Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2021, 02:00   #1

German Made Sailboats with Raised Deck Saloon Designed for Long Distance Cruising

Hi all!

I'm currently looking at purchasing a Sirius 40 DS. It looks like the perfect sailboat for me but wondering if there are better options out there. I'm only interested in German made sailboats with a raised deck salon, which are approximately 40 to 60 ft in length. The most important things for me are seaworthiness, ease of handling, safety, and stability.

I'm only interested in blue-water-cruisers (similar to the Sirius 40 DS) that are meant for offshore sailing/have most of necessary equipment for bluewater sailing (such as multiple energy sources, water maker, protected cockpit, self-tacking jib, autopilot, etc...), have many safety features (especially for rough seas), efficient use of space, suitable for single-handed sailing, comfort features while on passage and for living on board, onboard and deck stowage, and made with the highest quality materials.

I really like the large windows on the Sirius 40 DS, especially in the center cabin. Any suggestions that fit the above requirements besides Sirius?
sailingpacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 02:37   #2

Re: German Made Sailboats with Raised Deck Saloon Designed for Long Distance Cruising

Get the Sirius 40DS, if you can grab a build-slot. Last time I looked into it, the waiting list was quite long.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 03:25   #3

Re: German Made Sailboats with Raised Deck Saloon Designed for Long Distance Cruising

Also, I like the Amels but I prefer the deck saloon setup of Sirius boats.
sailingpacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 13:00   #4

Boat: ISLAND PACKET SP CRUISER

By limiting your choice to German boats you have identified - AFAIK- the only option.

They are fine vessels, well built and superbly finished but have a long build time after order and are VERY expensive. Very few available S/H.

I believe you should consider other makes, not limit your choice.

Our choice, the Island Packet SP Cruiser will give you most of what you specify with well chosen aftermarket add ons. Few boats offer your spec. as standard.
rotrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 13:22   #5

Boat: Regina 43

Why just German boats? Why not consider Danish Nordship, Swedish Regina or CRyachts, Finnish Degerö or nauticat. I have a Regina 43 myself and chose it over a Sirius 35 ds. I love Sirius yachts, but Reginas are better sailboats.
Na Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 13:24   #6

Boat: Colegate 26

Have you looked at the current crop of Moodys ??

https://www.hanseyachtsag.com/moody/us/

I have no personal experience with either brand, just aware of their existence.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 16:02   #7

Boat: CL14 #1179

It seems like money is no object, check out the Kraken 50.
Wilyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 04:33   #8
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Sirius is a lively boat. One right beside me.

The other make that’s similar is Sunbeam
Old 23-10-2021, 04:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingpacific
The most important things for me are seaworthiness, ease of handling, safety, and stability.

I'm only interested in bluewater-cruisers (similar to the Sirius 40 DS) that are meant for offshore sailing/have most of necessary equipment for bluewater sailing (such as multiple energy sources, water maker, protected cockpit, self-tacking jib, autopilot, etc...), have many safety features (especially for rough seas), efficient use of space, suitable for single-handed sailing, comfort features while on passage and for living on board, onboard and deck stowage, and made with the highest quality materials.

I really like the large windows on the Sirius 40 DS, especially in the center cabin.
Insisting on bluewater boats, meant for offshore sailing and then choosing a brand with large windows is contradictory.

Large windows are specifically *not* safe for offshore sailing. See report below for more detailled info.

Maritime New Zealand's Report into the Loss of Yacht Essence
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-a-253634.html

Perhaps a bit more homework on safety elements in offshore yachts and not limiting yourself to German boats.

For instance, have a look at Malos (Sweden):

Malo Yachts
https://www.maloyachts.se

Fair winds,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 05:13   #10
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Sirius is a lively boat. One right beside me.

“ lovely “
Old 23-10-2021, 05:14   #11
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Insisting on bluewater boats, meant for offshore sailing and then choosing a brand with large windows is contradictory.

Large windows are specifically *not* safe for offshore sailing. See report below for more detailled info.

Perhaps a bit more homework on safety elements in offshore yachts and not limiting yourself to German boats.

Malo Yachts

Fair winds,
LittleWing77

The windows on a Bavaria ocean are actually quite small

It’s entirely wrong to transfer one boats experience to another of a different type

Malo changed their boat to reflect a more modern format too.
Old 23-10-2021, 05:17   #12
Nearly an old salt

German Made Sailboats with Raised Deck Saloon Designed for Long Distance Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post

Malo Yachts

Fair winds,
LittleWing77

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1634991410.424735.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	247223

Look at that spade rudder , that will never do . And horrors a bolt on keel omg it will sink at the harbour entrance
Old 23-10-2021, 05:22   #13

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Boatbuilders are a worldwide community and solid, seaworthy yachts are built in many countries, not just one.
Custom design gives you the option of owning exactly what you think is perfect. There is however, no perfect design, nor material, nor method of construction.
Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark and his manatee crew of professional boatbuilders.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 06:19   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
While the Sunbeam from Schöchl are lovely boats - they fall short of being German. They're from Austria. No clue why the original poster is so hung up on having a Teutonic boat and doesn't look at all offerings which meet his design-wishes and are available at his location.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 07:12   #15

Boat: Regina 43

The pilot house windows on my boat are double glazed armoured glass set in massive one piece stainless frames. I don't know how Sirus do it, but short of something sharp and heavy breaking loose and crashing into them full force, I just can't imagine them catastrophically failing (and I've seen force 10 conditions in the North Atlantic). There are a lot of deck saloon yachts (Oysters and the like), sailing all the worlds oceans in all sorts of weather and one hardly ever hears of saloon windows failing. So the chance of window failure on a properly set up pilothouse yacht like and Regina or a Sirius is vanishingly small. Now add to that of the considerable safety advantage that these vessels offer in that they can be piloted from below during night passages or when the going gets rough (mine can even be helmed from below) and I know which is the safer design.
Na Mara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, sailboat, sail, ais, deck, saloon, boat