Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2015, 18:11   #31

Re: CT 34

Hey, Steve

Thanks for jumping in. You are correct, she is a type 2/ plan B model, and she is on the hard in our back yard. From the little bit of information we could glean from the web* and a few phone calls before purchasing her, we knew there was a strong likelihood we would be doing some (read a lot of) work on her. No better place then the back yard where you can't hide from the inevitable!

Man, where to start...we could start at the top, but let's start with the obvious. While leaking fittings could be categorized as maintenance, it's hard to say, given the state of the deck caulking, whether the water ingress is coming from the fittings, or just entering the cabin at that point after first getting into the deck structure from any one of a thousand points topside. So the teak decks are coming off. It goes without saying that will involve a little core "maintenance". And the obligatory conversion of gallons of epoxy into piles of dust..again. The upper shroud chain plates need to be inspected and, more likely than not replaced. Initially we were going to move them the outside of the hull, and we still may, but I have been leaning more and more toward your choice of addressing the matter.

Being we brought up the chainplates we may as well go back up to the top. At some point in the years the previous owner had her, he purchased a Kenyon Spars mast (extrusion 4873) but I don't trust that it was actually ever stepped on this boat. We all know how that goes. Sometimes "strategic honesty" is employed to sell boats. I'm not sayin', just sayin'. We'll need to get a boom built for her and all the assorted hardware.

There is a patch on the rudder that leads me to believe that it is worth doing a little grinding just to make sure everything is in order. Too critical to not give it due attention. Things like that are a lot easier in your own back yard where you aren't racing against a deadline in a boat yard.

Then there is the issue of the timber under the compression post. The tabbing is failing and it could easily be improved on to distribute the load to the hull. So far this is probably the easiest job I've come across yet! While we're in there, might as well do a little reconfiguring. I really like Sweet Caroline's salon layout, but that's a ways down the road yet.

Reinstalling the diesel will be the last major job. Then we can get down to the fun stuff like wiring, canvas jobs, stainless work, and wood projects.

Give your input freely, and by all means, post photos!

*I really like the work you guys have done to Morningstar. That is, what I have been able to see from the couple of photos that Jon put up on his site and what you've written here.

Tony
Old 12-02-2015, 10:29   #32

Tony, so many projects I will find some pictures and post them. When we were on the hard with the boat leveled both ways I replaced the mast and standing rigging rake was set using a plumb bob to original specs. if you need i have my mast and boom drawings and Ta Chiao's original sail plan that I worked off of for fabrication I also had leakage at the compression post but damage was at the top so new sealed blocking above headliner and when I reinstalled it I added a 1/4" stainless turning block base plate that is thru bolted to the compression post and tapped for the mast base bolts. I also installed fiberglass reinforced epoxy backing blocks to the inside face of the bulwarks for the new railings and sealed all of the old stansion holes in the deck as they were a leak problem.keep me posted on progress.
Steve
marlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 17:52   #33

my brother and i became co-owners of a ct-34 today right now it is named :molly.c in the past it was named saunook and perseverance III. it is a 1981 model .

about 2 years ago it sunk at the dock in a fresh water lake it was raised and pumped out within a few hours, the motor was "pickled " as soon as it was raised .

the boat has stayed dry for the last 2 years . we got a pick up truck full of extra gear with it .

we have a long road to go getting it in shape .
Southron Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 18:39   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southron Spirit View Post
my brother and i became co-owners of a ct-34 today right now it is named :molly.c in the past it was named saunook and perseverance III. it is a 1981 model .

about 2 years ago it sunk at the dock in a fresh water lake it was raised and pumped out within a few hours, the motor was "pickled " as soon as it was raised .

the boat has stayed dry for the last 2 years . we got a pick up truck full of extra gear with it .

we have a long road to go getting it in shape .
I know the Molly C well having been her berth mate at Midway..I remember when she was brought onto the lake back in the 80s,I was there the day she came in...She had been traded around between a few fellas and I was even evolved with trying to sale her at one time but I dont remember anyone sailing her..Good luck with her she is a beautiful boat..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 17:39   #35

our plan is to keep the boat in the lake for the next year and get the major stuff done .
then move it to the east coast and start heading for the key's
eventually ending up in louisiana at cypremort yacht club .

the boat will be sailed , many a day i have filled the truck with stuff to work on my 23' spirit arrived at the boat and it was too nice a day not to go sailing ,so the gear never left the truck .
Old 17-03-2015, 19:53   #36

Hi Southron Spirit, welcome aboard we have ct34 # 19 built in 1977 it's a type a plan she has treated us well for 15 years now keep us posted on progress of your refit and if able attach pictures to the updates also what is the hull # it should be carved in the cockpit combing giving the build # and date of build.
Steve
Old 06-04-2015, 19:53   #37

well , we spent most of friday ,saturday and sunday cleaning up the boat , we cleaned the bilge out , sanded some of the deck plates in the cabin so you can get them in and out with out too much effort .

we rolled out the jib and raised the main ,they look in very good shape the main .
my brother has been tackling the wood work topside and it looks a lot better already .
all new dock lines and new fenders

does anyone know how long the mast is when it is pulled ? we have a aluminum mast and spreaders

only numbers we could find stamped on it are :tac340330781
Old 06-04-2015, 20:18   #38

Southron Spirit,
our mast is 41 feet tall deck stepped with a stainless steel compression post to the cabin sole, and the hull numbers mean that you have hull # 33 that was built in July of 1981, the tac340 is the make and model.

Steve
Old 06-04-2015, 20:36   #39

Southron Spirit from the information on ct34 Crumpit's website your vessel has also been named Down Stream

Steve
Old 07-04-2015, 19:40   #40

thanks steve,
the mast on this boat is not deck stepped in goes down to the cabin floor .
it is still blue and white.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:23   #41

do all ct-34's have the same size propeller shaft ?
has anyone installed a beta marine 25 in there ct-34 ?
does anyone have a sling diagram for lifting a ct-34?
tia
Old 10-04-2015, 12:52   #42

We have a 1-1/8" shaft driving a 3 blade prop this gives a tremendous improvement to manouvering under power over a 2 blade prop also when motoring into a headwind with wind chop, we have a volvo 2030 27hp engine you can compare the engine mounting to the beta it will most likely fit as we have plenty of room around our engine. As far as hoisting 1 sling just ahead of the rudder this is easily seen with the canoe stern and 1 sling just foreward of the mast the slings will have to be lashed together to prevent the foreward sling from slipping as it will be on the slope of the forefoot. The flat of the keel ends at the mast we have also hauled out on a marine rail as the 8 feet of flat are plenty to position the boat on the rail cart.

Steve
Old 28-06-2015, 12:20   #43

we finally got our old motor pulled out ,then they picked the
boat up so we could pull the shaft and clean the hull .i
belive it had never been cleaned since they put it in the lake .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150627_144608.jpeg
Views:	214
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	104340  
Old 28-06-2015, 12:23   #44

they pressure washed the hull as soon as it was out of the water ,
do y'all have anodes on your hulls ?
we did find a wooden plug stuck in a thru hull which makes me really glad we pulled the boat
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150627_151414.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	445.1 KB
ID:	104341  
Old 28-06-2015, 12:27   #45

pulling the old motor , one motor mount nut was stuck and the shaft coupling bolts were frozen .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150627_142937.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	347.6 KB
ID:	104342