Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2013, 07:46   #16

Boat: Hullmaster 31
Re: Hullmaster 31

My wife and I are just about to finalize the purchase of a Hullmaster 31 and we are very excited.
We looked at a lot of newer boats and kept coming back to this vessel as she looked rock solid.
The interior is not as roomy as some other production boats but we know she will take us outside to the blue water and help keep us safe along with safe sailing practices of course.
Bring on the sunshine...
Bushcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 08:53   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushcaddy View Post
My wife and I are just about to finalize the purchase of a Hullmaster 31 and we are very excited.
We looked at a lot of newer boats and kept coming back to this vessel as she looked rock solid.
The interior is not as roomy as some other production boats but we know she will take us outside to the blue water and help keep us safe along with safe sailing practices of course.
Bring on the sunshine...
Any photos? ..Which engine did Hullmasters have when new? Good luck.
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 09:19   #18

Re: Douglas 32

Seems like a pretty high price for an old school design, with the space of a 28 footer and as old as she is....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 09:43   #19
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Seems like a pretty high price for an old school design, with the space of a 28 footer and as old as she is....
I missed the info ,what to do ?thanks...
Old 21-04-2013, 14:04   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Any photos? ..Which engine did Hullmasters have when new? Good luck.
The original had a diesel but apparently parts for that engine where getting scarce so an atomic 4 was fitted which now has 200 hours so before we go into the blue I would be looking at a new diesel but I think we will get some good use out of the existing donk until then..
I have no pics yet but we will take delivery in a week or two and we will post some then.
The survey showed well considering her age so that gives me some confidence in her, and face it for the money it is really a bargain compared to what you would pay for the equivalent today.
Old 21-04-2013, 15:13   #21
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
The original had a diesel but apparently parts for that engine where getting scarce so an atomic 4 was fitted which now has 200 hours so before we go into the blue I would be looking at a new diesel but I think we will get some good use out of the existing donk until then..
I have no pics yet but we will take delivery in a week or two and we will post some then.
The survey showed well considering her age so that gives me some confidence in her, and face it for the money it is really a bargain compared to what you would pay for the equivalent today.
Never heard of going that direction(from D to G),Looking forward to more info and pics ,good luck..
Old 21-04-2013, 16:17   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Never heard of going that direction(from D to G),Looking forward to more info and pics ,good luck..
Makes no sense to me either but most likely budget and intended light lake work that drove the decision, that can be changed later!

Looking forward regardless of the gasoline engine.

I will post some images in the coming weeks..
Old 21-04-2013, 17:18   #23
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Makes no sense to me either but most likely budget and intended light lake work that drove the decision, that can be changed later!

Looking forward regardless of the gasoline engine.

I will post some images in the coming weeks..
If it aint broke...
Old 10-05-2013, 09:22   #24

Boat: 1970 Doglas 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netteypatch View Post
I had to drill-out a lot of the deadwood (in front of the rudder) and some of the aft part of the bilge due to delamination. This was most likely due to some standing water freezing, then leaking into the wood form. I cleaned and dried the region, then injected thickened epoxy in a series of steps (make sure it cures in the center). After this was done, fiberglassed with a mat/weave (3 layers), then faired.

I also found some soft deck underneath the windlass that the core needed replacing

Attachment 54455

Rob
Nettypatch. I have recently purchased a Douglas 31 & in the process of export coating the hull. In the process I noticed the Rudder is in need of repair. I see you have gone through the exercise of removing your rudder & I was wondering if you could provide me guidance on how to remove the lower bearing. I want to ensure I don't damage anything & create other work :-) Thank in advance.
Newbie Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 00:48   #25

First Douglas to Cross The Atlantic

One of the first Douglas 31’s ever built, Penny Royal has perhaps one of the most interesting histories of any Douglas ever commissioned.
Built in 1970 she was one of the earliest hulls produced by Douglas Marine Craft.
She had a custom interior and rigging created by Douglas for extended cruising.
She was commissioned in Port Stanley Ontario and there began her adventures. Penny Royal was a very strong and sea worthy craft with a ¾” fiberglass hull, rigged with double spreaders and double back stays and even running back stays to handle extremely heavy weather. Every square inch of her hull was accessible for storage.
But most notably Penny Royal was the first Douglas to cross the Atlantic Ocean. Her first owner John Wellman and his wife sailed "Penny Royal" across the Atlantic and back to Port Stanley, Ontario. (Article in GAM a older Canadian Publication).
In September of 1976 her third owner Garnet McPherson, and a crew that included Toronto stunt man Tye Cody, and seasoned sailor John Lemon sailed her through hurricane Emily with very little damage, arriving in Provincetown Rhode Island before bringing her up the Hudson river to Lake Ontario. Where she was sailed for several years.
Since then she has been passed along to several owners and traveled the costal waters of the Atlantic seaboard many times. As far as we know Penny Royal is still sailing to this day out of South Carolina.
Lifesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 03:48   #26

Boat: Amor 40

@ Newbie Sailor; I got back to you on this via personal email, didn't I? If not, I'm terribly sorry!!
Netteypatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 05:20   #27

I am now looking for another Douglas please let me know
if you have seen any for sale.
Lifesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:25   #28

I have a '74 Douglas in Hamilton, Ont that I will probably list soon. Asking 22,500. Has almost new Walker Bay dinghy and 5 hp Mercury 4-stroke along with davits. Winter storage and lift-in paid for.
Shakinbake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 18:50   #29

The Douglas 32 is head and shoulders above other similarly priced vessels, in my opinion. It's built well.

Sailing qualities are excellent - for a pure cruising boat. You need a 2 blade or folding prop, clean bottom and big nylon drifter for light air. In heavy weather it shines.

The only reason they are cheap is because they are unknown. It is, as someone else has said, a hidden gem and a rare true bargain in the sailboat world.
brad torrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 19:49   #30
Marine Service Provider

I have an owners manual and spec sheet that I would post if someone would walk me through the process of how to paste it here..