Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2017, 19:46   #16

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII
Re: Boat angel/Ebay legit or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
AKA: I have a 4.0 GPA. Those people that still have a life and have consequently allowed their GPA to slip to 3.8 are total hosers.
Exactly.
ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 11:45   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValiantV View Post
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...ms=neutral_180

As I said, as someone who buys and sells on eBay a lot, one has to look at the details.

Most people don't want to post negative or even neutral reviews - especially for a charity. In fact, eBay changed its feedback policy because sellers were actually posting negative comments and feedback as "payback".

Read a few of the comments. Decide if YOU want to be the guy who gets a boat with misrepresented condition or unlisted problems.

BTW "good" feedback is 100% positive. I've been on eBay for more years than most people have known about its existence and have 100% positive feedback.
I have bought several boats for the years from Boat Angel and never had any issue. They are very fair and easy to deal with.. just bid assuming the worst and if you win you're ahead of the game.
Ericson Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 17:56   #18

Boat: 1935 33' Falmouth Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
Buying used stuff on internet auctions is risky. Buying used boats that are donated to charity is likely even more so. With great risk comes great rewards and/or great losses. It is risky, risky, risky.

I am amazed that a seller of used boats can achieve a 99.8% feedback rating.
Four years later, their rating is 100% with almost 14,000 seemingly satisfied customers. It's hard to give a bad rating to a boat that's even in fair condition for less than $500, all in. I've spent more than that for a new tire.
Salty Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 01:57   #19

Guys this is a site that has buyer beware written all over it not a retail outlet. It is for worn out boats that someone cannot sell so they get to write it off as a donation.
rnanaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:55   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnanaples View Post
Guys this is a site that has buyer beware written all over it not a retail outlet. It is for worn out boats that someone cannot sell so they get to write it off as a donation.
It has been effectively used on Ebay for years. Some real bargains have passed through there. But yes... be careful! You are buying a donated boat of little known condition and you have to go get it or arrange shipping.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 19:55   #21

Boat: Tartan 3800

The best way to understand Boat Angel is to read and compare the terms they give to donators and buyers.

For donators, they offer a means of getting rid of a boat without dealing with an endless stream of potential buyers who want to inspect the boat. The donator does not have to make any guarantees about the condition of the boat or answer any questions. Boat Angel has been successful in defining the terms of the transaction to be hands-off in a way that individual sellers simply can not do. They are able to move boats that are worth little and that are not of interest to brokers or dealers.

For buyers, well, the low prices reflect that fact that you have no guarantees and nothing to go on besides the photos.