Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2015, 07:28   #46

Re: CT 34

We keep Morning Star in saltwater here in Puget Sound so we have 2 1 1/8 shaft zinks and we also have a pair of 3x6 inch plates on the bottom of the rudderto protect the rudder frame and support structure the rudder zinks disolve vary slowly and the shaft zinks need replaced at least once a year sometimes sooner luckily you can see them at the dock easily I also have a small 1 x 5 inch zink attached to the Bobstay chainplate to protect this vital connection as the original stainless one crevice corroded severly, the new chainplate is 30 inches long and has 4 bolts verses the original at 6 inches long and 2 bolts.
marlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 07:36   #47

Do you have a removeable hatch over your engine bed the picture looks like the steering may be installed aft of the engine, on our boat our steering pedestal is mounted to the hatch and we have teak grates over the hatch
Old 29-06-2015, 07:49   #48
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the ct 34 and 35 i saw looks like baby 41 and is as stout as is the 41. good cruising choice. beautiful boat.
hull is still thick fg, no core. topsides are wood, with and without fg overlay, dependent on boat, as all are individual. these aint production specials. they sail properly and are good in WIND.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 08:30   #49

no there is no engine hatch ,had to pull the old engine through the cabin
i wish it did .
thanks for the replys
Southron Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 19:37   #50

Re: CT 34-how to replace cutlass bearing ????

well here is the update on the boat , we finally got the new beta 25 in the boat we had a small set of shims made for the engine mounts on the forward end of the motor to get the angle right those were tapped and fiberglassed in place and the motor mounts set .

we got a new 3 blade prop and a new 1.25" shaft made . we need to replace the cutlass bearing all the tools i have found and video's are for sailboats with struts how do we remove the cutlass bearing on a ct-34 .
it is still on the stands in the yard , i really need to get it back in the water.

none of the boat mechanics on lake norman ever seem to have replaced a cutlass bearing on a sailboat before

we did get some bottom paint on the boat
Old 20-08-2015, 19:58   #51

looks better
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (2).JPG
Views:	232
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	107681  
Old 29-09-2015, 19:18   #52

well , we ended up using a sawsall blade to cut out the cutlass bearing by hand , got the boat back in the water and back to the dock so we could stop paying the 10 dollars a day yard fee.

we got the diesel running using a jerry can as a fuel tank , right now we are running a return line and hooking up all the stuff that the guys we hired disconected that was not needed to be disconected .

the instrument pannel is all hooked up , need to get the muffler done and new control lines from the pedestal .
Old 08-11-2015, 16:45   #53

the beta 25 diesel seems to be working fine in the ct-34 .
first time out sailing it after several hours we noticed a lot of slack in the port and starboard shrouds . we dropped the sails and i went below the mast had gone down through a rotten spot in the floor .
so.... the mast has been pulled and we ripped out the bad sections and increased the supports , we are also cleaning and repaired all the lights on the mast .
Old 10-11-2015, 16:32   #54

So sorry for the compression issues before stepping our new mast I had checked the compression post connection thru the cabin sole the wood was ok as it was glassed to the hull I am not positive of what is below the sole in the keel as it is glasses over I do know that when sounding the hull that there are hollow areas and I have thought about taking a small hole saw and drilling a couple of inspection holes and dropping in a scope to look around. The chain plates on ours are currently the more urgent project I will be doing some cutting into this winter so will let you know what I find.
Steve
Old 14-11-2015, 15:29   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlers View Post
We keep Morning Star in saltwater here in Puget Sound
Hi Marlers. Just thought I'd reach out and tell you. I lived on your boat when we commissioned it at Brownsville Marina as Alar. The boat had sat unloved fresh off the ship for almost a year when my parents made an offer. In the subsequent years it was sailed all over the west coast as far north as Alaska and south towards Oregon. It spent a lot of quality time in South Sound. Somewhere around 1994 my parents sold it and I think it went from Bremerton up to Port Townsend on to the hard. From 80 to 84 I lived on it full time with my parents. When I returned from the Marines in 86 I lived on it for a year. The Volvo that was in it had to be rebuilt several times. It never quite ever ran right.

That boat was awesome. I've sailed on many other vessels in many other oceans, but will always remember the gale force sleigh ride across the straits from Vancouver to Port Townsend. Stay sail alone, rooster tail, burying the bow sprit, and hollering all the way. My parents got to old to take care of it, I moved to Florida and sailed plastic hot rods, so they sold it. It was used hard and put away wet one to many times. When I last saw it it made me nearly cry.

Best of luck...
selil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 20:23   #56

selil
Hi thanks for the bit of history on Alar, aka Mangany, and finally as Morning Star you would be happy to see her again as she is back in proper form to take us where ever the wind blows. We have had her in some moderate winds where we were down to the staysail and both reefs in the main and she was happily heeled and punching thru the choppy water like butter. it is always nice to see the older vessels either restored or maintained as they are an endangered breed with the smaller and smaller numbers of boaters looking for cruising boats and the cost of new boats restrictive to only a small number of potential owners.
If you have any other history or pictures of Alar please feel welcome to PM or e-mail me, I would happily add that part of her history to my ships log.
Thanks and fair winds
Steve SV Morning Star
Old 15-11-2015, 04:48   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, selil.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 15:07   #58

has anyone rebuilt there bow sprite on there ct-34 ? any tips you can offer will be helpful , that is my next project
Old 13-03-2016, 18:03   #59
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southron Spirit View Post
has anyone rebuilt there bow sprite on there ct-34 ? any tips you can offer will be helpful , that is my next project
When I read that you had gone sailing on the Molly C and had issues with the mast I thought about the Bow sprit ! I watched a small pine tree grow out of that piece of wood for for 3 years.. I pulled it out one day when cleaning her up after the owner got sick and my deal trying to help him sell it fell through (should of pulled it out" before" the customer saw it,I was told!) I went down to the dock one day and the whole of the dock smelled of diesel fuel I believe Thruman had left some tanks on board and they had burst or the fuel tank may have let go ? It was a mess..I always told anyone I tried to sell her to that she wasnt sea worthy and she had sank at the dock.. Told many different folk that it was not safe to sail her, even in the lake (100 ft deep!) .....There was also a crack running along the backside of the starboard coming that should be looked at, lot of people had different remarks about that..good luck shes a good looking old boat..I miss seeing her when I sail by Midway....
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 21:38   #60

We removed our bowsprit repainted it after filling all of the holes from the platform and preservative treating it. Our anchor platform was in dire need of a rebuild I cut a 3/8 stainless steel plate to the original platform shape and welded cheek plates for the bronze rollers I moved both rollers inward to reduce the twisting induced by the anchor pulling from the outer edge of the platform teak planking is bolted on and the new pulpit railing attached completed the updating of the pulpit.