Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2014, 05:56   #1

Bollard Starfire

After a few years away from the sea and being a little more creaky in the joints, I am looking at a larger motor sailer with some room and comforts, compared to my little trailer sailer at least. Can anyone talk to me about the Bolard Starfire? I know the design is a bit old but I am looking to sail the east coast of Australia. Nothing too adventurous, but a lot of fun. I'd appreciate your comments.
dreamer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 06:10   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Bollard Starfire

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, dreamer52.
I think CF member Wotname* used to sail a Starfire.

* ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ame-10389.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 23:29   #3

Boat: Southern Ocean 32

hey dreamer
I sail one. What do you want to know
pikv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 03:30   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer52 View Post
After a few years away from the sea and being a little more creaky in the joints, I am looking at a larger motor sailer with some room and comforts, compared to my little trailer sailer at least. Can anyone talk to me about the Bolard Starfire? I know the design is a bit old but I am looking to sail the east coast of Australia. Nothing too adventurous, but a lot of fun. I'd appreciate your comments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, dreamer52.
I think CF member Wotname* used to sail a Starfire.

* ➥ Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: Wotname
Yes, welcome aboard. Gordmay is correct (as usual ), I did have a Starfire back in the 80's in Qld.

Being amateur built, there are sure to be a wide variation in final design. The one I had would hardly qualify as a motor-sailor but perhaps some exist.

I liked the steel hull and her sailing ability was reasonable for the day. I lived aboard for a year or so and also spent a year cruising the Qld coast. I certainly have fond memories of the design but perhaps my view is coloured as she was my first cruising love.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 03:58   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikv View Post
hey dreamer
I sail one. What do you want to know
I am looking around for a yacht with full standing room, kind to the skipper and a bit forgiving. I am after safety and pleasure rather than speed or performance. Wheel steering and a good diesel and comfortable accommodation are necessary.
I had a Sea Bita 20ft trailer sailer and it had a design flaw so My next yacht is going to be thoroughly investigated.
What I want to know is your opinion of the yacht. Would you recommend it and why. I'd appreciate your input.
Old 22-07-2014, 04:01   #6

Thank you so much Wotname. Your recommendation is appreciated. The model sounds like the sort of craft I would enjoy.
Old 22-07-2014, 04:44   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

East coast not adventurous? Doh, mate, get a chart!

;-)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 04:44   #8
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

FWIW, mine had wheel steering, about 6 ft or so of headroom and I fitted a Yanmar 2GM20 which was more than ample.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 04:57   #9

Boat: Southern Ocean 32

Hey dreamer
Like wotname stated there are many variations to this design. Mine is one of those wonderful variations. She's a twin keeler and amongst the racing fraternity here quite a strange duck. She does have standing room if you're not too tall but tiller steered as most of them seem to be, but not all. I too like the safe hull although I would prefer to have to do less maintenance. If you are planning on getting one I'd suggest you check her over fully as it will be oldish and the hull could be thin in places or rust could be hidden. Anyway you asked what I like about her. I like her safety as we have five kids so steel hull was a requirement for me. She's also pretty stiff even with the twin keels which helps stopping the little ones going overboard I like the fact that she's an Aussie design but what I like most is that you can change anything you want in and out as with most steel boats. It certainly isn't a motor sailer although she is slow at 5.5 knots if you're lucky and mine had the sail plan lowered to allow for the shoal draught which didn't help. Anyway she's had plenty of mods and many more to come. As for the engine there will be a mix of those around with this design so you'll have to take it on a CBC basis. What I like most is that she's different and she's mine. I'm probable going on. Let me know if you want more or pics of some different ones etc

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
pikv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 06:02   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
East coast not adventurous? Doh, mate, get a chart!

;-)

b.
Hi Barnakiel,
I smiled with your comment about the East Coast. My meaning is that I am not planning to cross the Pacific. I plan to keep safe and within easy travelling of a safe port. There is plenty of excitement for me on the East Coast.
Old 23-07-2014, 06:07   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikv View Post
Hey dreamer
Like wotname stated there are many variations to this design. Mine is one of those wonderful variations. She's a twin keeler and amongst the racing fraternity here quite a strange duck. She does have standing room if you're not too tall but tiller steered as most of them seem to be, but not all. I too like the safe hull although I would prefer to have to do less maintenance. If you are planning on getting one I'd suggest you check her over fully as it will be oldish and the hull could be thin in places or rust could be hidden. Anyway you asked what I like about her. I like her safety as we have five kids so steel hull was a requirement for me. She's also pretty stiff even with the twin keels which helps stopping the little ones going overboard I like the fact that she's an Aussie design but what I like most is that you can change anything you want in and out as with most steel boats. It certainly isn't a motor sailer although she is slow at 5.5 knots if you're lucky and mine had the sail plan lowered to allow for the shoal draught which didn't help. Anyway she's had plenty of mods and many more to come. As for the engine there will be a mix of those around with this design so you'll have to take it on a CBC basis. What I like most is that she's different and she's mine. I'm probable going on. Let me know if you want more or pics of some different ones etc

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Hi Pikv,
Thanks for all that. You have confirmed what I was considering about the design. Being an older design will lower the price but I will need to check her out thoroughly as you have mentioned. There are so many designs to choose from I figure, to get another boat, choosing a design first would make the choice easier. Thank you.
Old 23-07-2014, 06:28   #12

Boat: a sailing boat

Yep. We sailed Cairns to Darwin, inshore. If we ever can, we are coming back for more! Amazing landscapes, empty anchorages, very few, very friendly, people.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote