Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 11:39   #46

Boat: Cal 2-46
Quote:
Originally Posted by keelbolts View Post
While some governments are better than others, EVERY government is simply the biggest gang in town. It's always been about power, stealing from people what they've produced, and protection rackets.
Yes governments aren't perfect, I think that your characterization is a little over the top. Have you ever met anyone who worked for government? Many public servants are actually quite dedicated to serving there communities!

Although self preservation gets in the way sometimes, and some systems can be improved, there is a lot of good out there too.
LuvToSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:49   #47

The post that inspired me to throw in my 2 cents worth was the one in which a fellow forumite stated that his greatest fear, when cruising, is of running afoul of a government. I didn't say that there should be no governments, what I was getting at is that governments are not made by God or nature, but are made by men and, as such, are prone to being troublesome. I guess, because they're always around, people tend to extend to governments a misguided notion of legitimacy. They are a game people play - no more - no less. This is a historic fact, not my opinion.

Anarchy is no better as it tends to get out of hand.

My brother is a fairly senior government type and I know him to be a good guy who is there for the right reasons, but that doesn't change the nature of the beast he works for. The good news is that the more good guys you have in the government, the easier it is to tame the beast.

Never trust a government more than you would an individual in the same situation. Buying the Brooklyn Bridge from a government representative isn't any smarter than buying it from some shady guy on a street corner.
Old 03-06-2010, 14:50   #48

Boat: Hunter 42 Passage
Send a message via Skype™ to Panamajames
My 2 cents worth (the rest of the story)

I love Mexico and its people. I have been to Mexico 20 times over 30 years. I was climbing Chetazenitza and Palenque before my 30's. I flew there in my own airplane there and met many wonderful people and they welcomed me and helped me alot. But I will never return to Mexico, I am done because of the Mexican government and its government officials. Mexico is a mess and awash in crime and drugs. It is horrific to say the least. AND Mexico blames the USA because of the drug problem.. They are blaming us.. What happened to taking responsibility for their own actions. That is all I heard USA is to blame for our problems, drugs and deporting our workers. Word can not describe how I feel.

Anyway more on the incompetence.

The Feds lost my boat papers and registration, gun permit and passport.. The said they probably put them in someone else's file.

The kept my Colombian girl friend in immigration detention for 2 weeks without change of clothes or shower. She was held in offices at the airport. She had no visa but we put in there because we were in danger at sea. After she was released they gave her 15 days to leave and be a tourist. IDIOTS

In Mexico you are guilty until proven innocent. Nothing less.. You have 6 days to prove to the judge you are innocent. There are no juries.

The put in the general prison. Thats right the prison for all kinds of criminals.

I bribed a few guards and that is the only reason I got good treatment.

The Navy guarded my sailboat and stole my computer chip out of my chart plotter and my best rope.

The Harbor captain's boat or the Navy boat or the Customs boat rammed my boat and crunched the fiberglass.

I am very bitter but I will forgive but I will never return to that god forsaken country of murder's and thieves and governmental idiots.

Sorry for my spelling I could not find spell check. I am just a simple guy without any criminal record. I was just forced into Mexico due to the storm but I learned that Mexico and the world is a very messed up place.

God help us all.

I must say in closing that many Mexican people are very nice. I feel sorry for them.
Old 03-06-2010, 20:07   #49

I thought the illegals were trying to get into the US. It turns out they are just trying to get out of Mexico.
Old 03-06-2010, 20:32   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Boracay, I think you are looking at outdated statistics.

Quote:
More than 6,500 drug-related killings made 2009 the bloodiest year since President Felipe Calderon declared war on the cartels in late 2006 and deployed 45,000 soldiers to fight organized crime, according to death tallies by San Diego's Trans-Border Institute.Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

Two weeks into 2010, gang bloodshed is becoming more grotesque as drug lords ramp up their attempts at intimidation. Last week a victim's face was peeled from his skull and sewn onto a soccer ball.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34815308...news-americas/
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 14:55   #51

Boat: Cal 2-46
Quote:
Originally Posted by keelbolts View Post
The post that inspired me to throw in my 2 cents worth was the one in which a fellow forumite stated that his greatest fear, when cruising, is of running afoul of a government. I didn't say that there should be no governments, what I was getting at is that governments are not made by God or nature, but are made by men and, as such, are prone to being troublesome. I guess, because they're always around, people tend to extend to governments a misguided notion of legitimacy. They are a game people play - no more - no less. This is a historic fact, not my opinion.

Anarchy is no better as it tends to get out of hand.

My brother is a fairly senior government type and I know him to be a good guy who is there for the right reasons, but that doesn't change the nature of the beast he works for. The good news is that the more good guys you have in the government, the easier it is to tame the beast.

Never trust a government more than you would an individual in the same situation. Buying the Brooklyn Bridge from a government representative isn't any smarter than buying it from some shady guy on a street corner.

I agree
LuvToSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 14:51   #52
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
It has always been illegal to bring a weapon to Mexico. Do your homework first is the rule. To think the liberals worry about illegals here in this country being incarcerated for committing a crime, it's a joke. Mods I am not turning this political, but a comparison needs to be made, so thoise travelling to foriegn countries will keep thier noses clean & out of trouble.......................i2f
I will put my money where my typing is. My intention was to sail from Florida directly to Panama, well knowing the gun laws. A problem occurred, and we altered course for Cartegena. I agonized over the thought of throwing my pistols overboard. Not knowing the laws of this situation in Colombia. I looked at them, and looked for a couple of minutes, and then quickly tossed them over 35 miles away in international waters. I just finished reading it is a 3-10 year sentence to bring them to Colombia. Although no one ever asked. I entered the country with an easy feeling........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 20:47   #53
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Although no one ever asked. I entered the country with an easy feeling........i2f
Good. Because a traiined Customs official can spot the uneasy feeling a mile off

Only crooks can fake it, but us honest people become damn obvious when we try to lie.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 21:29   #54

Boat: Tartan 3ooo
Quote:
I will put my money where my typing is. My intention was to sail from Florida directly to Panama, well knowing the gun laws. A problem occurred, and we altered course for Cartegena. I agonized over the thought of throwing my pistols overboard. Not knowing the laws of this situation in Colombia. I looked at them, and looked for a couple of minutes, and then quickly tossed them over 35 miles away in international waters. I just finished reading it is a 3-10 year sentence to bring them to Colombia. Although no one ever asked. I entered the country with an easy feeling........i2f
You are essay. In one week i sail to Cartagena, will be there with less steel.
Old 05-06-2010, 21:54   #55
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
yes yes yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Good. Because a traiined Customs official can spot the uneasy feeling a mile off
Twice a year I go through Mexican customs with a rifle case that contains two or three high-end, carbon-fiber kayak paddles. The reason I use a rifle case is that I've never found anything else that will offer similar protection for my paddles, which on average cost $250 USD apiece.

The first few times I went through Mexican customs with this case I was nervous that they'd think I was transporting firearms. And, as you can suspect, they picked up on my nervousness and gave me the full-on inspection, patting me down and unrolling every pair of socks in my luggage to discover whether I was transporting contraband.

These days I'm far more comfortable with the professionalism--not to mention the good humor--of Mexican customs agents. When they see the rifle/paddle case coming through the line I smile and tell them that I'm a kayaker and these are my paddles. I hand them the case without being asked. Without fail, they pop open the case, smile back at me once they see the paddles, and wave me through without examining the rest of my luggage.
Old 06-06-2010, 18:16   #56

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Simply Amazing!!!!!!!!!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 18:31   #57

Boat: Island Packet 27, BLISS
Quote:
I would like to narrow this down a bit and say that the Mexican border is at war. I don't want people to get the wrong idea and think that the whole country is a war zone. The majority of it is a very safe place
I spent 11 of the past 18 months living in Mexico and driving all over it and never had a single problem or felt threatened. To the contrary, I met the nicest people, including very helpful customs and immigration officials and police officers. I was stopped on the highways at plenty of checkpoints but treated respectfully.

So far, of all the countries I've visited, I love Mexico the most and plan to move there when I'm done cruising unless I discover a place I like better.
Gracias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 18:40   #58

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982
Happy to hear you and your girlfriend are out, Panamajames. It's also good to hear you hold no malice towards the Mexican people, as they are some of the most honest and hospitable people to travel among. Bless the French for bringing the Napoleonic code to the Mexican justice system. Guilty until proven innocent isn't a rule of law that was developed by the Mexican judicial system.

I've been traveling to Mexico since 1954 mostly overland and more recently by sailboat. During that time, there have been a few negative incidences, but they pale against all the positive experiences I've enjoyed over the years. Yes, there is government corruption (and it's no surprise to anyone who visits or lives in Mexico) and, more recently, ongoing horrific drug violence. As is prudent when visiting any country, one should be knowledgeable regarding the laws and customs of that country, particularly when considering entry as an armed alien. Avoiding drug violence is to avoid transporting, purchasing or frequenting locations where drugs are present.

Both the H1N1 scare and news of widespread drug cartel violence have had a negative effect on the tourist trade in Mexico. While it's been a blessing to those of us who enjoy uncrowded anchorages, it's been economically devastating to many of the honest, hard working folks in Mexico who depend on tourists for their livelihood. If you were to poll the cruisers in Mexico about their experiences, there is a very high probability that they would have predominately positive experiences to share. I'd be interested in hearing statistics of how many tourist have been killed in Mexico over the past three years (and US gang gunmen shouldn't be included).
neophytecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 17:59   #59

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx
Maybe I missed it but what port did you enter with your 42?

My experience has been the following: I am a single woman who has driven through Mexico to Costa rica and back over 7 times alone. I do not talk with anyone but the gas station atendants and the police, both federal and local (local being more corrupt) and the ejercito (army). Everyone wants something from the gringas(gringos). Mordita (little bribes). After a while it becomes comical. the little hitlers are tough to deal with as they take themselves very seriously. Sometimes it is better not to speak Spanish with them and they get flustered but then there are times when it is absolutely necessary to speak Spanish so as to avoid a more serious problem. Although I love Mexico and the people my feelings could change just like Panamas did if something went really wrong. I have driven the length of the country being stopped as little as 6 times or as high as 30 times over 3 days. My highest count has been in Honduras but thats a story for another day.
xxuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 18:02   #60

xxuxx, just curious.

How did you come to love the Mexican people if you never spoke to anyone but gas station attendants, police, and army?

MikeZ
MikeZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico