Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 16:23   #1

Boat: Rou-Coo is a 16 ft Canoe. A big Sister is in the planning stages!
Caliber vs Island Packet

I thought I'd give the Hylas/Oyster conundrum an American twist. I'm looking at a Caliber 47 (and a Caliber 40). Those two bracket the size range of boat I am looking for. I'm impressed by the Caliber line but how does it stack up against a similar sized Island Packet?
Rou-Coo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 17:51   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Caliber vs Island Packet

A difference without a distinction. Each is well made. Each has significant differences in cockpit layout as well as interior design. Both sail well and are made to essentially equivalent standards. I am fortunate to live in close proximity to the factories of both and have toured a number of times to make my own comparisons. After some careful comparison,I'd determined it is largely a personal preference.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 18:07   #3

I evaluated a new Caliber 40 for some friends (it has been 10 years though), I was left with the impression that it was only marginally a cut above your average "cruiser/racer" Just an impression from a 1 hour look and pushing and pounding on the hull etc...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 18:52   #4

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

No they are not the same. I have sailed on both and both are well made good offshore boats but Calibers (I have one) sail far better than IP's do. Especially if you occasionally like to sail to windward. For a ballpark notion, check the phrf ratings. The base rating for a Caliber 40 is 120 and and IP 40 is 156. But IP's have better amenities when at anchor.

IP's are full keel boats - Calibers have long keels with the rudder on a skeg.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 17:08   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I evaluated a new Caliber 40 for some friends (it has been 10 years though), I was left with the impression that it was only marginally a cut above your average "cruiser/racer" Just an impression from a 1 hour look and pushing and pounding on the hull etc...
I've been thinking about this post and feel I need to add some: This couple was quite old and quite concerned about having a boat more sturdy than their previous Perason 38. My evaluation was based on that. The reality is that the Caliber is likley at least as good as the Pearson's which have been sailing to the world for years. No , their probably not built with the heavy scantlings of a Passport etc, but in today's world, that might be a good thing. I'm not sure too heavy is a good thing... I've leaned toward coveting lighter and lighter bots over the years....within reason... and the Caliber might just fit that nitch...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 05:08   #6

I dont think anyone who sails one would call a Caliber a "light boat". There may be heavier ones out there, but they are very solid cruising boats built for ocean passages. They are not light.
Old 16-06-2011, 05:20   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
I dont think anyone who sails one would call a Caliber a "light boat". There may be heavier ones out there, but they are very solid cruising boats built for ocean passages. They are not light.
Ditto! A good friend owns a Caliber 40 and the boat is built like a tank and sails well too.

I have customerswho own IP's and they too are well built but the Caliber wood work, access to fittings, tankage and sailing performance really separate it for me from the IP. We sail the Caliber in light winds regularly and the IP's just don't fair well in that regard.

My only gripe with the Caliber is the lack luster seacock installations if comparing to an IP which uses through bolted flanged seacocks...

While both are very well built I would take a Caliber over an IP. I work on these things and have crawled around nearly every nook and cranny and seen the construction close up and personal, both are excellent. Personally I'd rather sail than motor and the Caliber, despite it's weight, is a decent sailer... I don't see any comparison between a Caliber and a mass production boat like a Pearson, Catalina, Beneteau etc. unless we're talking about the Pearson 530..
Old 16-06-2011, 05:59   #8

Boat: Bristol 38.8

I saw an IP 38 with a centerboard. Has anyone sailed the centerboard version and does it point better than the full keel version?

IMHO the IP 38 has a better interior than the Caliber 40. For starters, I do not like the placement of the nav station in the Caliber 40. It takes away from galley storage.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 06:56   #9

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

I have clients with each, and work on them regularly. They are "both" very good boats, with good, well thought out systems.. The IP has more room and shallower draft, but less windward ability. The Caliber, is a better boat IMO, for long deep water passages. (Especially the LRC). For the US ICW, Chesapeake, rivers, and Bahamas, I'd go with IP, however.

M.
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 08:27   #10

A true comparison would be the Caliber 47LR and the IP465 or the IP38 to the Caliber 40. Either way albeit a heavier boat and slower I would choose the IP for fit and finish, workmanship and roominess. The interior of the Caliber is dated and funky being more like the our E43K Endeavour (also designed by Bob Johnson of IP). The IP's have awesome nav stations and very user friendly cockpits indicative of the workmanship in the rest of the boat. If you're moving up or impressed with the likes of a Hunter, Jeanneau or Beneteau you'll be duly impressed with the Caliber. IP's on the other hand are built to take on any condition with the most comfort, control and ultimately the best value.

The Caliber Nav station

Attachment 28590

The IP Nav station

Attachment 28591

The Caliber galley

Attachment 28592

The IP Galley

Attachment 28593

The Nav station of a 30 year old E43K (not ours)

Attachment 28594

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 12:45   #11

I dont like the caliber 47's much at all. The 40's seem to me to be a way better designed boat for ocean passages - I actually like the galley on my 33 better for an ocean passage than the galley on a 47 you have a picture of above. If I had a million dollars I might well get a Caliber 40. There is no way I would get a Caliber 47.

There are quite a few Calibers out cruising the Caribbean and Pacific. We all tend to notice each other. Yes, those who are impressed by Hunters, Bens, etc. would be impressed by a Caliber. IP owners are also impressed when we leave them behind sailing anywhere to windward. Dont think an IP is necessarily a better blue water boat than a Caliber. It really isnt the case.

But if the deciding factor for you when picking a boat is the nav station, then by all means avoid a Caliber. I have other priorities and am quite happy to sacrifice a delux nav station in order to have more room elsewhere. YMMV
Old 16-06-2011, 13:01   #12

Boat: Bristol 38.8

It's not the Caliber nav station per se that bothers me, it's the location of the nav station. It takes away from galley storage. The IPs have a better interior. Would I buy an IP? No, for the reasons stated by others: they don't sail to weather very well.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 13:17   #13
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

don't know about the IP but I too have crawled thru every nook and cranny of my caliber. ditto on the thru hulls but they don't worry me too much. i like that it has no liner or interior fiberglass except in the head. it is all marine plywood structural to the hull. also notable is the almost 50% ballast ratio. bilge is a little shallow compared to IP. the chainplates and most hardware are first class engineering. i don't like the plexiglass companionway hatch. nav station on the 33 is perfect for me.
Old 17-06-2011, 04:36   #14

what someone above said about Caliber seacocks is true. They use marelon which is a fine thing to make a fitting out of, if only they would make the handles so they wont break off. You need to keep exercising them regularly so they dont freeze up. Otherwise you run a risk when you try to free them. I have never heard of one failing in any other way, nor do they suffer from turning pink they way some traditional seacocks do when the metal starts to go bad.
Old 17-06-2011, 06:47   #15

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

I took a hard look at the Caliber 40LRC versus the Island Packet 380 a few years ago. The Caliber was built as well as the IP and it would certainly sail to weather better.

And I definitely like the lack of a floor pan which affords access to the interior hull bottom.

But the Caliber has an old fashioned hull plan which pinches the beam in the aft third of the hull. This limits quarter berth size and lazarette space. The IP has a fuller aft beam and lots of room back there.

Yes, I value accomodations more than sailing ability, so it was a showstopper for me.
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
island packet