Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 03:54   #691

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child
Re: Ferro Cement Hulls ?

So...CSY Man what is the story here? Looks like some significant damage to me, not normal wear and tear! Please do enlighten us! How did this happen, is it a boat?
Old 04-12-2011, 04:11   #692
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
So...CSY Man what is the story here? Looks like some significant damage to me, not normal wear and tear! Please do enlighten us! How did this happen, is it a boat?
Managed to get to a nearby dock and had emergency repairs done to keep it from sinking.
Limped to another island with a boat yard to be hauled and repaired.
The yard refused to haul it, they were afraid it would break in the lift.
Engine and tanks were removed and the boat towed into deep water and scuttled..

Got a few more pics, will try to upload.

Don't hate ferro boats, just observing and posting pics.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:17   #693

Old 04-12-2011, 04:18   #694

Old 04-12-2011, 04:47   #695

Same boat as she left Florida for the Bahamas.
(Hard not to fall in love with a beauty like this:-)

Old 04-12-2011, 06:04   #696

From the looks of the before picture, I'd say this boat had some serious issues before she ever left the dock.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:11   #697

Quote:
From the looks of the before picture, I'd say this boat had some serious issues before she ever left the dock.
Yup....

The patches on the starboard side is hurricane damage from "Wilma"
The boat was pushed into the dock pilings and they rubbed a hole in the concrete. (Wood pilings)

Also other issues, but the boat made it to the Bahamas to meet the new owner / buyer.
He then ran into the piling holding a marker.
More damage than should be expected, but the boat was probably not built very well..

All of the above pictures were taken within a week or so.

This picture are before the 2005 hurrican Wilma.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:48   #698

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

WTF,that boat has absolutly no mesh over the stringers, please dont be mislead into believing that this is how a ferro boat is built, it is not. That the boat has made it this far is impressive. Unfortunatly this shows how difficult it can be to know whats inside the skin. Back when i built my boat i kept photos showing the armature and also had it surveyed before plastering and used the world best plastering team for that part of the project as did many builders.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 17:16   #699

Boat: Careel 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
WTF,that boat has absolutly no mesh over the stringers, please dont be mislead into believing that this is how a ferro boat is built, it is not. That the boat has made it this far is impressive. Unfortunatly this shows how difficult it can be to know whats inside the skin. Back when i built my boat i kept photos showing the armature and also had it surveyed before plastering and used the world best plastering team for that part of the project as did many builders.
Steve.
Ditto Steve, that also explains how the boat was pushed into a dock pilings and the wood piling was able to rub a hole in the cement coating, I guess the builder did not use the proper plaster mix.
I too wonder how the boat made it to the Bahamas Was it piggy-backed or did it make-it under it's own steam
Any boat built from any material would have suffered the same fate if the builder had taken the “we don't need that so I'll leave it out” attitude in the building process.
There's a 45' FC yacht here in Geelong that has had a bleeding great hole punched in her stern, it happened when a large steel trawler rammed into her stern and took-out a whole quarter section. The owner got the yacht to shore and now with the yacht on the hard, the owner's doing repairs on the damaged stern section. I believe the damaged Aussie FC yacht was built by the owner back in the 70's. I'll try to get down and get a few pictures of the damaged FC yacht and a few other, not damaged, FC yachts that we have around here, one of which I know the owner/builder of, he and his wife have sailed their 38' FC yacht around the world a few times since they built her back in 1964.
There's a bit involved in buying ANY boat and it's something a buyer NEEDS to get right BEFORE parting with their money...Never mind going to sea.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, If anyone cares to visit the FC site they can see pictures of a properly built FC yacht that came to a sad end on a reef, she's the sloop 'Katrea'. The pics give a good example of the boats inherent strength by the limited damage sustained after hurricane damage and laying on a reef for 3 years The pictures demonstrate just how a FC boat should be built. There is a right way and a wrong way, the Canadian FC boat was built by an armchair expert boat designer/builder

Bill
Australia
Old 04-12-2011, 20:33   #700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachts66 View Post
No, it's not a boat. It's a pic of damage to something made of reinforced concrete. It's simply not how ferro boats are constructed. Note there are close up and wide shots but nothing else to match them.

CSY man has been trolling these pics around every website wherever there's a mention of ferro boats for years now. Must be how he gets his kicks; just move on with your worthy discussions and ignore him.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:17   #701

Quote:
No, it's not a boat. It's a pic of damage to something made of reinforced concrete. It's simply not how ferro boats are constructed. Note there are close up and wide shots but nothing else to match them.
Aye, look again: You can see a stancion on one of the pictures as well as part of the wooden railing.

If you don't think the upclose pictures are of the boat, then you are in denial or just dense.

Quote:
CSY man has been trolling these pics around every website wherever there's a mention of ferro boats for years now. Must be how he gets his kicks; just move on with your worthy discussions and ignore him.
Wrong again Sherlock, the accident happened in July 2008 and I have posted pics on this board a couple of times as they are unique and surely something can be learned here..How not do drive or build a boat.

If you belive the pics are fake and that I have ill intent by posting them, I recommend treatment for paranoia...
Old 05-12-2011, 03:38   #702

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
If you don't think the upclose pictures are of the boat, then you are in denial or just dense.

If you belive the pics are fake and that I have ill intent by posting them, I recommend treatment for paranoia...
Well, thanks for the free diagnosis. I'll guess then I'll be off getting a shrink appointment first thing tomorrow.

I know a bit about boats of ferro cement construction and that ain't one. If you say it is then clearly it's not built to any recognised specs.

The equivalent would be me posting a pic of a holed glass boat revealing it has marshmallow where the foam should be and saying that all you glass boat owners had better learn a lesson from this.

Get a life pal and give those pics and your campaign a rest.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:51   #703

Quote:
I know a bit about boats of ferro cement construction and that ain't one.
So what is it? A collapsed bridge?

Quote:
If you say it is then clearly it's not built to any recognised specs.
Did anybody claim it was..?

Quote:
The equivalent would be me posting a pic of a holed glass boat revealing it has marshmallow where the foam should be and saying that all you glass boat owners had better learn a lesson from this.
Such a picture would be most welcome and I doubt "glass boat owners" would be shooting the messanger if there was something to be learned.

Quote:
Get a life pal and give those pics and your campaign a rest.
No campaign and if you don't like those pictures Einstein, don't look at them...
Old 05-12-2011, 04:20   #704

To be honest I see both of your points. A pic of the damage that included more of the boat would certainly be helpful. What is shown does not appear to be a ferro-boat constructed to any standards I'm aware of. So, to me the argument becomes moot. Let's move on to something that the rest of us can learn from. Arguing over these pics does not fall in that category. My view anyway!

Regards,

Thomas
Old 05-12-2011, 05:27   #705

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

That is Not ferro cement construction, there is no mesh involved, if it is indeed part of the boat CSY man claims, and im inclined to think it is, based on the fact that the wood element in the picture appears to have been glass sheathed, you dont do that to a dock,then it is some amatures idea of CONCRETE construction, different thing.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ferro