Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2009, 15:10   #1

Pull Boat During the Winter Months?

Alright I have a bit of a dilemma at this point in time.

I have begun making a list of "things that I need to do to my boat", and let me tell you it is quite enlightening the amount of work that needs to be done (who said sailing was going to be cheap? get 'em in here - I want to give him a piece of my mind lol). Anyways - I have basically two MAIN options: leave the boat in the water at the marina during winter or have it pulled and stored on the dry?

If it stays in the water, it will cost ~$1600 (includes electricity and bubblers for the freezing water).

If I take it out, it will cost about $1000 (if I leave the mast on) or ~1600 if I have the mast taken off.

On my list of things to do are
-repaint and recoat the bottom
-top end engine rebuild

so on that note, it seems like it makes perfect sense to take it out, right? If that is so - then is there any reason why I should take my mast off? I mean sure the spreader lights dont work, and I was considering installing a roller furling (dont have one currently) - but other than that the mast is PERFECT. The stays are nice and tight, everything is straight, I just dont want to mess up something so good

1) dry or wet?
2) if dry, then mast off or mast on?
3) any good links to articles or how-to's on redoing the bottom of the boat? (procedures, good products to use, etc)

CruiserHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 15:24   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Dry. A lot less to worry about. As far as the mast goes I don't know your location but if there's a danger of freezing rain or ice buildup I would prefer to take the mast down and store it. Here in Toronto most places store with the masts down. One year our boats were covered with about two feet of ice from a severe storm. In Florida (where I also store a boat) we leave the mast up. $1000 for out and in and winter storage sounds very reasonable to me. Another $600 for doing the stick sounds a bit much. I am assuming that the boat is around 30 feet.
Old 15-07-2009, 16:01   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Dry. A lot less to worry about. As far as the mast goes I don't know your location but if there's a danger of freezing rain or ice buildup I would prefer to take the mast down and store it. Here in Toronto most places store with the masts down. One year our boats were covered with about two feet of ice from a severe storm. In Florida (where I also store a boat) we leave the mast up. $1000 for out and in and winter storage sounds very reasonable to me. Another $600 for doing the stick sounds a bit much. I am assuming that the boat is around 30 feet.
yea. Price quoted was about $30 a foot for the boat, plus 14/ft for the mast, and I'm not sure how tall my mast is (It looks really really tall when compared to similar boats in my marina, like an extra 8 feet it seems)

1975 catalina 30

About the freezing rain: isnt there a drain or something at the bottom of the mast usually? It'll be in Connecticut either way - so it does get cold out here
CruiserHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote