Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2007, 15:32   #1
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter
Connecticut Marinas & Slip Rates

I'm looking for recommendations on Connecticut Marinas, Slip availability and rates.

Any info is helpful.

Thanks

Ken
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 15:36   #2

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
I am staying in deep river at brewers, very nice. However, I will tie off to a mooring instead of their dock. They generally have slips available, they cater to people who stay season to season. Very scenic, takes me about 45 minutes to get to the sound.
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 15:40   #3
cruiser

Any idea of slip rates for 45'-50'?
Old 23-01-2007, 16:20   #4
cruiser

Trim50 - I have the Maptech book for all marinas in CT (and NY on Long Island). Can you tell me some qualities you are looking for in a marina and harbor?

Proximity to Long Island Sound?
Ammenities?
Rates?
Service?
Location (to grocery, stores, hardware stores, etc...)?
On public transporation to NYC?
How protected?

If you let me know, I can spend a bit narrowing them down for you. I have stayed at Brewer's Deep River. Did a haul out there. It's a good place, but 45mins down the river just to get to the LI Sound is a bit of a hike and a lot of extra motoring if you plan to use your boat often. (No offense, Island Mike... just pointing out the drawback to it). On the upside, it was a reasonable price and the staff was friendly. We did a spring haul for bottom paint, buffing and zincs there in spring of 06.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 16:40   #5
cruiser

Looking at possibly living in Albany NY and wanted to know what the best/closest marina for keeping my boat. I really know absolutely nothing about the area.
Old 23-01-2007, 17:31   #6
cruiser

Ahhh. Albany. Ok. I would suggest the Long Island sound, as you already have zeroed in on. There are more interesting places to visit along there and up toward New England.

As for the closest marinas, do you want something close to NY then? Closer to NY means a slog to get out to anywhere nice with fresh air. Shorter driving and the boat will be closer, but it is more urban and suburban sailing. Being further out in CT or even RI will get you to the "good stuff" in less than a day's sail. You leave in the AM, arrive at some fun destination, and sail back fitting it all in a weekend (neglecting car ride time).

For being close, you would probably pick a marina in NJ on the West side of the Hudson River or just south of that. CT traffic can be *brutal* on the weekends. This is urban sailing. For nicer destinations, you want to be about half way down Long Island Sound.

So... are you looking to be closer via car, and in a more urban/suburban area, or farther by car and in a more quiet area?
Old 23-01-2007, 17:49   #7
cruiser

If I do this, I want the boat close to the best sailing. As it is here in CA, I fly an hour to my boat. I'm willing to drive in order to have the boat in the best location.
Old 23-01-2007, 17:52   #8
cruiser

Where you want to be is either on the Connecticut River or in Mystic. This allows you GREAT real ocean sailing within a few hours, trips to Block Island, Buzzard's Bay, the Vineyard, Newport RI, the Hamptons, etc... all in less than a day's time.

The closest marinas to the open water on the Connecticut River are:

Harbor One Marina
Saybrook Point Marina

a bit further up the river...

Essex Boat Works
Brewer's Dauntless Shipyard

and all the way up....

Brewer's Deep River

In Mystic, they are all relatively close to open water:

The ones in Noank, CT are semi-open to weather - Spicer's Noank marina
Noank Shipyard

More protected in Mystic:

Fort Rachel Mairne
Mystic Shipyard
Mystic Downtown Marina
Seaport Marine

Have you spent much time "out East?" These areas are pretty "New Englandy." Very nice in my opinion.
Old 23-01-2007, 17:57   #9
cruiser

Your help is greatly appreciated!
Old 23-01-2007, 18:03   #10

Suggest you try Manhasset Harbor on Long Island for a lot of good sailing oriented activity and decently close in to the Throgs Neck Bridge. $3 transient rate and $25 daily mooring rate is not cheap but standard for the area.
Manhasset Bay Marina: Long Island Marina: Marinas

Also...check out Marinas.com | Aerial Photography of Marinas, Lighthouses, Ports, Restaurants, and more for an incredibly detailed look at most marinas you might think about.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 18:10   #11
cruiser

Suggest *against*Manhasset Bay Marina due to LaMotta himself. Staff is nice, but owner needs customer service lessons. Plus, owner is as NY is it gets... not an easy adjustment for CA people. Also, Manhasset Bay Marina will result in a painful drive just about into NYC and then down the LIE/Northern fighting Hamptons traffic. Sorry camaraderie... Don't mean to completely trash your suggestion. I just have a lot of experience with LaMotta's marina. Do you live at Manhasset Bay? We probably know each other if you do.
Old 23-01-2007, 19:37   #12
cruiser

I can count on one hand (well maybe a couple more) the number of times I've been to the East Coast. Loved Maine when I was there in the Spring. I like Boston a lot. The sailing looked great, however I can't imagine seeing snow on my decks.

Thanks for your help...I'll check them out.
Old 24-01-2007, 04:05   #13

It is true about the 45 minutes to the sound from Brewers Deep River, however, it is cheaper than many marinas right on the sound and is better protected. There are a couple more on the Mystic River that I have used in the past that are good and fairly well protected. Noank Village Marina, not to be mistaken for Noank Shipyard, and Brewers just before the bridge. Good Luck
Old 24-01-2007, 04:36   #14
cruiser

I agree with Mike... there is no better protected marina than Deep River. 45mins upstream from the mouth of the river, and it feels like a small pond. Almost feels like you shouldn't have your boat way up there. But it's a safe passage.

Trim50: Here's a photo to get you started on the snow thing... taken at Manhasset Bay Marina no less! That was after the only major snowstorm last winter. Other than that, it wasn't so bad. I use a plastic dustpan and brush to clean the deck off after the snow. Also, I took the mainsail down this winter, since I'm not doing a refit and have the space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WinterFromDock.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	830  
Old 24-01-2007, 06:06   #15

I do know that we are not allowing snow in Deep River this year!

Tags
marinas