Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2006, 11:17   #1

Boat: Catalina 387
Caliber LRC 40

We are considering buying a new Caliber LRC 40, we would appreciate any user information. I would like to communicate with anyone that has personal experience with the Caliber LRC 40 sailboat.

Greg
Greg Riach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 16:20   #2

Boat: Island Packet 380
We found out one thing that caused us to suspect Calibers...knew someone with a 3 uear old 40 that got a crack in the fuel tank...was going to be outrageous to repair....was unusable. He used a 5 gallon portable tank around NYC for short trips and lived aboard.

We like IP a lot better...that are close to the same shape boat with much higher quality. I'd rather have anolder IP than a newer Caliber from everyone I have talked to.
https://starsonthesea.com/
lexxyahoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 17:19   #3

Here are the web sites of a couple of active Caliber 40 owners. I am sure they would both give you good insight on the design if you email them.

http://www.chrisandsusanconrad.blogspot.com/
http://windom.cybox.com/

Woody
exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 19:38   #4

Boat: Saint Francis 50 Sailing Catamaran
I have a friend with a Caliber 40 who I may be able to connect you with if you are still looking. I've sailed on the boat in 30-40 knots and it earned my respect. There are pros and cons as with any boat of course. Some parts of the diesel are tricky to get to and I'm not super fond of this particular boat's anchor locker (not self stowing). That said she handled herself wonderfully and was very comfortable for the 4 days I was aboard.

Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. -- HG Wells
RandyAbernethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2006, 13:55   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexxyahoy
We found out one thing that caused us to suspect Calibers...knew someone with a 3 uear old 40 that got a crack in the fuel tank...was going to be outrageous to repair....was unusable. He used a 5 gallon portable tank around NYC for short trips and lived aboard.

We like IP a lot better...that are close to the same shape boat with much higher quality. I'd rather have anolder IP than a newer Caliber from everyone I have talked to.
I am very surprised, no, actually shocked that the owner was not able to get Caliber to repair the tank under warranty. A three year old boat? Are you sure it was that new, and that the defect was not caused by someone's negligence, other than the boat builder?

I was seriously considering the Calibers, both the 38/40 and the 33/35 for a bit 7 or 8 years ago. They are very nice looking boats and I actually spoke with the McCreary's about several issues.... they are very good guys who build a quality boat, which is why I'm surprised about the fuel tank issue.

The big problem I had with the 38/40 is the interior layout. The owner's SR forward with the head in the bow is great when not underway. I also like the salon and galley. But IMO a 40 sailboat should not have 2 heads. There is just not enough space and more important things are sacrificed elsewhere. In the case of the Caliber 38/40 the second head (which is actually required when you have the first head all the way up in the bow) detracts from the nav station (which is jammed in aft of the galley) and from overall storage.

I actually like the Caliber 33/35 much better from an interior layout point of view. It's a terrific coastal cruiser, although kind of expensive relative to a lot of other designs.

The other issue that I have with Calibers is their reputed lack of speed to weather. I understand the IP's are even slower.

Frankly, it's hard to justify a new boat of this type. If you're spending well over $200k for a properly equipped sailboat (probably more like $300k for a Caliber 40 LRC), it had better meet your needs perfectly. I have not seen a new boat design anywhere that does not have some significant flaw, so my $$ are better spent on an older boat that meets most of my needs.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2006, 10:21   #6

Boat: Caliber 40 - LaLeLu
Quote:
Quote:

Oh, a story about a friend that knows someone, that told his brother that someone else knew someone....Don't believe it one bit! Let me tell you, as a Caliber owner, about their customer service.

We bought our 40' 1990 Caliber (called a Caliber 38 back then) last February. The previous owner put on older auto prop on the boat. Two weeks after we bought the boat, one of the prop blades broke off while we were underway and the strut broke. (We will never know whether it was the strut or the prop that broke first. Caliber told us that the prop was too heavy for the strut and they don't recommend using them on their boats). We took our parts to Caliber factory in Clearwater and Cathy and George spent the better part of the day talking with us and trying to figure out what went wrong and how to put her back together. They pulled the "file" on our hull (they keep a file on every hull they sell) and found the original specs on all the parts on our boat. They obtained the parts for us from the manufacturer and shipped them to us. These people could not have been more helpful to us if they were blood relatives. And we were not new boat customers.

As for build quality, I very much disagree that IP's are better built. I think IP cuts corners in many areas where Caliber doesn't. Look at the fake plastic light casings on the IPs and the plastic dorades. IP has become a mass producer where Caliber has stayed small. Caliber told us that they had the opportunity to expand their plant a few years back, and they opted to stay small.

We absolutely love our boat. Everyone that walks down our dock comments on what a beautiful boat she is. She sails fast and is still plenty stiff. We kick ass on most production boats that we cross paths with. We have sailed in 20k wind with full canvas and making 8 knots w/o a current. Everyone else on the river that day was sailing with only reefed main and heeled way over.

If you are considering a Caliber, I would strongly recommend that you talk to a Caliber owner. I absolutely LOVE my Caliber.

LaLeLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2006, 19:52   #7

Boat: Nauticat 42
Since the Caliber and Island Packet Factories are located close to each other, why not tour both?

We toured the IP factory when we were shopping for a new boat, and they were quite willing to show prospective customers around. (As you may guess, we bought neither a Caliber nor an IP)
Naughty Cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 05:15   #8

That's interesting. We looked at IPs and Nauticats (35) and decided on the Caliber. IPs and Calibers are really comparable in my opinion - but certainly not the same. They each have their strong points and weaknesses. I didn't mean to slam IPs above - I was just trying to defend Calibers.
Old 25-09-2006, 09:10   #9

Best advice I can give is purchase used and get more for your money.
Jack Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 09:23   #10

Boat: Nauticat 42
Good advice, Jack. I'll do that next time (and trade down to a used Sunfish).
Naughty Cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 10:08   #11

Caliber LRC 40

I'm glad to be back from a summer of sailing. The comments from previous and current owners are most valuable. I realize that if price is a major concern then buying a used boat will possibly maximize the dollars spent.

I enjoyed equipping our current boat (that we purchased new) with exactly the items I felt were necessary. So, I am planning on again purchasing and equipping a new boat; as it is highly unlikely that a fairly new model equipped the way I want will be available.

Our plans do not include long ocean passages, mainly we are interested in island hopping and coastal cruising in the Caribbean during the winter months. These thoughts have allowed us to narrow down the number of boats that we are interested in. I appreciate the efforts of all the people that have responded.

Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts with me.

Greg
Old 26-09-2006, 12:39   #12

Nice reply. #1 if you dont want advice don't ask for it.
#2 with your attitude a sunfish might be better.
Old 26-09-2006, 13:05   #13

The surveyor that did our last survey said something that I agreed with. He said that he would never buy a new boat b/c "boats need time to get rid of their childhood diseases". Trade off for getting new/as you want it right out of the box, is that you have to go thru the new-boat warranty crap.
Old 26-09-2006, 13:07   #14

Hi Jack

Thanks for your posts. I imagine that you are referring to me as #1, if so, then I would ask you to review my original posting. I specifically asked for input from people with personal experience with the Caliber LRC 40; to me I find that personal experience is more relevant than just hearsay. After re-reading your post it did not mention that you owned or had personal experience with a Caliber LRC 40. I interpreted your advice as saying I should buy a used boat. Perhaps I was wrong! I am not asking what I should buy, rather I 'm asking about a specific boat, the Caliber LRC 40. I do appreciate your input and view point.

Cheers
Greg
Old 27-09-2006, 10:51   #15

Sorry I must have just taken your reply wrong. When my wife Ruth and I started to consider a larger boat the Caliber was our fist choice. They are flat out good boats. In line with looking at boats we did our homework less going to the factory. We did find several 40s that were near new for a substancial savings. Even today .
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...&toPrice=&cint=

I think if you want a new boat then go for it . Personal experiance though has tought me not to take the depreciation hit. Purchase slightly used and spend the money saved on toys for the boat or an upgrade or Two. My wife Ruth and I presently own a Formosa 51. Not a performance cruiser but one hell of a nice home. Best wishes in your adventure .