Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2018, 11:31   #31

Re: Cheapest Cost to Desigh/Build Sailboat for zombies

I think the "fact of life" Sailingrock is missing is that the cost of the bare hull of a five'n'forty foot sailing vessel constitutes about 5% of the "fully found" cost.

Years ago "ferro-concrete" gained currency among the naïve by being touted as the way to a "cheap" boat. Lord knows how many dozen of them sat along the banks of the Fraser River for years without being finished, because the owners ran outta money/ambition. They were eventually broken up - at quite some expense - and used for landfill.

The designs of these boats were, mostly, by Cecil Norris, and on paper they looked just fine for heavy cruising boats. The ones that WERE finished, including John Sampson's own, sailed, AFAIK, just as one would expect of heavy displacement monos.

As for Brent Swain, he is still around, and I see nothing wrong with his concept. It is essentially the same technique used in "stitch'n'glue" wooden (plywood) hulls for smaller boats, and if Sailingrock has the competence to develop lines by the "developed cone segment" method, there is no reason that he shouldn't be able to design a decent serviceable hull and even to build it using "tack'n'chase".

None of that alters the fact that the cost of the hull is a small fraction of the total cost, of a boat nor the fact that developing hull lines, and panel patterns, is the least of the skills needed to design a good yacht.

By all means, Sailing Rock - have a go at it, and when you've got the lines, sailplan and arrangments drawings done, do let us see them, along with your weight tallies, CofF calculations and cost estimates :-)

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 11:45   #32

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I'm going out on a limb here and say that yes it can be built for 78 thousand smackerooos.

Of course when you factor in the conversion rate from smackerooos to dollars you get about US $428,864.76. Which is in at least the ballpark.

Some savings can be had as Zombies don't really need a head or water or a sink. Really refrigeration is not needed either as brains are best served warm.
Loved the humor.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 11:51   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I think this boat has already been designed but I’m blocking on the name.

AH HA! There it was filed under Iron Bark.

A 35’ Wylo II. There was an outfit in England trying to produce these a bit ago, not sure if they are still around.

But good reading about the folks who have sailed them. Very interesting.

Iron Bark's travels: Iron Bark

https://atomvoyages.com/articles/sai...05-iceman.html

http://www.wavetrain.net/boats-a-gea...rt-simple-boat

1997 WYLO Wylo II Long distance cruiser used boat for sale - boatersresources.com
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 12:07   #34

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 52.2

You could buy a kick ass boat for 70k and spend 8k decorating it in zombie colours
Nikki S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 12:17   #35

Boat: no boat any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfcoastsailor View Post
Hard to believe he got so many replies.
yes, hilarious!!!on the infinitesimal chance that this is no troll: local (Austrian) lore calls this "inventing the wheel again!"
Old 27-12-2018, 12:19   #36

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
yes, hilarious!!!on the infinitesimal chance that this is no troll: local (Austrian) lore calls this "inventing the wheel again!"
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 13:41   #37

Do not try to design and build your own boat if you have no experience in building and sailing. I have seen so many of these wasting away in boatyards to be eventually cut up and sent to the landfill, usually after passing through several non-experienced owners pouring endless amounts of money, only to eventually have to pay for disposal.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 17:27   #38

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Yes, absolutely you can build that boat. I built a 64 ft. steel hull for what would be about $8000 in today’s money. But you can double that as steel prices have more than doubled since then. Cummins engine and zf transmission for $4500.
But as others have suggested, I recommend buying something already built. You could easily do that at your stated budget. Or if you are set on building, build something smaller to learn and find out what you are getting into, say about a 24 foot. You will soon know if building a 45 ft. Is for you.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 20:39   #39

Oh my, what lovely brains you have! I feel kinda like Number 5 (Short Circuit movie) sucking up the input. Seriously, thanks for all the good thoughts--very tasty, indeed.
I'm not going to start spending moola ($$) on this until after I build a house this summer. Hence, I have time to research, learn, and take in the advice of many people more experienced and including those on this forum. When or perhaps if I do, I will be sure to do it on the web so that others can follow along.

Come 'on, trolls on a sailing forum? Really? Hahaha! Well, maybe since when I looked in the mirror this morning, I did see a little troll in me. However, then I realized it was a window and that was my neighbor on the other side taking out the trash. Either way, that is okay. I had rather be a zombified troll than a vampire in San Fransisco--it is not your blood they suck.
sailingrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 03:26   #40

Boat: 29 ft

Another way of going in low and replacing smackeroons by own work is taking over a building project that someone else has started but will not finish. Just make sure he did a good job of his work, especially the welding and material spec. if it is steel.
Hesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 04:40   #41
cruiser

Regardin design,anyone know what type of sailboat this is?.

Anyone know the design?

Home - Hybrid Eco Cruser

Gruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 07:26   #42

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

A well-found, capable, heavy (sea-kindly) 45' cutter will cost $80k to $160k depending on how much recommissioning is needed and the location.
To build the same boat will cost about 8 times as much. That's why cruisers either buy older boats or new, lighter, plastic boats.

You will save a ton of money doing all the work yourself. But look around at all the 45' hulls in backyards that have been 20-year projects.

You are way ahead if you buy a used boat and retrofit with what you desire. (Including pentagrams instead of compass roses.)
The years it saves you will be the most valuable thing you have.

Do some crewing as a volunteer. Learn about boats and oceans. Look at hull shapes as vessels on the ocean instead of as anchored homes.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 08:44   #43

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruz View Post
Regardin design,anyone know what type of sailboat this is?.

Anyone know the design?
The photo shows the lifeline shadow across the solar panels. In our experience, even the shadow of a line will cut a panel's output by up to half.

And I would never expect my tender (dingy) to take the brunt of following seas.

It looks brilliant on paper. But I'd call the design a very expensive pipe dream. I like the idea of green, sustainable, eco-friendly. But at a glance I don't think this is it.

If a larger motor had been available when I repowered 15 years ago, I would have considered an electric motor as my main auxiliary power. I would make up the lost weight with batteries and add a lot of solar. But the largest motor I saw at the time was 30 hp. I like the green concept and think it will prevail one day soon.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 05:11   #44

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

If you own an accessible lot large enough with electric that the neighbors wont run you off. Maybe...
Personally i think you are looney. Good thing you stay away from drugs and alcohol . Then again , maybe a good dose of them will bring you to your senses , Hahahaha
Good luck , you will need it ...
Old 30-12-2018, 05:23   #45

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

On getting somone elses project ....
Rent barn project is in for two years, hire transport to to move 8 miles and launch, 2500$
200$ a month slip fee not including electric x 4 years.

Or free boat, boatyard transport, boatyard space rent, hidden fees, buy trailer , transport yourself, buy 30k$ truck to pull ... Hahahaha
Dont even ask Hahahaha

When you finish your house , return to this thread.
Are you building your zombies house on pontoons ?

Tags
boat, cheap, sail, sailboat