Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 05:55   #31

Re: Douglas 32

The Douglas 32 is without a doubt one of the frontrunners in this size if you are considering "bluewater" sailing. It is tough, seaworthy and a pleasure to sail. I have but one complaint. In my case it is very difficult to access "tiller flats"....that is the aft part of the boat behind the engine and transmission. there is an access in the starboard cockpit locker but it is too small for me to get to the steering and tranny linkage. I am average size..5'10" and 175 lbs.
I am considering opening up an access hatch in the cockpit but have always been nervous about cutting big holes in boats. But, this may come to pass as I think about the reconstruction and can see a viable way of doing it and maintaining the integrity and cosmetics of it all. All ideas, pictures and explanations would be well received and appreciated.....Thanks......db
Shakinbake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:47   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakinbake View Post
The Douglas 32 is without a doubt one of the frontrunners in this size if you are considering "bluewater" sailing. It is tough, seaworthy and a pleasure to sail. I have but one complaint. In my case it is very difficult to access "tiller flats"....that is the aft part of the boat behind the engine and transmission. there is an access in the starboard cockpit locker but it is too small for me to get to the steering and tranny linkage. I am average size..5'10" and 175 lbs.
I am considering opening up an access hatch in the cockpit but have always been nervous about cutting big holes in boats. But, this may come to pass as I think about the reconstruction and can see a viable way of doing it and maintaining the integrity and cosmetics of it all. All ideas, pictures and explanations would be well received and appreciated.....Thanks......db
I have an aluminum plate with a rubber seal that allows one to work on the rear section,I will look at the recepts I have and find out who makes this port and let you know..good luck
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:50   #33

[QUOTE=I have but one complaint. In my case it is very difficult to access "tiller flats"....that is the aft part of the boat behind the engine and transmission. there is an access in the starboard cockpit locker but it is too small for me to get to the steering and tranny linkage. I am average size..5'10" and 175 lbs.
[/QUOTE]

My brother had an Alberg 30, and he put a hatch in the cockpit sole, using standard and cheap aluminum plate (with ridges built in - good non skid, you don't want the smooth stuff), cut to fit, rounded corners, and I think through bolts. Of course the core had to be sealed. I think he used an oven door gasket, as do the Pardey's for their cockpit hatch. The cost was very low. I'm sure there are commercial hatches that would fit as well.

On my friends D32, I can get back there, if we empty the locker first. But I'm only 5'9" and 145 lbs. Laying down (more or less) on cushions, I can access the quadrant and anything else. I would not want to stay there for more than 20 minutes.
brad torrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 03:17   #34

Boat: Douglas 31

1976 Douglas 31 s/v Castehana getting a total rebuild for a trans Atlantic where it will be based out the Azores.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture vatious 057.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	426.6 KB
ID:	70360   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture vatious 042.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	432.0 KB
ID:	70361  

valunord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 06:01   #35
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by valunord View Post
1976 Douglas 31 s/v Castehana getting a total rebuild for a trans Atlantic where it will be based out the Azores.
Was this a factory built boat?You will be looking good when you set sail with this beauty..good luck fair winds..
Old 14-11-2013, 08:51   #36

Thanks very much for that.....It sure likes like that is the plan. Just have to get into some rum to create enough nerve to cut such a big hole...LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad torrence View Post
My brother had an Alberg 30, and he put a hatch in the cockpit sole, using standard and cheap aluminum plate (with ridges built in - good non skid, you don't want the smooth stuff), cut to fit, rounded corners, and I think through bolts. Of course the core had to be sealed. I think he used an oven door gasket, as do the Pardey's for their cockpit hatch. The cost was very low. I'm sure there are commercial hatches that would fit as well.

On my friends D32, I can get back there, if we empty the locker first. But I'm only 5'9" and 145 lbs. Laying down (more or less) on cushions, I can access the quadrant and anything else. I would not want to stay there for more than 20 minutes.
Old 14-11-2013, 09:23   #37
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Thanks very much for that.....It sure likes like that is the plan. Just have to get into some rum to create enough nerve to cut such a big hole...LOL.
My cockpit sole needs to be "re-enforced" because of one of these "inspection holes" as the end grain became saturated over time...
Old 14-11-2013, 18:14   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Was this a factory built boat?You will be looking good when you set sail with this beauty..good luck fair winds..
Hull and deck only was factory built with extra thickened hull as owners son told me.
Old 24-11-2013, 15:27   #39

I have two questions for the group...

How the heck do you guys access the lazarette? I need to get back there, to the transom, for a couple of reasons, and I just can't figure out how anyone other than a 125lb kid ever got back there. That's a small hatch! In an earlier post I repiled to a guy about the side access, but never thought about access to the far aft section (Tiller flats). NOW I know what he was talking about.

Second, we have water entering where the rudder shaft goes through the hull. I am no expert, and am wondering what is the connection? I see no fiberglass rudder tube, and see no stuffing box as I am familiar with. There is just a packing nut, and bronze threads that seem to emerge from the hull itself.

Any help on these two points would be very much appreciated!!
brad torrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 16:11   #40
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad torrence View Post
I have two questions for the group...

How the heck do you guys access the lazarette? I need to get back there, to the transom, for a couple of reasons, and I just can't figure out how anyone other than a 125lb kid ever got back there. That's a small hatch! In an earlier post I repiled to a guy about the side access, but never thought about access to the far aft section (Tiller flats). NOW I know what he was talking about.

Second, we have water entering where the rudder shaft goes through the hull. I am no expert, and am wondering what is the connection? I see no fiberglass rudder tube, and see no stuffing box as I am familiar with. There is just a packing nut, and bronze threads that seem to emerge from the hull itself.

Any help on these two points would be very much appreciated!!
I weigh approx 185 lb and I remove the cooler from the lazarette and step into it, put my feet to the left or right as I lower myself down into the small opeaning,easy as pie(not)but once thereit is easy to move around,I can even exit out thru the starboard locker from the lazerette..i have a stuffing box so I cant help with that part ,good luck..
Old 24-11-2013, 16:26   #41

I am intending to put a cockpit sole hatch of some kind that will allow me to get to the stuffing box and tranny and quadrant etc;..Mine is a '74 by Command Yachts and has the "way too small" access hatch in the starboard locker. Not sure about your stuffing box as you describe it
Old 24-11-2013, 19:39   #42
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I am intending to put a cockpit sole hatch of some kind that will allow me to get to the stuffing box and tranny and quadrant etc;..Mine is a '74 by Command Yachts and has the "way too small" access hatch in the starboard locker. Not sure about your stuffing box as you describe it
Mine is a 74 also and has a wooden access hatch in the SB locker about 24" x 12" and wedge shaped(?) if I open and then stand in it I can get down in it until I am laying, facing the "business parts" and have no problem getting to everything, Im about 5'10(5.9 3/4!) so im not very large and I am fairly limber..If you are much larger than I am i can see why it may be problematic and it that case it may be best to train a small monkey to do required work in this area..ha ha.. good luck
Old 25-11-2013, 09:30   #43

We are similar size but being somewhat claustrophobic I need more "wiggle" room .... your hatch sounds the same as mine...difficult and uncomfortable for me. Thanks for your reply.
Old 25-11-2013, 17:43   #44
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
We are similar size but being somewhat claustrophobic I need more "wiggle" room .... your hatch sounds the same as mine...difficult and uncomfortable for me. Thanks for your reply.
I saw a fellows boat once that was like a Douglas as far as not having a pilot berth / 1/4 berth, he put a 1/4 berth in where it led to the steering quad and the trans and engine on the starboard side of the boat..he did this because he was to big to get through the locker to service the engine and trans..
Old 20-01-2014, 04:45   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by valunord View Post

No this was a customer finished boat, Only the hull and deck were factory finished.