Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2021, 14:08   #1

Boat: Morgan 381 38 feet
Rudder packing gland

I’ve had a constant problem of the locking nut coming loose on my rudder packing gland. The gland and lock are 4.25 inch wrench so I had 2 custom made and pound it tight and it will come loose eventually. I’m thinking of tapping gland and putting a set screw in. Any thoughts? Also I was told to just wrap packing around post in one continuous wrap instead of individual wraps. Anyone recommend that? This apx a 2.5 inch rudder post. Thanks Dwight 1999 Morgan 381
twig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 15:46   #2

Re: Rudder packing gland

Quote:
Wrapping in on continuous wrap...
NO!!!! don't do this! it will leak forever. Anybody who suggests it, Ignore! They do NOT know what they are talking about. Packing is ALWAYS properly done with individual rings one shaft circumference in length.

There are many possible solutions to a packing nut that comes loose. Drilling a tiny hole in the corner of the "nut" part and using a bit of rigging wire to tie it in place is one...

Drill for a set screw is a possible answer, but is very dependent on the exact configuration, and the skills of the person doing the work... Generally speaking putting a set screw down onto a threaded part of any fitting is a BAD idea. It WILL screw up the threads, possibly enough to make them difficult or impossible to remove without doing damage.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 19:28   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

That it seems to loosen so quickly or easily makes me wonder if you're putting enough packing in. Maybe try some tough duct tape before putting in a set screw. If it starts to leak again you can at least remove the tape fairly easily.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 21:52   #4

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

I have the same stuffing box arrangement but the nut is made of Delerin (Acetal), so it holds extremely well - in fact, really difficult to open it with that special wrench.

There are plumbing pastes, like locktite - not the permanent locking! - that works well on holding threaded fittings from opening. few drops of 3M 4200 (not 5200! - that will lock your stuffing box forever...) could work as well.
Old 08-10-2021, 09:14   #5

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57

Could always give it a few tight wraps of electrical tape once you have it set. Rigging tape if you are a puritan.
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:17   #6

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest Lakes View Post
Could always give it a few tight wraps of electrical tape once you have it set. Rigging tape if you are a puritan.

I wrap ours with electrical tape, the space is a royal pain to tighten the lock sufficiently so I just hold it with some tape.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:42   #7

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

One more trick I used to add and compress an additional 1/4” packing gland from top between the shaft and the locking nut, then wrapping it with 1” butyl tape and tighten it all down over the nut with a stainless steel hose clamp (3” in my case). It holds the entire thing extremely tight with close to zero chance to open and/or leak.

Will take a picture next time I’m opening the transom steering compartment.

Tags
packing gland, rudder