Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2008, 22:07   #16

I purchased a Ct34 last year as a project to rebuild. Yes it does need a lot of work but the lines are nice and clean. Then I read that there were only 43 built, I'm just curious how to find my hull #. I am also wondering about cockpit reconstruction, my tiller is still there but the entire cockpit otherwise is gone. All pictures I've seen have had what I think are after market wheel installs. Any comments or suggestions would be wonderful.
loone1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 03:08   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loone1976 View Post
I purchased a Ct34 last year as a project to rebuild. Yes it does need a lot of work but the lines are nice and clean. Then I read that there were only 43 built, I'm just curious how to find my hull #. I am also wondering about cockpit reconstruction, my tiller is still there but the entire cockpit otherwise is gone. All pictures I've seen have had what I think are after market wheel installs. Any comments or suggestions would be wonderful.
USCG Manufacturers Identification Code (MIC) Database:
Manufacturers Identification Code (MIC) Database

Unfortunately, I don't see any listing for Ta Chiao Bros.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 20:59   #18

Re: CT 34

I'm considering the purchase of a CT-34 and would very much appreciate some input.
My plan is to sail her in the western Long Island Sound and I've heard that the CT-34 may not be well suited in this light-wind environment. Considering the 8-ton weight of the CT34 , should I reconsider this purchase? Thanks for your input.
newsailor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 21:49   #19

Newsailor1
I have recently sold my Ct34. However I sailed it quite extensively over 8 years taking it out on the water at lest 100 or 150 times. Change in family arrangement meant less boat time so it's sold. Regarding light winds. True ct34 is not a strong performer under light winds. However I used a 130 genoa and had a 150 genoa and a fully battened main. These two things together improved my performance significantly. However no matter what you do it will never be fast. I considered 5 knots good and under moderate winds 6. I've cruised under heavy seas and wind, where it really shines. Reefed down, only stay sail up and breaking hull speed over and over. Very pleasant ride. I still love the boat, but then speed never was my objective.
papanini08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 20:47   #20

I have a CT34 with aluminium spars but the rigging was removed previously.
Does anyone have a rig plan or know the wire sizes.
seafleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:27   #21

Hi Seafleet,
I have a ct34 mine is # 19 and a type A plan I changed our rig to aluminum spars also it is a double spreader rig we are upsized from the origional on our wire sizes I used 5/16 on the headstay and the backstay all else is 1/4 inch. do you know if the mast you have was built for your boat, more info will help I have the rigging plan that I used when I had our mast and boom built as I replaced everything up from the chainplates in 2000.
Steve
marlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 17:23   #22

Steve,

Information is scant as I am doing the job for the owner who bought the boat with just about everything removed. So there is lots of missing
equipment. As I said re. the mast, there are only bare poles, everything has either been lost or thrown away.
It is a Type B and as far as I know spars look original. Single spreader cutter.
Name of the boat is Matilda, home port Norfolk, Va.

Regards

seafleet
Old 08-01-2012, 17:31   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafleet View Post
Steve,

Information is scant as I am doing the job for the owner who bought the boat with just about everything removed. So there is lots of missing
equipment. As I said re. the mast, there are only bare poles, everything has either been lost or thrown away.
It is a Type B and as far as I know spars look original. Single spreader cutter.
Name of the boat is Matilda, home port Norfolk, Va.

Regards

seafleet
If the USCG registration is correct, that boat has been out of the water for a long time (2003 was the last expiry date on registration).

Sounds like you have a hull, and that is pretty well it.
Old 08-01-2012, 18:22   #24

2003-That may well be true as the boat is now in Australia.
It is mainly deck gear and rigging missing, that is why I would prefer a rig plan to rerig it as per original. Wire sizes are my main concern.

seafleet
Old 09-01-2012, 16:49   #25

Hi Seafleet,
have you reviewed the pages linked at the begening of this thread regarding the vessel named Crumpet? The plan info shows the sail plan for the ct34 both type a and type b, also a possible sourse for rig dimentions might be LaFeil they had information on our type a design that I reviewed when I had them build a new mast and boom for Morningstar. I once saw the CT34 named Telos she had a single spreader rig She was in Olympia WA. I am not sure if she is still there but I will check this week Telos was a type b plan does the one that you are working on have a bridgedeck in the cockpit? also are there chainplates mounted on the cabinhouse aft of the mast?

Steve
Old 09-01-2012, 17:40   #26

Boat: Westsail 32

Steve, I have been following this thread with interest as Telos is my Dad's boat!
Yes, she is still in Olympia.

seafleet, I have a few pictures here of Telos if you would like I can e-mail them to you for a bit of a look. Let me know if you want inside or outside shots.

Unfortunately age has caught up with Dad and it's time to sell her.
Sooo..... If you know of anyone looking, she's for sale.

Steve
Tinman 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 17:54   #27

Hi Tinman,
So sorry to hear that your parents have to sell Telos but I understand I met them about three years ago in Gig Harbor When they came in I couldnt help but notice a sistership and promptly rowed over we had a nice visit, Telos is the only CT34 besides ours that I have seen.
Steve.
Old 09-01-2012, 21:12   #28

Steve, I've seen notes on Crumpet which has a plan of rig configuration but not sizes. If I have to go ahead with out the info, I would tend to go oversize.
Tinman, some outside shots would probably help. Scott
Old 10-02-2015, 18:27   #29

Hello folks,
Any chance there is still some interest in this thread out there? As the current owners of hull #28, my wife and I are curious about other CT 34 owners, their boats, any modifications, and what they like/dislike. We found ours on the hard after 10+ years with some restoration already done. Sure, there are some things that will definitely need attention, and some of those things will be pretty unsavory jobs when we're chest deep in it, but, I've been deep into ugly in boat work before and over time we forget all the times we say "never again! What the #@!! was I thinking?" She seems like a great boat regardless of her shortcomings, but I have no experience with her to speak of.
I'm left-handed so I favor lots of pictures!
Old 11-02-2015, 09:46   #30

HI Tony, welcome from what I found you have a type 2 layout is that correct? what is her current status are you on the hard, what projects are you taking on?
I have done a lot if work on Morning Star and have a couple of things to jump into this season.
Steve