Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2004, 22:07   #31

Alberg 29, 30, Cape Dory 28, 30, 33, Baba 30+ Your price is realy going to dictate what you get maket wise. All the others you mention are great boats to but if your going to go off shore at all go for a heavier displacement and a modofied or full keel. Stay away from vessels like a Catalina 30 for off shore. Although they are good for room they pound like hell on the larger waves.
Jack Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 05:25   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farr 11.6 (AKA Farr 38) Synergy
If he was going to go offshore I would suggest that Maui would be better off with a design that spread the high displacements of boats like Alberg 29, 30, Cape Dory 28, 30, 33, Baba 30+ over a longer waterline. He would end up with a boat that was more seaworthy, comfortable, easier to handle, more burdensome, had better motion comfort and better sailing ability in all conditions and points of sail. It might even be less expensive to buy and own. I agree with you about the Cat 30 not being a good choice for offshore sailing.

Jeff
Jeff H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2004, 18:01   #33

Well first let me say that the info provided by the replies are great and i agree with most, its wonderful so many are willing to give there time to answer such inquires.
I have owned so many boats in my life and spend roughly 150 days at sea a year on all shapes and sizes.My current love is a ocean 71 of 14 years and has performed expectently on two separate 10,000 miles plus cruises.i expect every year to spend roughly 23% of its value in maintance.
What i have found in my adventures is that most boats will take far more punishment that the skipper and crew can.
When i go boat shopping,I try to stay aboard a day or two and tear it apart.Does it satisfy me ? my Wife,the kids,my engineer friend,my bank.If it passes that! I then sick a couple of more friends on it to tear it apart, and a surveyor who does not know the boat or owner.
Only then do i make a real offer.

1. What am i going to do with the boat.
2.Where am i going to use it
3.Will it accomadate the amount of crew i wish, and the family dog.
4.Can i afford it,insurance ,maintance.
5.How much more do i invest in it, to do what i want it to do safely and logically.
6.resale value,whats that!

I believe its what you feel comfortable sailing.
How much experience do you have, be worried about the boats capabilility, but worry as much about the crews.
We have met people from all over the world in boats i would not sail more than two days at a time, in the furthest places from there home ports you can think of.

The best part of sailing is you! your attitude and a little luck

Fair Winds
lt4supr
lt4supr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2004, 12:12   #34

Weighing in from Boise

We own a Nor'sea 27 on a trailer. Since we live in Idaho, this makes sense because we can trailer south in January and be "where butter melts" in about 2 1/2 days - or the San Juans in the summer. Big lakes in northern Idaho are not off-limits, either. Yes, it is a big boat for trailering, but fits many of the needs you posted yet gives us quick transportability and options. At least it is another boat for you to consider. Happy hunting....
SteveSwann is offline   Reply With Quote