Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2009, 21:12   #31

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Have your surveyor spend a lot of time checking out the core in both hull and deck,contrary to the usual bs C&Cs were not particularly well built and wet cores are common.That said they were better than average designs and most were good performers and nice looking too. Good luck,i hope you have found a good one.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 21:16   #32
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"This boat should have a strong electric windlass.
"
This is a C&C, not a Hunter. C&C's are racers first and foremost (the Landfall line was the express cruiser version) and dead weight on the bow would NOT be normal for one. For a cruiser conversion, and someone who liked to anchor out (as opposed to marinas) it makes sense--but that's just one slice of the pie.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 01:50   #33

Boat: 36' Magellan "Steady Beat"
I am fairly new to the boat buying process, but quickly learned that the surveyor is neither a diesel mechanic nor a rigger - the two areas which arguably drain your wallet the fastest. My recommendation would be to, in addition to the survey, let a respected local mechanic and rigger loose on-board before you close the deal.

Good luck,

BWS
BlueWaterSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 06:44   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWaterSail View Post
I am fairly new to the boat buying process, but quickly learned that the surveyor is neither a diesel mechanic nor a rigger - the two areas which arguably drain your wallet the fastest. My recommendation would be to, in addition to the survey, let a respected local mechanic and rigger loose on-board before you close the deal.

Good luck,

BWS
A good surveyor should certainly be able to diagnose any problems a diesel is exhibiting and also identify rigging problems at the deck level. These are not rocket science issues. My last surveyor was very good, others I have hired, not so much. The key in hiring a surveyor is recommendations and pre-survey discussion to determine whether or not he/she will earn the money you pay them. There are some good ones out there, but finding them is difficult.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 16:26   #35

Boat: C&C 38'
Angry What? No airconditioner!

It has been very hot in South Texas lately.
We were at my sister-in-law's when I said that I hoped that we could stand anchoring out during the summer.
My wife said, "I thought you said that this boat was air-conditioned."
I replied, "Yes but we can only run the air conditioner while we are connected to shore power. The batteries are not capable of running the air conditioner while at anchor."
My wife said, "Why are we buying this boat if you can't run the air conditioner at anchor!"
My sister-in-law said, "First you want a boat with no bathtub and now you say that it has no air conditioner! Every woman wants a bathtub! After you get sunburned you take a bath, put on talcum powder and go to bed under the air conditioner!"
She was just getting warmed up. “The first thing that you have to do is buy a power generator to put on that boat. It is bad enough that you drag her off to a tiny little sailboat; now we find out that it doesn’t even have a bathtub! This is the dumbest thing that you have ever done. No air conditioner! You can’t live in Corpus Christi with no air conditioner. You must put a generator on that boat like Daddy did on our motor home. We ran the generator every night that we stayed in that little motor home.”
I have fled to Kemah for the marine survey and sea trial while my wife stays with that sister-in-law.
Should I just send my wife money for a bus ticket home or should I return to the hospitality of my in-laws to get her?
Oh boy, the unexpected problems with the anti-boat in-laws. (My brother-in-law said, “Jerry this is the dumbest thing you have ever done.”)
Old 15-07-2009, 17:31   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Sailer View Post
It has been very hot in South Texas lately.
We were at my sister-in-law's when I said that I hoped that we could stand anchoring out during the summer.
My wife said, "I thought you said that this boat was air-conditioned."
I replied, "Yes but we can only run the air conditioner while we are connected to shore power. The batteries are not capable of running the air conditioner while at anchor."
My wife said, "Why are we buying this boat if you can't run the air conditioner at anchor!"
My sister-in-law said, "First you want a boat with no bathtub and now you say that it has no air conditioner! Every woman wants a bathtub! After you get sunburned you take a bath, put on talcum powder and go to bed under the air conditioner!"
She was just getting warmed up. “The first thing that you have to do is buy a power generator to put on that boat. It is bad enough that you drag her off to a tiny little sailboat; now we find out that it doesn’t even have a bathtub! This is the dumbest thing that you have ever done. No air conditioner! You can’t live in Corpus Christi with no air conditioner. You must put a generator on that boat like Daddy did on our motor home. We ran the generator every night that we stayed in that little motor home.”
I have fled to Kemah for the marine survey and sea trial while my wife stays with that sister-in-law.
Should I just send my wife money for a bus ticket home or should I return to the hospitality of my in-laws to get her?
Oh boy, the unexpected problems with the anti-boat in-laws. (My brother-in-law said, “Jerry this is the dumbest thing you have ever done.”)
I would suggest you tell your sister-in-law that she is welcome to go out with you on your boat. Just make sure to remind her to bring a 55-gallon steel drum and a few bags of cement mix along for the ride

her comments make me rage.
CruiserHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 18:17   #37
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

In Texas, it is legal to shoot a sister-in-law in order to preserve a marriage, isn't it?

Of course, there's reasons why places like Texas were never developed until well after the advent of air condiitoning and massive irrigation projects. Could be time to move north to Maine. With or without the wimminfolk.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 14:16   #38
CLOD

Boat: none
Join Seatow or TowBoat US. I went aground taking my boat the first time in a channel that missing markers. So if I had had a memebrship I would have saved $1600. if I had it and never used it I would be out like $100.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 15:24   #39

Quote:
Every woman wants a bathtub!
I once was on a 36' Bayfield that, amazingly enough, had a bathtub. How can I contact your wife?

Just trying to help.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 16:46   #40

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
In Texas, it is legal to shoot a sister-in-law in order to preserve a marriage, isn't it?
No, but I believe that in Texas if you catch your wife in bed with another man, it's justifiable homicide to shoot her.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 19:13   #41

The survey uncovered some issues. The seller may not wish to make the required repairs. If so I can walk away.
I have neither the financial nor the emotional investment in this particular boat that would preclude me from looking elsewhere.
I still like the boat. I can wait a little while before we must move on but not for a long time, say two months max.
It was a long, hard day. I am very tired. I will report more later.
Old 16-07-2009, 23:29   #42

Boat: Gullfstar 50
Quote:
The survey uncovered some issues. The seller may not wish to make the required repairs. If so I can walk away.
I have neither the financial nor the emotional investment in this particular boat that would preclude me from looking elsewhere.
I still like the boat. I can wait a little while before we must move on but not for a long time, say two months max.
It was a long, hard day. I am very tired. I will report more later.
The survey uncovered SOME issues. ROFLMFAO That boat has more then SOME issues. I found you a perfect project. Judging from its location, I would assume it was floating when it got here. With a little elbow grease she'll be as good as new. Hope your disability is not tennis elbow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SailboatWreck.sized.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	8970  
Dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2009, 02:03   #43
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Sounds like the S-I-L is the real deal breaker - good luck with this aspect.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2009, 16:08   #44

The Haul Out

The engine started very quickly. There was no smoke and the flow of water out the exhaust seemed just fine. In about 30 seconds the flow of water ceased. Mechanics were summoned. They arrived quickly. They reported that the water pump impeller was in good shape. The strainer let a nice flow of water into the bilge. The rest of the salt-water side of the coolant system seemed fine. The mechanics put everything back together.
The engine was started. There was no water flow out of the exhaust. The mechanics opened her up and went back and checked everything. By the way, I could not see what he was doing because the mechanic had to lay on top of the engine and he used up all of the available room. He looked like he was treating engine hemorrhoids from the inside out! I am bigger than the mechanic so I don’t look forward to that job while we are out cruising!
The travel lift was rescheduled from 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm.
A diver was summoned. He dived twice and reported that the intake was clean. The travel lift was called and the haul out was rescheduled for the next day at 8:00 am. The mechanics were asked to report at 7:30 to rig a hose over the side and go with us to the travel lift.
I had to arrange another day. I got up the next day at 5:05 am and had breakfast and beat the mechanics to the boat. That was easy since they did not get there until 8:00 am. They arranged the hose over the side and we were on our way. If we went too fast the hose rose to the surface and gulped air.
We got to the travel lift and the haul out went smoothly. The surveyor started his second day of survey. The mechanics replaced the thru-hull. The ball valve was stuck shut even though the handle turned.
We were taking pictures when the surveyor noticed that the rudder was bent. The cutlass bearing had a little play. The prop looked good. There were very slight blisters.
We splashed the boat and were on our way after I paid the yard for haul out and power wash. The broker opened the throttle and we noticed an unacceptable vibration. The broker looked at me. I think that he saw a sale going South.
Boy, this boat buying is great fun! I can’t remember when I have had so much fun. The ski trip when I broke my leg and drove home before I got a cast comes to mind.
I shall sleep and decide what to do.
Old 17-07-2009, 17:38   #45

So let's see:

1. Some undetermined problem with the engine (vibration). Perhaps related to overheating due the lack of cooling raw water.
2. Bent rudder.
3. Blisters.

I had mentioned a few days ago that I could not understand why a more powerful engine was not selected for the repower. What does your surveyor think of the engine situation? Obviously the engine and rudder both need repair. And the blisters will only get worse in the warm water of the gulf... eventually that will have to be dealt with.

This is too many problems IMO. Three major problems. It's unfortunate that you invested so much time and the cost of the survey and haul out. IMO these problems should have been disclosed to you before you committed to the survey. The owner and broker should have known about them and disclosed them to you.

If I were in your place, I would stay away from this boat and this broker. It's a buyer's market and there are plenty of good boats out there, but it sounds like this boat is not one of them.

Try to get your surveyor to do the next survey at a reduced rate. And I can recommend an excellent little book that you can use to do your own pre-survey on the next boat to help you avoid a repeat of this situation.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote