Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2016, 02:56   #1

Experience on Canyon 43 Ted Brewer design? review?

Hello all!
We are looking at purchasing a steel hulled Canyon 43, cutter rigged, Ted Brewer design. There is very limited info online and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience on these boats and could talk about how they sail, how they are as live-a-boards, and any other info you care to share. Any info will be appreciated!
Thank you, and happy sailing!
strongmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:03   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Experience on Canyon 43 Ted Brewer design? review?

Canyon 43 ➥ Ted Brewer Yacht Design

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:18   #3

Thank you but that is actually the only site that I have found so far. If anyone has any personal experience I would be grateful to hear about it.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:08   #4

Boat: Valiant 40

Toodleoo on this board owns a Canyon 43 but I have not seen him around for awhile. He did like his boat.

I've always liked Ted's designs. They have a MASSIVE amount of usable interior space compared to most other boats. He was a bit of a genius at squeezing every last cubic foot out of a boat.

The Canyon 43 is similar to many of his other designs. No speedster, but super seaworthy and a great livable cruising platform.

You might want to research Canyon Industries instead of the boat model itself, which will give you some insight to build quality.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:17   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Toodleoo on this board owns a Canyon 43 but I have not seen him around for awhile...
Wow - great memory!
toodleoo’s last CF activity was a year ago, on 19-12-2015 ➥ Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: toodleoo

Old 12-12-2016, 09:09   #6

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

We considered Brewer's Alaska and other similar circa 12-metre boats from his board. Basically, if you want to cruise offshore, you can't go wrong with Ted Brewer as a designer of comfortable, slightly conservative boats.

You can, however, go very wrong with the techniques used to construct them. Steel constructed well from Day One and maintained is good for a century. Poor construction will doom it in ten years. Take a metal boat surveyor if you find one you like.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:16   #7

Brewer designs are good. Your concern should be finding out who built it and if THEY are/were any good.
If there is still a contact for Ted's office, they might very well know about the boat, they usually do.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:15   #8

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

I own a Brewer, Pacific 43 in fiberglass which shares many common elements to the Canyon. I like that the Canyon 43 has the larger cut away keel aft, less wetted surface and less likely for the bow to be blown off the wind, with a beam wind, when backing out of a slip. I covet that pilot house on the Canyon even with our fully enclosed cockpit.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:18   #9

Boat: Ted Brewer, Bulldog 30' built in aluminum

After reading your post, I sent Ted a few photos of my TB design: Bulldog.
Thought he might enjoy seeing all the work done by Sinclair at Sailors Exchange did for 15 years in the aluminum version.
I can't imagine a better material for boat building myself, after a lifelong avocation to wood working, including building a 24' sloop from the keel up.
Of course, steel done meticulously from day one has many proponents. As with any boat building material, the devil is in the details. I never leave the boat unattended in the water for any length of time. Zinc testing was done with the help of Dylan Bailey, expert in the area of metal boat surveying.
Just thought I'd chime in on the Brewer design. You can check out my boat via the photo files.
kmcshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:33   #10

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

For what it is worth. Have 30 yo Brewer Kingsland 43 in Steel. Very roomy VERY stable at sea. Never have felt threatened by whatever the ocean had to give. Lots of storage. Beware of steel being under powered. Mine had 40 hp at 55,000 lbs at best a true auxiliary. Wouldn't move at much more than 4 kts. Now with a 110 Yanmar I can power at 7-8+. Russ
Old 14-12-2016, 07:50   #11

Thank you all for the responses! Very helpful. And Russ, if you want to sell that boat in the next year, look me up!
Old 28-12-2016, 19:35   #12

I was the third owner of the first Canyon 43 built by Canyon Industries in WA. She was (is) a beautiful boat with an exceptional fitout and accommodation. The pilot house is roomy and comfortable and a boon in inclement weather. Easy to sail, I did many miles single handed, tho an autopilot is essential. Original installation was a Robertson that eventually started sending me in circles. Fitted with a marinised Isuzu engine that was somewhat underpowered, but still going strong when I sold the boat in 2012. The only design flaw was in the fitting of aluminum water tanks, tho these had been changed to S/S when I bought the boat. You can find Reliant in her current state here www.crosssailing.com
darer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2020, 12:38   #13

Hi there
I just purchased reliant from a salvage company.
I’d love to know all about her If you’re still on this forum
Larryheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 11:16   #14

Boat: Ted Brewer designed Canyon 43'

Hello LarryHeb,
First I cannot help you with your Canyon 43. Do you know which hull you have? Possibly #1. As I know 2 were manufactured at the Canyon in Washington, north of Seattle.
I can let you know I have purchased the Ted Brewer hull #2 built by Canyon Industry's. Like most everyone 2020 did not work out for our planned retrofit. But we never give up.
Hope all is well, Jay
HJWeston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 13:10   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, darer, Larryheb, and Jay.

Tags
enc