Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2006, 17:53   #16

Boat: Mason 43 cutter
I'm sure Jerry King would be more than happy to tell of his caliber 40 experiences.

http://www.svmirador.net/
Rod Headlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006, 05:31   #17

Boat: Caliber 40 - LaLeLu
This picture and quote from the web page listed in the post above says a lot about the boat.

The picture to the right was taken sailing downwind in 50 knots between La Paz and Puerto Vallarta Mexico. Mirador did 7.8 - 8.2 knots for five hours with an 80% genoa.
http://www.svmirador.net/MiradorInDetail.htm
LaLeLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006, 10:51   #18

Boat: Catalina 387
Hi Jack

Thanks for the follow-up message. Your boat looks great, I love the classic lines of it; I'm sure you receive many compliments. I was pleased to read that you also considered a Caliber when you were looking to purchase your next boat. I'm seriously considering your suggestion regarding the depreciation hit on a new boat, thanks for taking the time to include the link to Yachtworld.

Both my wife and I love sailing out West especially between Vancouver Island and the mainland. We plan more on sailing out there, so perhaps our paths will cross in the future

Cheers
Greg
Greg Riach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006, 11:11   #19

Hi LaLeLu and Rod

Thanks for the links, I have visited Jerry's pages before. I was most surprised to see how this boat was prepared for hurricane Marty. I do not understand why the sails are still up, furled but still up, the solar panels, the dodger and the binimi are still up!!!

When I first saw the Caliber advertisement with the picture of his boat on the beach I could not believe that this is how a boat is prepared for a hurricane. I thought that the owner must have been caught totally unaware or was absent from the boat. That the boat survived says alot about Caliber's build quality.

Thanks for your input

Greg
Old 28-09-2006, 11:15   #20

HI LaLeLu

I love the look of your Caliber. I appreciate you sharing your experiences, to me, the personal experiences of other owners are most helpful.

Thanks again
Greg
Old 01-10-2016, 13:36   #21

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC
Re: Caliber LRC 40

My wife and I just bought a 2001 Caliber 40 LRC. Sold as ready-to-sail, this LRC was neglected for a number of years, spending its last 2-1/2 years 'on the hard.' Windlass needed reconnecting (the electrical solenoid switch had been stolen), nd lots of electrolysis made many updates a serious hassle. All things one might expect on a poorly-maintained boat. The owner had money, and had thrown this into electronics, hardware and spares (specs LOOKED good), but apparently did not do her own work, and repairs were hacked by people in St Martin. Radar housing was cracked. The Furuno radar worked, but electrolysis meant it would not for long. We had to replace the masthead weather sensor and as all electronic are now fully digital this means we're still replacing electronics. this issue will come up with any older (1990s to early 2000s) boats, however.

Steering was not maintained and the Whitlock systems cable had come so loose steering gave out on us on the Columbia River. Thank God it was at slack tide and only a few yards from our slip (it made it 9 hours up river without failing...I have 'guardian angels!').

The story (in this blog) about tank cracks seems unlikely. Also, there are TWO separate tanks, so why did this alleged owner now use the OTHER tank?

All tank connections are actually easily accessible, although ALL of the hardware and connections in a 'pan' (production) boat are notoriously hard to get to. This is a bane all production boat people must deal with. Lots of hidden stuff, burried between bulkheads and the 'pan' glass installations.

Our 40 Caliber LRC hull seemed solid, but the Dolphin Striker SS fitting on the stem seems to have suffered some stress, and has a hairline fracture (perhaps from an anchor chain accident)?

Overall, we're still fixing the problems due to overall neglect and aging. She seems an OK boat and shows no hull-deck leaks, chain plates are solid, and the deck and hull showed no moisture, so: so far, so good.

If I'd had the money to retrofit an older boat, I'd likely have bought a Tswell 43 and poured 100,000 into her in updates. Alas, I am NOT wealthy enough and our total retrofit costs will probably top out at $190,000 for the boat, with new electronics, shipped from the East Coast (cost for shipping alone, 13.,600) to Oregon.
iamdorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 14:06   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdorian View Post
The story (in this blog) about tank cracks seems unlikely. Also, there are TWO separate tanks, so why did this alleged owner now use the OTHER tank?

All tank connections are actually easily accessible, although ALL of the hardware and connections in a 'pan' (production) boat are notoriously hard to get to. This is a bane all production boat people must deal with. Lots of hidden stuff, burried between bulkheads and the 'pan' glass installations.
Tank problems are real. Exercise caution when filled fuel & water tanks. Keep your vents clean, do not use high speed fuel delivery pumps, & refrain from inserting the hose into the H2O tank deck fills & walking away.

IMHO, the construction of the tank tops & baffles leave much to be desired. Should you ever need to repair the tank top on the outboard edges, you will find that significant interior lower cabinetry is needed.
old frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:25   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, iamdorian.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:47   #24

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdorian View Post
Our 40 Caliber LRC hull seemed solid, but the Dolphin Striker SS fitting on the stem seems to have suffered some stress, and has a hairline fracture (perhaps from an anchor chain accident)?
I'm curious, you say dolphin striker- does your Caliber have a striker on the bowsprit? Mine is just a single rod from the front of the sprit to the hull. Do you have a photo?
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:36   #25

Boat: Irwin 52 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Riach View Post
We are considering buying a new Caliber LRC 40, we would appreciate any user information. I would like to communicate with anyone that has personal experience with the Caliber LRC 40 sailboat.

Greg
Greg, we're also considering a Caliber 40 - did you end up buying? Would love to hear an update.

Thanks.
RC402 is offline   Reply With Quote