Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2022, 12:19   #1
CJ7

Boat: Looking
Can you identify this Buccaneer?

Hello all,
I am new to the forum and to sailing. I am looking at getting a first sailboat to learn on. As with many people, price is a major factor. I am pretty handy, so I don't mind a fixer upper, so I came across this sailboat parked outside of a marine supply store. The owner of the store bought it a few years back as a project, but decided to go ahead and sell it since he hasn't had time to fool with it. He said that it was a Buccaneer and he thought that it was around 26'. He said (on the phone) the inside was completely gutted, so I assume that the motor doesn't work. I got the picture from the street, so I tried to look up on sailboatdata.com, the exact model, but haven't found anything that matches the picture exactly. Just curious if anyone might be able to identify it. I think it might be a 275, which is supposed to be the same as the 270 but with an inboard diesel engine.

Anyway, the owner is asking just $1200 for it, but the way he described it on the phone, it needs a complete refit on the inside. Is this a good deal (if I don't mind a lot of work), bad deal, or something in between? Anyway, thanks for the comments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Buccaneer Sailboat.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	260825  
CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 20:46   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Can you identify this Buccaneer?

There’s an old saying…the most expensive boat I ever owned was free….the problem with project boats for first time owners is that the chance of it ever being brought back to life and ever being sailed again are astronomically small. The estimates for the duration and cost of the project can usually be increased be a factor of five.
The boat you are looking at was never noted for its build quality, it’s sailing ability, or it’s looks.
That is not to say it doesn’t fit some niche in the market. They had large interiors for their overall length and their modest sailing ability was a comfort factor for those not seeking sailing performance. Only you can decide if it would fit the parameters you have in mind.
The reason it has been sitting for years is that few find it desirable.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 21:04   #3

Boat: Sabre 34II

$1200 for a boat that looks like that with a completely gutted interior - don’t do it.

Look for a ready to sail boat, they are not that expensive in that size range, better yet, learn to sail first and then you’ll know what kind of boat to get.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 00:02   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

$500...tops!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 02:30   #5

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

So, I think it depends on what you want to do with it. If you're just going to use to sail around on in protected waters like a river or lake it may fine for that.

My cousin bought a Buccaneer 20 for $1000 and used it for a couple of years here on the St. Johns river in NE Florida. Had a blast.

It's not a cruising boat, or blue water or anything like that, so don't go there.

Are you handy enough to fix whatever it needs ? Do you know enough about boats to tell if it's sea worthy ?

If you know what you're doing I'd at least go look at it. If this is your first boat I would absolutely pass.

Old 12-07-2022, 02:45   #6

Look for another boat as the amount of work that has to be done on this one is too much. You want to go sailing not spending years fixing a boat up.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 03:29   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I am new to the forum and to sailing. I am looking at getting a first sailboat to learn on.
With respect, considering the above statement I would strongly recommend NOT buying this boat. It will be a long slog up a very steep learning curve BEFORE you can even think about "learning on" her.

And even if that wasn't a consideration, putting a lot of work and some money (more than you think!) into a boat with such a poor pedigree is not a good plan. There are too many inexpensive boats lurking about, boats with good bones, boats that would amount to something useful when the work was done to be wasting your time on such a dog.

Good luck with your plans, and be prepared to become an addict for life!

Jim
Old 12-07-2022, 04:14   #8

I don't know more about the boat's i.d. but I'd go with Buccaneer.

As someone said here already -- their boats were not great boats or designs. I don't like that so much of the boat is above the waterline and there's just not much below.

Gutted ? Gee.. that's extreme if true. If they did that, they must have been unhappy with the overall picture or MAD with the World.

I recently advised a friend -- who fell in love with a boat that had been greatly but poorly redesigned -- to NOT buy. He did buy and I have no ideas as to why but I sadly predict he'll be unable to do the sailing and cruising that the boat was intended to do. He called me about needing an electrician and I'm not surprised -- the prior owner had moved the electrical panel and to a better spot but one that would have no "back-bone" or support and it was simply flopping about.

There are boats out there needing less.. but more deserving. More costly to get in but less disappointing at the end.
Mlp48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 07:32   #9

If you are getting a strong signal of CAUTION from these posts ..I endorse them and advise you NOT to do this.

I have purchased three sailboat projects from a Wooden John Alden 30 ..to a Sparkman/Stephens 32 fiberglass ..to a SS 35 foot center cockpit. The wooden boat was a five year apprenticeship from A-Z. The SS 32 was a great design and a reasonably short restore. I solo sailed her on the Great Lakes for several years. The SS 35 Center Cockpit was my last boat and I restored her in Mexico and solo sailed her in the Sea of Cortez and into the South Pacific. My route paid off for me ..but I'll always regret the time I lost in my apprenticeship on my first boat. I could have learned all the same lessons if I had purchased a restoration boat with a future and the promise of seaworthiness. IMO this Buccaneer is not the boat you want to end up with after all the Blood, Sweat, Time & $-Money you'll shed getting her into the water. Your interest and perseverance may not survive. Spend more time on researching the starting boat you want and why ..then go for it.
kalise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 07:44   #10

I'll join in to recommend avoiding the Buc, and i dont think the 26 had an inboard engine in most. ? or did they?
Small boats are not expensive and you can get a decent one for probably $2500. That will be FAR cheaper than a $1200 Buc needing everything!
Chrysler 26 is a good small boat. There are many others.

When you buy a boat like that, make sure the sails are good as they can cost more than the boat.

Get a boat that is at least usable, and go sailing between repairs!
What's your general location?

https://boats.waa2.com/detail?id=a71...=chrysler%2026

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 08:27   #11

Don't buy a project boat as a first boat.
You are likely to run out of enthusiasm before the boat hits the water.
Even so called 'ready to sail' boats often need work and equipment, but are usually able to launch and sail locally, giving some feedback to keep up your enthusiasm for sailing.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 11:58   #12
CJ7

Boat: Looking

Thanks everyone for the replies. I appreciate the candor. Truthfully I was leaning toward "no" on this one, as it was more project than I wanted to take up. Not scared of the work, but the older I get (I'm 46) the more I view time as a premium, even though money is tight. I will keep looking for something more together. Thinking about a 25-28' trailer sailer that would be comfortable to learn on and eventually take on overnight trips (I live an hour away from the gulf). Anyway, thanks for everything.
CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 13:06   #13

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7 View Post
Hello all,
I am new to the forum and to sailing. I am looking at getting a first sailboat to learn on. As with many people, price is a major factor. I am pretty handy, so I don't mind a fixer upper, so I came across this sailboat parked outside of a marine supply store. The owner of the store bought it a few years back as a project, but decided to go ahead and sell it since he hasn't had time to fool with it. He said that it was a Buccaneer and he thought that it was around 26'. He said (on the phone) the inside was completely gutted, so I assume that the motor doesn't work. I got the picture from the street, so I tried to look up on sailboatdata.com, the exact model, but haven't found anything that matches the picture exactly. Just curious if anyone might be able to identify it. I think it might be a 275, which is supposed to be the same as the 270 but with an inboard diesel engine.

Anyway, the owner is asking just $1200 for it, but the way he described it on the phone, it needs a complete refit on the inside. Is this a good deal (if I don't mind a lot of work), bad deal, or something in between? Anyway, thanks for the comments.

This is a Buccaneer 240. These were built by Bayliner in the late 1970's as a first foray into sailboats. They were very poor performers a, poorly built, and did not sell (or sail) very well, if at all. I sailed on one a couple of times, didn't work. A couple of Bayliners later models were much better, but also suffered from poor worksmanship.

Please don't go for this boat. You will have a project that when finished, if ever, won't really be a sailboat. It won't teach you much about sailing, but you will have some experience with frustration.
Old 12-07-2022, 13:14   #14

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Bayliner, a powerboat company decided to get into the sailboat market when the 70's gas crunch hit. It isn't a very good sailboat. Later on they rebranded as US Yachts and used a sailboat architect.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/sai...er-295-and-305

The seller would have to pay me to take a gutted boat.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 13:15   #15

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7 View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies. I appreciate the candor. Truthfully I was leaning toward "no" on this one, as it was more project than I wanted to take up. Not scared of the work, but the older I get (I'm 46) the more I view time as a premium, even though money is tight. I will keep looking for something more together. Thinking about a 25-28' trailer sailer that would be comfortable to learn on and eventually take on overnight trips (I live an hour away from the gulf). Anyway, thanks for everything.
Catalina 27…Chevrolet of the bay.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote