Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2018, 10:12   #76
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
Yeah I don't think that would be to much work. I would likely do them like the small portlights. Some marine ply then glass, which makes a stronger mount than the relatively thin fiberglass on the coach sides.
bingo
Old 19-05-2018, 10:33   #77

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28

All,

I just wanted to say thanks for all the input and advise. Honestly if it wasn't for the resource of you guys and the Friends we made in San Diego we wouldn't feel comfortable doing any of this.

We really appreciate you sharing the lesson learned over the years, it helps us to make the best decisions we can and saves us time and money. It reminds me of a quote attributed to Isaac Newton and goes something like this.

"If I have seen further into the future it is only because I stood on the shoulders of giants" -Newton

Not that we are making some great discovery for humanity, but rather that we are making a huge discovery for ourselves with a lot of help from the entire cruisers forum community and knowledgeable friends who are marine service providers carpenters, metal fabricators, plastics suppliers, shipwrights, etc.

We are really expectant for the new adventures and time together on our Columbia 29. Modest as she may be we are over the moon for her and where we shall travel together. Two crazy parents, two little kids along for the ride and Lord willing great friends along the way.

Anyway, we just wanted to thank you guys. We are learning loads of good information.
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 10:46   #78

Quotes: "did you build a little base for it or use the tank clamps?" and "Yeah, maybe its just worth it to live with the rust on a*steel*tank!"

Maybe I'm late to the party :-) I have two "11 pounders" (old style, steel) in a retrofitted locker from before my time. To sand the bottoms of the tanks with garnet paper (80 grit) and spray paint them with primer takes no time at all, and I've no intention of spending money on fancy tanks when that job is so quick and easy.

However I do NOT have headroom above the tanks to place them on a grating. The PO who put in the locker obviously didn't use his noggin :-)! The only reason the bottoms of the tanks get tatty so soon is that they do not have a grating so sit on, so since your are building a new locker, remember to make provision for that.

Mine are held in place by a shaped yoke that slips onto a skookum threaded rod and is held by a fender washer and wing nut. Works just fine. You might like to arrange the hose run so the gauge is easily visible.

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 10:47   #79
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
If so what might be some concerns I should consider?
I was just noting the issue and saying be careful, seems like newhaul's got you covered.

Some people have big sliding screen doors into their boat's cabin, but I'm always thinking blue water safety.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 10:54   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Quotes: "did you build a little base for it or use the tank clamps?" and "Yeah, maybe its just worth it to live with the rust on a*steel*tank!"

Maybe I'm late to the party :-) I have two "11 pounders" (old style, steel) in a retrofitted locker from before my time. To sand the bottoms of the tanks with garnet paper (80 grit) and spray paint them with primer takes no time at all, and I've no intention of spending money on fancy tanks when that job is so quick and easy.

However I do NOT have headroom above the tanks to place them on a grating. The PO who put in the locker obviously didn't use his noggin :-)! The only reason the bottoms of the tanks get tatty so soon is that they do not have a grating so sit on, so since your are building a new locker, remember to make provision for that.

Mine are held in place by a shaped yoke that slips onto a skookum threaded rod and is held by a fender washer and wing nut. Works just fine. You might like to arrange the hose run so the gauge is easily visible.

TP
Excellent advice, I actually just put in some of that rubber mat from garages in my chain locker for similar purpose. So I think if I use some of that same mat (lots of extra) it will do the trick to keep the tank off a wet surface. Sounds like the steel cheap tanks will be the ticket if the composite 16" tall tank wont fit, which will likely be the case.

Thanks
Old 19-05-2018, 10:56   #81
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here's an idea that just hit me paint the bottom ring with this
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
May even get away with painting the bottom half of the tanks .
Old 19-05-2018, 10:56   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I was just noting the issue and saying be careful, seems like newhaul's got you covered.

Some people have big sliding screen doors into their boat's cabin, but I'm always thinking blue water safety.
I understand, its always served me well in emergency management to go bigger, heavier and more robust than you think you will need. One thing that has always impressed me is the power of the ocean and that is just from my time surfing and diving, I have never been far off the coast. However, the day is coming so I appreciate you input.

Any luck with the boat search by the way?
Old 19-05-2018, 10:57   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Here's an idea that just hit me paint the bottom ring with this
iRJTVSzz1q12sy8tT63MXFr5eiLEcVciQmCJEffDVreDLql7e1 6WbYWEaApqREALw_wcB
May even get away with painting the bottom half of the tanks .
I don't think your link came through.
Old 19-05-2018, 10:58   #84
cruiser

I'm not saying these would be worth figuring out for use on boats, but a boondocking friend fitted his camper / BBQ trailer with horizontal propane tanks, about a yard long and one foot diameter, in aluminum and originally used for forklifts. Each holds 43# and fitted with both liquid and vapor ports.

Not considered permanent RV style but portable DOT certified, yes heavy, but as a strong guy he could swap them out when needed, but usually refilled keeping them mounted.

He had adapter valves so filled from Autogas as well as regular propane dealers, and off grid was able to fill others' smaller tanks, including BBQ tanks and 1# coleman style.

Said some dealers gave him grief for a non-standard setup, but the more knowledgeable ones had no problem with it.
Old 19-05-2018, 11:01   #85
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I don't think your link came through.
fixed it
try it again
Old 19-05-2018, 11:06   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
fixed it
try it again
Perfect, thanks for the link. Yeah I'm sure that would seal it right up.
Old 19-05-2018, 11:06   #87
cruiser

Quote:
Any luck with the boat search by the way?
It seems obvious the problem won't be finding the boat once I'm ready for it. The main problem is all the super bargains driving me crazy in the meantime.

Getting my requirements really spec'd tightly, narrowing to a very small list, and increasing my ability to pre-survey, spot expensive issues will help keep me from prematurely pulling the trigger.

And getting a good trailer and a stable cheap place to park it, is "step zero" these days.

With a possible side project of actually getting some sailing with the kids on a local lake, almost grabbed a nice $1000 Folkboat for that recently 8-)
Old 19-05-2018, 11:34   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
It seems obvious the problem won't be finding the boat once I'm ready for it. The main problem is all the super bargains driving me crazy in the meantime.

Getting my requirements really spec'd tightly, narrowing to a very small list, and increasing my ability to pre-survey, spot expensive issues will help keep me from prematurely pulling the trigger.

And getting a good trailer and a stable cheap place to park it, is "step zero" these days.

With a possible side project of actually getting some sailing with the kids on a local lake, almost grabbed a nice $1000 Folkboat for that recently 8-)
Wow, was that the folkboat on Ebay? Nice looking boat if that was the one your referring to. Anyway sailing with the kids sounds excellent. We started with the trailer too, well after we scrapped the boat sitting on it. But that was the hardest part to find. Best of luck with locating a trailer.

Keep combing craigslist, you'll find one. Im not sure what your area is like but if you see few sailboat trailers and many powerboat trailers like southern ca, that's an easy fix. Just buy a power boat trailer of the right length and with good axles with the right rating. All the power boat trailer have the axles to far back since that's where the weight is on those boats. Anyway just have the axles moved to the center. Hopefully you do some welding or know someone who can.

From there your set, just find a cheap set of stations or make some and you will have a bomber trailer set up how you like it. Ours was a home build and carried a 13k plus boat for almost a decade so its way more than we need for our little Columbia, but we love it.

I might be swapping all three axles this summer actually since one is slightly bent. But even at that point the two good axles (they run the older mobile home type wheels) can run a boat 10k and under. So I may build another smaller boat trailer and slap those under it or maybe build an equipment/car hauler trailer for when we want to tow one of our extra cars or a small skid steer.

Anyway, getting way to long. I wish you were closer we could locate something where I am. Between here and the west coast it appears to be tons of nice trailers for sale. Oh one other option is keep an eye on govliquidation.com they have some very robust boat trailers and trailer frames from time to time and they usually go for a song.

Don't forget if you really loose your mind, I think the guy I bought a boat from still has his sitting around. I could tow it from CA to MT for you and you could trailer it back from MT to your home and its like new and professionally built, fully adjustable.
Old 19-05-2018, 11:42   #89
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Wow, was that the folkboat on Ebay? Nice looking boat if that was the one your referring to. Anyway sailing with the kids sounds excellent. We started with the trailer too, well after we scrapped the boat sitting on it. But that was the hardest part to find. Best of luck with locating a trailer.

Keep combing craigslist, you'll find one. Im not sure what your area is like but if you see few sailboat trailers and many powerboat trailers like southern ca, that's an easy fix. Just buy a power boat trailer of the right length and with good axles with the right rating. All the power boat trailer have the axles to far back since that's where the weight is on those boats. Anyway just have the axles moved to the center. Hopefully you do some welding or know someone who can.

From there your set, just find a cheap set of stations or make some and you will have a bomber trailer set up how you like it. Ours was a home build and carried a 13k plus boat for almost a decade so its way more than we need for our little Columbia, but we love it.

I might be swapping all three axles this summer actually since one is slightly bent. But even at that point the two good axles (they run the older mobile home type wheels) can run a boat 10k and under. So I may build another smaller boat trailer and slap those under it or maybe build an equipment/car hauler trailer for when we want to tow one of our extra cars or a small skid steer.

Anyway, getting way to long. I wish you were closer we could locate something where I am. Between here and the west coast it appears to be tons of nice trailers for sale. Oh one other option is keep an eye on govliquidation.com they have some very robust boat trailers and trailer frames from time to time and they usually go for a song.

Don't forget if you really loose your mind, I think the guy I bought a boat from still has his sitting around. I could tow it from CA to MT for you and you could trailer it back from MT to your home and its like new and professionally built, fully adjustable.
my opinion concerning your current trailer I would just drop the middle axle out of the set . Reduces the rubber on the road that eventually needs replaced. If nothing else just pull those tires off . When you don't need all of the capacity.
Old 19-05-2018, 11:54   #90

Quote: "I actually just put in some of that rubber mat ..."

That'll work - with one caveat. There has to be "runnels" on the UNDERSIDE so the water accumulating in the "cells" of the mat can drain away from the bottom of the bottles. And remember that when underway the sole in the locker will never be horizontal. Any water in the locker sloshes about before it goes out the scuppers :-)!

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbia, refit