Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 13:43   #676
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32
Re: Ferro Cement Hulls ?

Once it starts rusting inside the cement coating I don't think it could be stopped - only covered up until it begins to show again.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 13:58   #677

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child

Thought maybe the epoxy would cut off the oxygen which is needed for the steel to rust. So the only solution then is to jack hammer the cement away, replace/paint the rusting steel as necessary and re-cement?
Old 03-12-2011, 14:42   #678
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Trouble is you can't get to all the rusting steel, which is covered in cement. If it is just localized fine, but that would be doubtful on an older ferro boat.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 18:35   #679

Boat: Careel 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Here's the current object of my cheapskate ferro fantasies:

1976 Samson C-Deuce Double Headstay Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

55' LOA, 45 LWL, $14,900.

What could possibly go wrong?
Samson did design and build a great looking boat but with this Samson 45 the first problem I seen, the engine is way to small for a 20+ ton boat
Engines
Engine Brand: Nissan Chrysler
Engine(s) Total Power: 37 HP
Engine Model: M4.33
Propeller: 3 blade propeller
Cruising Speed: 4 mph @ 1500 RPM

Personally I would like a 100, or 125HP or main engine on this Samson but when I asked about the engine on this boat, some six months or more back, Samson/Hartley said...
Quote: Hi Bill, no you will need at least a 70hp for movement in a seaway.
regards
from the crew at Hartley's
End Quote:
I'm not sure just how much a new 100HP engine would cost but just that cost alone makes the Samson 45 not such a bargain

Bill
Australia
Old 03-12-2011, 18:45   #680
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant
Here's the current object of my cheapskate ferro fantasies:

1976 Samson C-Deuce Double Headstay Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

55' LOA, 45 LWL, $14,900.

What could possibly go wrong?
I wonder what "a few projects" means.

Nothing 50k or so can't solve I am sure...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 19:40   #681

Worse, did they leave enough space in the engine area for a larger engine and even worse, did they build the deck in a way that allows for a new engine to be installed easily or do you have to make major (i.e. difficult and expensive) modifications to the interior and deck just to pull the old engine out and put the new one in? Then if you notice fuel tankage would kinda be a joke for a 100hp engine, so is there room to add additional tankage? I can't help but wonder why the original builder ever put such a small engine in such a large boat in the first place? Makes not a lick of sense to me, what could they have been thinking?
Old 03-12-2011, 19:43   #682

Oh, I'd guess a new engine and gear will set you back $15,000 USD. Prop and new shaft another $1,000 or more unless you went with a nice feathering prop, then add $5,000 but is the propeller armature large enough to accommodate a larger prop and how difficult is it going to be to remove and replace the stuffing box and tube?
Old 04-12-2011, 01:24   #683

Boat: Ex liveaboard, now grounded.

Re: Samson C-Deuce in Mexico

Nissan M4-33 is 60 HP not 37

See blog of The Black Wind, in particular entry for November 2011.
The Black Wind: Welcome to the pages of the Black Wind...
steve ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:44   #684

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Trouble is you can't get to all the rusting steel, which is covered in cement. If it is just localized fine, but that would be doubtful on an older ferro boat.
If the steel amature is covered in cement it will not rust. If you are refering to the rust staining on the port/stb gunnels of the Samson 45 (This One In Mexico) Those rust stains would not bother me, it looks to me like the ends of the wire ties for holding the steel frame/netting together were not clipped-off close enough before the cement was applied, so small pieces of the tie wire were exposed and have rusted. I believe the rust staining could be cleaned-up by stripping the timber around the area, clipping of any exposed tie wire ends then covering/painting the area with a suitably good paint...Or a skiming of cement before painting.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:52   #685

Boat: Jeanneua 36

just to bring back the conversation to what a south seas 38 sails mlike,i sailed a leagthened one(42)for years,buetifull to sail,very deceiving with the sheets cracked,roomy and quiet in a seaway;keep the botem clean,easy maintenance.ones with galvinised water pipes should be looked at very closely(pipes rust out unless deisal has been poured inside(cup or too).if there are the odd rust run it isnt to hard to get rid of them.Sayers where allways well built and desighned,fast to.a lot of people dont realize a ferro cutter won the sydney hobart race:very red faced for some of the gun boats.
bigpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:27   #686

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve ripples View Post
Re: Samson C-Deuce in Mexico

Nissan M4-33 is 60 HP not 37

See blog of The Black Wind, in particular entry for November 2011.
The Black Wind: Welcome to the pages of the Black Wind...
I don't know who's right about this engine, the broker says it's 37HP, Steve says it's 60HP and another bloke on boatdiesels.com say the Nisan/Chrysler M4-33 is a 70 hp engine so...Your guess on the HP of the engine is as good as mine and I simply don't know
I don't know if this Ketch is The Black Wind, it looks like her but I do know from James blog, (James owns The Black Wind) that people are not permitted to work on their own boats at the yard where The Black Wind is berthed, so she would have to be moved to somewhere else.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:36   #687

It doesn't matter, the Broker told me the engine is toast and needs to be replaced!
Old 04-12-2011, 02:54   #688

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpuff View Post
just to bring back the conversation to what a south seas 38 sails mlike,i sailed a leagthened one(42)for years,buetifull to sail,very deceiving with the sheets cracked,roomy and quiet in a seaway;keep the botem clean,easy maintenance.ones with galvinised water pipes should be looked at very closely(pipes rust out unless deisal has been poured inside(cup or too).if there are the odd rust run it isnt to hard to get rid of them.Sayers where allways well built and desighned,fast to.a lot of people dont realize a ferro cutter won the sydney hobart race:very red faced for some of the gun boats.
I hear the South Seas sail well but perhaps you, as a owner of a South Seas, can tell me, how do you think a South Seas running on a 60hp Ford diesel would perform as a motor yacht, no mast, sails or rigging, would she be economical or not, or would a South Seas be better set-up as a motor/sailor by buying and installing mast, rigging and sails to be set-up on the boat?

Bill
Australia
Old 04-12-2011, 03:19   #689
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
If the steel amature is covered in cement it will not rust.
This one did

Old 04-12-2011, 03:44   #690

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
This one did

Yes mate, guess we have all seen the picture before but that picture does not look like any matrix I've ever seen for any properly built FC boat.

I too can get a few pictures of rusting metal and busted concrete but it would not be the steel, netting and cement from a FC boat, it would be shots of a partly demolished concrete building, concrete slab or concrete jetty...Still, no-one is trying to convert you to FC boats, most people on this thread, and other FC threads, just like FC boats
Each to his/her own I say...Whatever floats yer boat

Bill
Australia

Tags
ferro