Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2016, 21:05   #1

Boat: 1974 Cal T/4
Cal T/4 Boston to Bradenton Advice Tips Warnings Prayers?

As fate or luck would have it the boat of my dreams was located in Boston, 1974 Cal T/4. I must be in Bradenton Florida by Christmas for our annual family gathering, which I have sailed to once before; Fort Myers, Bradenton, Tarpon Springs, then return. It's probably going to be October 19 to 21 before I can set sail from Boston. I tried to make this trip four years ago, but never got out of the Chesapeake Bay, then again three years ago, but only made it to Lake Montauk from Lynn MA. I absolutely have to sail, I couldn't live with myself if I trailered the boat, then never got the chance to make the voyage by sea again. I know I'm leaving a bit late in the season, in a small boat, and staring down a long voyage. I've read "Running The Ditch" "The Boat Who Wouldn't Float" and I've watched Ant Steward's documentary. Who else has done it in a little boat? Late or early in the season? A million times? Operates a Lighthouse? Tugboat? Church? Any advice, or tips would be appreciated. Thanks, FS
ForeverSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 03:23   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Cal T/4 Boston to Bradenton Advice Tips Warnings Prayers?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, SR.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 05:28   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

FS,
Ive made the trip many times on both my own vessels and as a delivery Captain. The dicey part is the northern part; there is little "inside" and what is there has shoaled quite a bit. For instance, the last time I transited the NJ area inside, I was seeing as little as 4' in the channel. If you have the luxury of time in port, you can pick your next stop based on hull speed and weather windows, thereby avoiding the short, steep, seas common in the area. You can duck in at Cape May taking the canal to the Delaware, then on to the CD canal (be wary of the "big guys") to the Chesapeake (which can get snotty even though inside).

From there on to Bradenton, other than a few exceptions you can stay mostly inside. Some of the river/bay crossings can seem like open ocean though when there is a blow.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:00   #4

Thanks Capngeo, great advice!
Old 10-10-2016, 15:26   #5

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

Before you go, I'd advise you to check with your insurance company to see when you can go below the Ga / Fl boarder. Also the ICW is a mess from Mathew and will be for several weeks. Luv your dream but don't let it overshadow good judgement. JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:17   #6

Send a message via AIM to cynthia-m

Another book you may find helpful about cruising the ICW is Linda Petrat's "A Great Big Adventure on a Good Little Boat". She went from Rye, NH to Sarasota, FL in a 22' Pearson, single-handed.
cynthia-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 21:25   #7

Thanks for the book recommendation Cynthia! I've also picked up "Sailing In A Spoonful Of Water" good stuff. Thank you everyone for the advice and recommendations. FS
Old 11-10-2016, 21:31   #8

Thank you for the great advice Scrimshaw4. I'm looking forward to a great adventure! FS
Old 12-10-2016, 04:52   #9

Send a message via AIM to cynthia-m

FS, Linda P left on her 22' Pearson in October as well. In her book she also mentioned having "Anchorages Along the ICW", as an invaluable guide with tips on gunk holes, etc, written by Skipper Bob. I haven't picked up the book yet but plan to before we go down the ICW next year.
Best of luck!!
Cynthia
cynthia-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 15:45   #10

Thanks Cynthia! I just got to Florida after driving 700 miles to get to my cache of boating equipment, which I will sort through tomorrow. I will try not to take everything with me! Let's see, will I need four power inverters, two 400w, a 2500w, and a 5,000w!? Very excited about the trip, though proceeding cautiously. Thanks for all of the great advice! FS

Tags
cal