Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2008, 15:41   #1

Boat: Cal 2-27 liveaboard and Moore 24 racer
Bounty II Thread

hello,
in 6 days, my house in texass closes. i have a deposit on a 1961 Palmer Johnson Bounty II in San Diego. I am going to begin living on the boat and sailing it immediately in preparation for a circumnavigation. i am not asking about how to equip the boat, i am asking for people's personal experiences relating to this model of boat. I have already done a google search and read pretty much everything it brought up. im hoping that there are some other bounty ii owners who could share information with me just regarding the boat and whatnot. like needed repairs, or engine upgrades theyve made, or maybe someone's evaluation of the boat who at one time sailed one, or used to own one, or pretty much whatever. thanks for any info.

ronnie simpson
ronniesimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 15:57   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
ronnie, Did some extensive work on a couple of Bounty's on the Chesapeake a while back. They are great boats, way over built, sail very well and are very pleasing to the eye. You have made a great choice. The problems would relate to the care and maintenance the boat has received by the previous owners. BTW, where in Texas will you be? The biggest issue I came across were deck leaks that were left for too long a time, and haphazard electrical work done by less than skilled owners. I believe one held the Marion to Bermuda record for quite some time.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 17:53   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
Check out this website of a couple who did a refit and are now cruising Mexico on a Bounty II. Welcome to our Web site

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 18:16   #4

im sorry, my house in texass is closing, because it is sold. the boat is in san diego. thanks for the reply.
Old 18-03-2008, 18:49   #5

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
I wonder if thats the same '61 we looked at at the end of last year. If so it looked solid and very well equiped but was in need of some tlc to make it a livable space. Very capable looking boat though and seemed to me that if we had more time to sort out the details it was excellent value for money. While we were looking at it a Bounty II owner from the next slip over came up and sang the boat's praises - said it sailed itself upwind.

Greyish hull, some yellow trim and a custom solid dodger?
theonecalledtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 20:28   #6

theonecalledtom, i fell in love with that boat from the moment i found it on yachtworld.com. yeah, its the same boat. i flew to SD last month and went on a sea trial, and put down a deposit. for my needs and budget, its perfect.
Old 19-03-2008, 01:05   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Congratulations on a good choice.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 22:05   #8

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
Ronnie - I guess we'll see you out and about in the bay - Enjoy!
theonecalledtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 08:24   #9

Hello there. I know i missed this thread by quite a while, but I am looking for fellow Bounty II owners, especially in Europe. There doesn't appear to be an up to date list of yachts and owners! Please email me on ben at welovemobile.co.uk.
tiare honolulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 17:36   #10

Talking Bounty II 41 ft Rhodes

I have one is a 1959 and it sail like a dream and is very pleasing to the eye, is a pointer you can sail real close to the wind and probably one of the stronges boats bilt in fiberglass is olmost 2" inches thick you will be a a happy sailor
S/V La Amante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 21:14   #11

Re: Bounty II Thread

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and I just bought a Bounty II from 1957. Does anyone know if there is a specialized section for this beauty or other threads about it? I am in search for info of engine refit, hull number, deck fabrication, etc. Any insight will be appreciated.
firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2016, 10:28   #12

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

Congratulations on your purchase. I have always thought Rhodes had exquisite lines.
Old 23-05-2016, 09:31   #13

Yes, thanks. I've been working and living aboard my Pearson 35 for three years but had my doubts about it's blue water capabilities although I had thought about the upgrades it would need to overcome its deficiencies. Now, with the Bounty II I'll be able to sail into the Pacific with total confidence.
Old 24-05-2016, 08:15   #14
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehorse View Post
Yes, thanks. I've been working and living aboard my Pearson 35 for three years but had my doubts about it's blue water capabilities although I had thought about the upgrades it would need to overcome its deficiencies. Now, with the Bounty II I'll be able to sail into the Pacific with total confidence.
Just in case you don't know, Ronnie lost his Bounty on a crossing to Hawaii - http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ice-20095.html

Check out the rudder on that Bounty II before you set sail.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 10:06   #15

Thanks for telling me about the rudder issue, but is Ronnie OK? Do you know where could I read more about it?