Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2015, 13:51   #91

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'
Re: Columbia, Nautica, Newport, Cal T/4 -Merged

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyVincent View Post
9.9hp at the prop is totally inadequate, but the 13hp at the shaft that the boat comes standard with works in the some of the most treacherous channels?...are you speaking from experience with a 10hp outboard on a 28footer? Because Iam and I have gone thru channels in a 5kt+ current with no issue. It pushes the boat to 6.5kts on the gps and 5kts at about 30-40% throttle
Vinny~

I don't mean to belittle your knowledge of how much power an outboard can develop. I DO mean for the op to know that an outboard is totally inappropriate for Hawaiian waters, ( where I sailed in the charter business for two decades ). It isn't about the power, it's about the seas. The mean average wind speed in the Hawaiian waters (where she will sail) are 15kts. That's the 24hr,365 days a year average. Seas in the winter are commonly 15' to 25' high. That is a normal winter day. An outboard hung off the back of a boat in those seas will pitch and leave the water allowing no water to cool the engine. A 10hp~15HP OR 20HP~ IS OF NO MATTER. And yes I have sailed many with all of those on the back....but not in Hawaii.
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 13:53   #92

Boat: Cal 2-30

I would concur that you should replace rigging and budget accordingly. I know it is a way different market there and I remember I had to be somewhat flexible as a buyer. I would rebuild or repower the inboard considering it is Hawaii. Also you have the yearly buoy runs for inspection there. You will want a good running engine whatever it is. Have your surveyor do the initial 2 year inspection as long as he is on the boat - it will save you time and hassle with the harbor master. In the end you will probably pay a lot more than on the mainland but you could have a great boat that will fit in that small slip.
crashkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 14:17   #93

Boat: Newport 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by duefocena View Post
Vinny~

I don't mean to belittle your knowledge of how much power an outboard can develop. I DO mean for the op to know that an outboard is totally inappropriate for Hawaiian waters, ( where I sailed in the charter business for two decades ). It isn't about the power, it's about the seas. The mean average wind speed in the Hawaiian waters (where she will sail) are 15kts. That's the 24hr,365 days a year average. Seas in the winter are commonly 15' to 25' high. That is a normal winter day. An outboard hung off the back of a boat in those seas will pitch and leave the water allowing no water to cool the engine. A 10hp~15HP OR 20HP~ IS OF NO MATTER. And yes I have sailed many with all of those on the back....but not in Hawaii.
I understand the inboard is better in high seas. I was talking worst case scenario, she could still get out on the water.
VinnyVincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 14:44   #94

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

She's OK with the existing diesel.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 15:32   #95

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Most surveyors will do fine with this boat. The engine is well known (is the shaft leaking?), the hull is reliably solid, the sails can be assessed quickly, and even dirty ones can last years (not sure what "good" meant in the description.. how old are they?) If it were me and and I couldn't haul it out, I'd just snorkel around with a camera and look at the through-hulls (and see if the seacocks work) and rudder, zincs, and bottom paint condition. In this boat I would not be concerned about blistering, but if I found some it would be something to consider in the offer. I agree I'd be a bit more concerned about 15 year old rigging. The $18,000 asking price seems very high to me, but I don't know the Hawaii market. This is a 27 foot boat, there's not that much to it, and that's a good thing! You were looking at a Columbia 26 MK1 earlier, right? This design is very similar in ballast and displacement to the Columbia, but it has a much longer waterline, so it theoretically should be a little faster. The headroom is a little less than the Columbia but I doubt that matters at this point. With a little googling you'll see these boats cruising all over the world.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 00:31   #96

Boat: need to find one by October

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyVincent View Post
Ive been following this for a while and even Im starting to get frustrated lol...the vega is a well made boat and maybe worth fixing even if there are major issues
Oh boy, me too the search isn't fun anymore! We looked at it this morning and from our view, it looks good. We're going to have a few professionals (but definitely not three surveyors) give it a look and proceed accordingly. I doubt that there is anything seriously wrong with it considering what I know about last two owners. The most recent owner left the island to become a Buddhist monk. The interior shows the tlc we were expecting. We are in the same social circle as her and the owner before her. I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks again for all of the encouragement and advice throughout the process!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
knockout_mice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 05:00   #97

Boat: Jeanneau 44i SO

Good luck with it and keep us posted on what happens. You will be sailing in a solid built boat that will handle the Hawaii waters very soon.
l2ridehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 12:20   #98

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Yeah, and I'm not sure, but I think having a baby is a lot tougher than buying a boat, so the easy part may be over!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, columbia, newport