought very cheap. Now if you were serious about it I would try to get a survey asap before the end of the auction.
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 09:29   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It's physically located at Delaware City Marina right next to the road.

DELAWARE CITY MARINA - WELCOME!

She obviously has had a recent survey, as noted above. That may be available, or perhaps "local knowledge" would assist you in locating the last surveyor. Perhaps he can get permission to sell you a copy? Do t know it that's legal or ethical.
Old 16-09-2016, 10:25   #22

Thanks guys for your responses.
A July 1st 2016 survey is included in the current ebay auction info.
It says the hull is good. That's why I'm asking the question. If I have a standard survey done on a boat & it says the hull is good, do I need to do something else to insure it doesn't have unseen delamination?

thanks,
James
Old 16-09-2016, 10:53   #23

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 41

I have seen this boat while walking by the marina. From the outside it looks like a hot mess. It has been under a tree for almost a year. This is a money pit. Beware.
Twidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 11:44   #24
Marine Service Provider

I have heard that there have been a few GS50 Aux that have had delamination issues on the keel. It is hard to pin down the actual boat name to try to get verification.

The math of older boats is interesting. Pretty much no matter what barring full keel delamination you could take this boat and pour in another $75,000 to $100,000 and come away with a very nice big boat cruiser - Total cost after the refit $100k to $125K.

Of course you do need to put in your time and work it over a few years....

A boat like this is not something to take on on a shoestring - simply because you will run out of money before you get the needed safety/function items taken care of.

Or you can plunk down the $100k on a much newer (and perhaps smaller) boat and be cruising with a $20k refit. More or less the same price.

Knowing your goals and style are important.

A GS50 has the potential to be a world cruiser but don't skimp.

If I recall they are listed in:

The Best Used Boat Notebook: From the Pages of Sailing Mazine, a New Collection of Detailed Reviews of 40 Used Boats plus a Look at 10 Great Used Boats to Sail Around the World Paperback – November 30, 2007
by John Kretschmer (Author)

Oh, I should add that I am about 75% into my refit and have spend about $70 on my GS50 sloop.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 12:12   #25

Hi Maveric & evm1024,
Thanks for your input.
When you guys bought your Gulfstars did you have any delamination problems?

James
Old 16-09-2016, 12:41   #26

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

I read the survey. Looks like a insurance survey more then a comprehensive pre-purchase survey. Honestly if your interested in the boat you would be better off bringing some one well versed in fiberglass hulls to take a look with you before you dive in. Not enough info in the report to go by.
Old 16-09-2016, 12:59   #27
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentallyAdrift View Post
Hi Maveric & evm1024,
Thanks for your input.
When you guys bought your Gulfstars did you have any delamination problems?

James
None on my boat. I have hull #3 and it did have a small number of dime or less sized blisters that were drilled and filled by a prior owner.

They are "small" for a 50-footer, 13'8" beam and 6' draft. Perhaps 58' air draft with the VHF antenna.

They are comfy and "easy" to sail. I've singled handed mine out and about.

I also have the 2 cabin version with a huge engine room.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 13:24   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

IIRC this is the 2 cabin version.

Looked to me like it once sported a mizzen. You can see where it once was. My guess is the mizzen was removed and a longer boom installed. The current boom would hit the mizzen.

Twidget. You keep your boat there?
Old 20-09-2016, 08:21   #29

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Twidget. You keep your boat there?
Nope, My boat is at Havre de Grace MD. I live in Delaware City.
Twidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 09:42   #30

Boat: Fleming 55

We had hull number 1. Named it Cygnus. Bought it in 1997 for 85k put in about 40k. Cruised from San Fran to New Zealand from 97 to 2000. Ketch rigged, 2 cabin, heavy and reliable. We had our two kids aboard who were 8 and 11 when we left. This boat does NOT go to weather well, but sailing downwind in the trades we used the jib and mizzen all the time. Sold it in NZ for 115k. Flew home. Great boat, great trip.

Beth and would highly recommend this boat, provided you understand its limitations to weather. As to the survey it's like buying insurance how much risk are you either comfortable with or can you afford. Even with a survey, if you absolutely can't take the potential hit, stay away. Go smaller or newer.

Above all, just go!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
delamination, gulfstar